Back to First Step Korean

Oct 12, 2016

c

By Debi

Feb 25, 2016

It is a very good course for everyone to learn basic of Korean. For me who have learned Korean by read Korean lesson book somehow this course not give much thing to learn.

GRAMMAR (5/5)

This course is good because it give me more insight about Korean grammar (difference between normal. formal, and informal speech; the using of 예요/ 이에요, 이/가, etc).

THE TEACHER (5/5)

She explain clearly and give some exercise in the video to make us practice. I like the method.

VOCABULARY (3/5)

There were not much vocabulary in the course. I hope Yonsei University would add more new vocabulary in the course.

TEST/ ASSIGNMENT (3/5)

I've taken another language online course at another site that similar to Coursera. That site's assignments more complex than this course's given. This site only test our reading and listening but there were not speaking aspect that scored here. And I wish you will add writing aspect to the course.

LESSON (3/5)

The lessons those given here really simple. They were easy to understand, but I hope there will be a sequel of this course that will give us more advance lessons.

Recommendation:

- add more vocabulary,

- add speaking and writing assignment,

- a sequel of this course.

Thank you for coursera and Yonsei University for giving me an opportunity to learn Korean Language for free.

By Patricia B

Jul 27, 2019

It's a really good course to go from cero knowledge to very basic knowledge. In particular, the lessons in weeks one and two are very well-paced and the explanations given in the videos are clear and concise. The teacher takes time to enunciate and to explain the pronunciations of the vocabulary used in every lesson, which is of great help since Korean pronunciation is very nuanced and hard to understand the difference between the similar-sounding sounds.

As an area of improvement, I would consider reviewing the reading material since it's very scarce. It holds all the vocabulary as well as additional exercises that the student can attempt on their own before watching the videos to do corrections, however, there are no actual explanations of the grammar learned in each lesson. Particularly in weeks 3 and 4 where grammar gets a bit more complicated, the explanation in the video is not enough to truly understand what the rules are and students who learn more by understanding grammar could use a more fleshed out explanation in the reading material.

Overall I do recommend it, it's a great introduction and it's not too heavy, so someone who is a full-time employee or student can still pass this course easily.

By Lidiya N

May 10, 2019

Good course but not as good as the Chinese courses that I take through Peking from courersa. I think it leaves a lot of gaps in learning. The Korean language has both formal and informal and how this class is taught is very formal. I wanted a combination of both. It doesn't also get into detail how korean sentences can be versatile. Furthermore, I took the course to get a better grip on reading and writing since that's the hardest part for me but it jumps through so quickly without offering students to learn to read in different ways. For example, children and many adults are more visual people. My Chinese course through Peking university gives you exercises with visuals as well. I believe that helps in retaining and understanding the reading element better. I expected more from Yonsei since it's a top university so a bit disappointed but it's not a bad course and like I said still useful in it's own way. Although, many of the vocabularies are completely useless for everyday life. I wish more of the typical vocabulary was included. Honestly, the talk to me in Korean material I ordered online is better.

By Iraia M N

Sep 8, 2017

To start learning Korean I think this course is a good way to do it. It has vocabulary, it has grammar and to start learning ways to introduce yourself and see how do you feel about this language I think it helps a lot. Because if you start with a lot of difficult grammar and stuff like that it'd maybe scare you but with little introductions about what do you do or about things you like it seems a friendly language. I'm looking for the next Yonsei's course and I hope it goes as well as this one. I recommend it to people who wants to start learning Korean.

(If I had to say something bad it's that sometimes it doesn't explain exactly the grammar points. I mean, they show you how to say something but then they use another different example and don't explain you why it's different to the first one. I don't know if this makes sense but if you start doing this course our you already have done it, you'll understand me).

감사합니다 승해강 선생님 ^^

By Rebeca Z

May 2, 2020

This is a great language course! It's my first time learning Korean and I was able to keep up and learn so much. The course takes us from the very basic steps of learning the Korean language (reading hangul) to introducing ourselves and asking/answering questions about our daily routines. It goes without saying that you need to actually put in the effort to learn a new language. You can't expect to simply watch the lessons and absorb all the information.

The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that I feel like it is missing some important and basic information for people who are traveling to Korea, such as asking someone to repeat himself or to speak slower, asking "how do you say this" is Korean. Still, I'm glad I was able to do this course and I was honestly a little sad when it was over. I will definitely keep practicing what I learned so far and look for new courses to keep learning Korean!

By Scott K

Mar 3, 2016

I learned Korean nearly 20 years ago and decided to work through this course as a refresher. The course is fairly well done. The pace is a little aggressive, which is fine if you take your time to learn each lesson before moving on. Language courses are not the kind where you can just listen and then take the quiz. Slow down. Practice.

By week four the speakers in the audio files were speaking on a level where I was having difficulty distinguishing some of the words. In particular, the differences between the 20th and 21st of the month can be somewhat challenging for a beginning speaker of Korean. On the quizzes, I slowed down and repeated some of the audio. Even so, I missed a few questions. I think the course should take more care in producing the audio files and planning the questions. Some of those my be nearly impossible for beginners to get correct.