Back to Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition by Arizona State University

In this course learners are introduced to second or foreign language theories and practices for teaching and assessing listening, speaking, and pronunciation. Learners will also be introduced to basic studies in second language acquisition and their pedagogical implications. Teachers will be invited to recognize the importance of grounding their own teaching philosophy through an examination of purpose, content, and technique....
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(121 Reviews)
Creatively designed course
(270 Reviews)

ZY
Oct 10, 2018

Teachers are great. The course is fun and informative. I love this specialization. I look forward to completing all the courses as soon as possible. I highly recommend this course and specialization.

NZ
Jun 10, 2018

I'm really enjoying this course. I'm about half way through. I'm looking forrward to how the various courses in this series take me farther and farther into language learning theories and techniques.

76 - 100 of 1,543 Reviews for Teach English Now! Theories of Second Language Acquisition

By Marian B G

Nov 1, 2016

Thank you for such an amazing course. My dream is to become a certified English teacher, but the situation in my country right now (Venezuela), Doesn't allow me to enroll in a Master's program. This is the closest I will get. I love the way you designed it, and all the information is so current and update I could put it into practice at once.

By C. C

Jan 9, 2016

It is a very enjoyable course, and anyone should take it even if only for the entertainment value! The professor is a stellar actor and the lesson plans are very well-made. That been said, the final exam is not easy! But it's worth it! :) I smiled so much all throughout this course, having this professor as a teacher was a real treat!

By Cynndi N

Dec 23, 2018

If you have gotten this far - MY ADVICE: Don't cheat yourself; dismiss any excuse or obstacle that prevents you from continuing because it is SO WORTH IT!! You will have fun in finding out more about yourself and the feedback from peers is so worth you taking a second look at what you thought you were doing 'right'. A++ ASU courses!

By Justin I R

Jul 11, 2017

It provided me with a clear view of what is going on in the teaching world. Before I had seen teachers that stubbornly prefer one approach. Now I understand the purpose of different approaches and can better fit them to the students I am teaching. Understanding the purpose, I feel I can better understand how to teach each approach.

By Bohdana Z

Apr 18, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. Professional, fun, filled with tons of useful information. I recommend to take the Lesson Design as well. Then it really clicks, all the theory they teach you is actually applied to all the courses of this Specialization in the videos, the assignments...reinforces the message😉 Great job team ASU👍😊

By Joshimar E d l R

Apr 3, 2019

Excelentes cursos, antes de tomar los cursos que eh llevado hasta ahora no creia que se pudiese aprender tanto de cursos en linea, pero vaya que estaba equivocado, el Dr. Dixon y su equipo tienen la medotologia perfecta para transmitir sus conocimientos a traves videos y las practicas que se llevan a cabo en los cursos de TESOL

By Mudita G

Aug 11, 2020

I really like this course. It offers theoretical background and concepts in Second Language Acquisition in a simple way for everyone who may have or not have an academic background. Highly recommend for anyone who wants to be a well-prepared teacher and for any professional who wants to refresh and strengthen their knowledge.

By Roohi D

Dec 8, 2019

A comprehensive, elaborate course which effectively contrasts, compares and lays down techniques that modern teachers could use in their language teaching classroom. The teaching models used and demonstrations are praiseworthy in terms of their effectiveness in communicating the gamut of information necessary for the course.

By Reenie P

Apr 14, 2021

This course was very enlightening for me as a teacher! It has lots of history explained in a way that is concise and entertaining. It´s interesting to see how a course designed for teachers is so well thought out, it can be used as an example of how true teaching and lessons with adequate planning lead to a great experience!

By Theresa R M

Dec 15, 2015

The instructors' videos are hilarious, making the content memorable. Well worth paying for this course just for its comedic value alone. Unlike the first course in the specialization, which focused on students speaking through video recordings, the second course focuses on writing short answers to demonstrate comprehension.

By Konul H

Feb 22, 2021

My dear teachers!

You are amazing! Energetic, enthusiastic, well-educated, and professional!

