Back to Kotlin for Java Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Kotlin for Java Developers by JetBrains

The Kotlin programming language is a modern language that gives you more power for your everyday tasks. Kotlin is concise, safe, pragmatic, and focused on interoperability with Java code. It can be used almost everywhere Java is used today: for server-side development, Android apps, and much more. Kotlin is 100% compatible with all existing Java frameworks, and has good tooling support. It’s a pragmatic language with a very low learning curve, and can be quickly grasped by Java developers. Kotlin code might be compiled not only to JVM bytecode but to JavaScript and Native code as well, but this course is focused on Kotlin/JVM. This course aims to share with you the power and the beauty of Kotlin. We'll have a basic overview of the language, as well as a discussion of many corner cases, especially concerning Java interoperability. The course is based on your Java experience; it shows the similarities between the two languages and focuses on what's going to be different. Note that this course won't cover the programming fundamentals. We'll discuss: basic syntax, nullability, functional programming with Kotlin, object-oriented programming with Kotlin, the power of the Kotlin standard library, and Java interoperability....

YY

Feb 11, 2019

This course is a very comprehensive and detailed introduction to Kotlin. However, it would be even better if it could include the generics part which is the most difficult but quite frequently used.

CD

Mar 05, 2019

Excellent coverage of core Kotlin concepts with plenty of good exercises. I look forward to the advanced Kotlin courses mentioned in the conclusion, covering DSLs, generics, coroutines, and more.

1 - 25 of 110 Reviews for Kotlin for Java Developers

By Ciro

May 13, 2019

This course is good to learn Kotlin basics, well structured and the exercises are not trivial. But the speaker in the videos has a terrible accent, it's quite hard to get everything she says, I had to use subtitles which is annoying especially because they partially cover the text in the slides.

By Jeni R

Jan 04, 2019

I believe that when we learn a new language, we should try to isolate the learning objectives and teach those. This course offers many complications along with attempting to explain syntax differences; and the other complicating factors are making it really tough to figure out what the learning objectives are. The content is not clear. The accent of the instructor and speech impediments make it challenging to follow and decipher. Once we do decipher the content, the exercise are obfuscating algorithm learnings with syntax. This is not a good course and I will choose another way to learn this language.

By Fredrik R

Nov 20, 2018

Nice course. I liked the level. I really missed discussions on the assignments. It would have been really nice to see a solution with comments and compare it with my own to learn from my mistakes.

By Piotr L

Jul 14, 2019

Great course with great challenging assignments!

By

Jul 13, 2019

This is an excellent course, it's exactly what I needed - well conceived, concise and aimed at skilled Java developers.

By Andrew G

Jul 13, 2019

Great assignments and quizzes to go along with videos. More in-depth than any other Kotlin course I have taken with showing best practices and reasons to prefer certain patterns.

By JAI G

Jul 06, 2019

make assignment slightly simple and clear . i recommend course developer team to make this course one step down for better understanding

By Abu Y

Jul 05, 2019

Best course . Learned a lot

By Richard I

Jul 03, 2019

Excellent - kotlin is fun to learn

By Emmanuel A

Jul 01, 2019

Not much to say... I loved the course.

I'm only looking forward to the next one. It MUST arrive quickly!

By John N

Jul 01, 2019

Requires itellij which is annoying. I already have ide's on the machine and I really do not want more. Plus video's are perhaps not the best way to learn. Listening to eastern European English is quite tiresome, especially the woman's. I know that is unfair, her English is far better than my European. But ….

I think one is better off with other tutorials such as

By Irwan C

Good for learning fundamental

By Ali S

Just PERFECT...

By Alba B R

Jun 30, 2019

El curso es muy completo y aprendes muchas carácterísticas sobre Kotlin adaptadas a programadores de Java. Por otra parte los ejercicios son complejos y requieren de mucho conocimiento de algoritmia.

By Mark A

Jun 29, 2019

Excellent course, packed with relevant content and useful hands on Kotlin exercises with great feedback based on Coursera provided unit tests. Looking forward to more Coursera courses from JetBrains.

By Muriele T

Jun 23, 2019

I was a bit disappointed, that i didn't get feedback from a human instructor (for the assignments)

For my taste there was a bit too much math knowledge necessary to complete the game of fifteen assignment.

The explanations in the videos were good.

By Daniel G

Jun 23, 2019

Nice introduction to Kotlin. You learn the programming language and some pragmatic usage patterns. It has the perfect pace for experienced developers. Although beginners will have a hard time. The assignments are challenging. You definitively have to dig into the Kotlin reference manuals for complete understanding.

By Ching-Hao T

Nice course, and I learn more about Kotlin details

By Kaushik S

Jun 22, 2019

Best course for Kotlin from the very best Jetbrains. Suitable for those who have worked with Java before (as the title states). The last exercise was pretty hard, almost died in the end. All in all, it is really helpful. I wish Jetbrains would come up with an advanced course promised in the conclusion video.

By Robert G

Jun 22, 2019

Great course, great structure + exercises.

Minor thing: The English needs some improvement - it's quite hard to follow sometimes, and sometimes even the transcript fails (I read "[unintelligible]" one time).

So much new stuff... but you managed to get this into this short course, and even I took something away from it - kudos!

By richard m

Jun 20, 2019

Great course with lots of practical content and coding exercises

By Juan M R

Jun 20, 2019

The course was very well organized. Instructor clearly explained not only the language features, but also how they works under the hood. This allows the student to take full advantage of Kotlin.

By Besma K

Jun 11, 2019

Exercices intéressants et cours bien construit

By Iskandar M

Jun 11, 2019

Well-built course, informative, very useful in-video understading-check questions & also the playgrounds between videos. Weekly assignments are fulfilling and cover much of the needed knowledge & skills to be gained. All in all, I got much deeper understanding of Kotlin & Java also.

Looking forward for more courses from JetBrains, especially about Kotlin for Android & web/servers. Might , as well, use "Kotlin Everywhere" afterwards.

By Md. I C

Jun 10, 2019

It's just west of money, the repenter English quality and the coding task are not satisfied.