You motivated me and I have learned a lot of techniques and strategies.

I can compare all the techniques and choose the best one now.

I appreciate your effort and hope I will be as professional as you one day God willing.

Thanks a lot.

I

By John K S

Aug 4, 2018

This course is personal, fun, and well-paced. It has filled gaps in my understanding of how to teach English as a second language. The presentations are documented, so I have been able to read beyond what was presented in the course. I'm surprised how much I like to review what other students write about the material.

By William L S Z

Jul 14, 2020

I have taken a lot of online courses but definitely this is the best course, it is excellent for many reasons, the methodology of the instructors, the material of content, the videos, the inspiration and passion of the theacers, I recommend this course for every teacher, not only languages teachers but for all of them.

By Deonne R M

Feb 9, 2018

This course offers deep insights on the specifics of how to prepare students to maximize language acquisition skills. The content and techniques are appropriate and very relevant to real life. The presenters are quite knowledgeable and enthusiastic in delivering each lesson.

I highly recommend. Thank you Coursera!

By Yara N

Jul 2, 2019

The course is a collection of the most wonderful videos that present information in a creative, fun and beneficial way. I enjoyed the lectures and learned a lot of valuable information. besides that I gained many useful new techniques to apply in my own classroom. Thanks to everyone that helped creating this course.

By Janette H

Nov 2, 2016

This course was quite enlightening. Having "traveled" and compared the various approaches to learning a language - even teaching a language has provided me with much insight. I am delighted that I made the time to listen and observe the practical strategies presented by the very enthusiastic Dr. Dixon. Thank you

By MICHAEL N R

May 6, 2020

This course was well thought of. As I went through the modules, I was learning while enjoying. I admire the effort the team put into it. The manner they organized the topics was of a high international standard: clear, direct and substantial with perfect consideration of time vis a vis learners' attention span.

By Xiangyi L

Mar 22, 2020

I am watching this course just at week2, usually I don't comment till I finish but I must say this is an excellent course, and the delivery of this course is really interesting. the acting of different roles really made me laugh so much. thank you for making effort of making this MOOC all faculty in TESOL ASU!!

By Tatiana

Dec 11, 2017

The second part of the course is absolutely fantastic. I really enjoyed the videos thanks to the presenters' acting skills and charisma. There was plenty of valuable information which is essential for my work as a teacher. The course provides a lot of fresh ideas about our work and giving our students the best.

By Sney

Mar 2, 2021

Dear Teachers I am so glad for this course but especially glad for your knowledge and abilities you are sharing here) It is my great chance to be introduced absolutely other sides of teaching English with such incredible teachers! Wishing all of you great health and further more success)))

best regards Nurshat

By 艾美WU

Aug 7, 2019

It's a very great course for having a good understanding of the theories of SLA. If you are one of the teachers who want to know how those SLA theories evolved and what are their merits and demerits and what you can learn from those theories to improve your quality of teaching. I highly recommend this course!

By Dmitrii K

Dec 28, 2020

The history of ESL is presented in a way that helps students retain information and use it later to improve their teaching skills. The assignments are thought-provoking and challenging. I recommend this course to anyone who would like to improve their understanding of what they can do in a classroom and why.

By Mustafa I

Jan 14, 2021

Very Nice course created for Language Trainers to fully understand different Theories of Second Language Acquisition. I loved the Trainers. The Trainer who acted in the videos was the best part of the course as it gave a real insight into the past. His acting was superb. He should work in Hollywood movies.

By Marisa

Sep 9, 2017

I like how this course was able to open my eyes to the many approaches and techniques that I have been using in my classroom in a compact way. It has really refreshed my perspective on how I teach in the classroom and I think it was time well spent. I liked Jessica, as she was bubbly and always smiling.

By Karen H

Dec 4, 2016

This course helped me to relate my past and current teaching styles to particular approaches throughout history and plan to enhance the techniques I already use while putting a name to the teaching method. I can use this new knowledge to select which method and approach may work best in each situation.