Back to Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19 by University of Toronto

Never in the history of humanity have so many people been feeling intense anxiety related to COVID-19 and the world it will leave in its wake. The intent of this course is to give you a deeper understanding of the anxiety reaction as it relates to various aspects of our current life, ranging from our consumption of news to the way we talk to our children about this. I will also give you clear strategies for managing and, in fact, turning off the anxiety response at least for short periods. My sincere hope is that you will leave this course with a better understanding of how your brain reacts to crises, along with some powerful tools for managing it before it manages you. In this course we will cover: 1.1 Introduction and Overview 1.2 Understanding the Anxiety Response 1.3 The Necessity of Strategies to Manage Anxiety 1.4 Achieving Relaxation: A Skill We All Need to Learn Now 2.1 Why Watching the News is Addicting and How to Manage Your Consumption 2.2 The Critical Art of Mental Distraction to Crowd Out Stressors 2.3 How We Think About Physical Distancing and Explaining it to Our Children 3.1 The Effects of Isolation 3.2 Some Strategies to Make Isolation More Tolerable 3.3 The Importance of Social Connection in a Physical Distancing World 4.1 The Need to Guard Against Depression: The Importance of Control 4.2 Bring it Together: Practice Makes Proficient 4.3 Invitation to Suggest Additional Videos...

AM

Jul 17, 2020

So grateful that a course like this exists. I found the information that was presented easy to understand and in such a way that small changes to my daily routine seem manageable. Thank you very much!

VS

Jul 19, 2020

The course is very insightful. The topics were carefully and simply taught by Prof. Joordens. It's easy to understand and has helped a lot in understanding how our minds work esp during this pandemic.

101 - 125 of 2,449 Reviews for Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19

By Kim C

Jan 15, 2021

Really got a lot out of the course. A healthy mix of information, advice and science.

Professor Joordens presented it with warmth, professionalism and healthy humor.

Covid isolation has triggered some challenging emotions in me this last year. This course gave me tools to face the challenges.

The only issue was technical - the low volume sound quality. I remedied that by using a small external bluetooth speaker.

Hope that Professor Joordens will consider doing a follow up course!

By Kristine R C

Jul 15, 2021

This course has definitely helped me a lot as an individual encountering stress and anxiety and also as a helping professional assisting people manage their mental health in this time of pandemic. I salute our professor, Mr. Steve Joordens, for guiding us very well in this topic. I will definitely attend his course in Psychology too. Likewise, thank you, Coursera, as always. Fantastic way of reaching out to people, learning with one another. More power and God bless you all!

By Zaina L

Jul 23, 2021

ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS COURSE!!! One of the best lectures I've ever attended. The professor is highly talented and the way he explained everything from ground level was so impressive. All the modules were extremely informative and interesting, and SO SO HELPFUL! I'm so glad I took this course because these are tough times we're going through and this course has definitely boosted my mental strength. Highly recommended for anyone suffering mentally in the COVID pandemic.

By CRIS R

Jul 18, 2020

The time i take to complete a week's task like watching the lists of videos and then solving those tricky problems to get the solution of the assignments, In the mean time I eventually completed this course on Coursera. This course is truly motivating at times and situations like this. I would really like to appreciate the initiative of the course instructor and salute to all the frontline worker out there working day and night for safety from this human malware.

By Ayana S

Aug 10, 2020

I found this course really interesting and useful. I gratefully appreciate the efforts taken by Prof. Steve Joordens, and he did his best. His session was very interesting. Many around the world suffer from anxiety and depression, with a majority committing suicide. In that context, this topic seems extremely relevant, so that I can also help myself and others who are suffering from the same. Thank you to the entire team of Coursera and SNM Training College.

By Madrid S A

Jul 31, 2020

This 'course' is FANTASTIC. Short, sweet, to the point, chock full of very doable tips for managing anxiety, and 'putting together' a plan/approach for getting through, in positive, self affirming ways, this current situation we're all dealing with. Mr. Joordans is an empathetic, funny, and warm teacher. This is a great course...and let's you jump right in and grab some easy, helpful 'coping' skills. Thank YOU, Mr. Joordans for putting this course together!

By Rini L

Sep 19, 2021

I love this course, it's help me to understand my condition right now. This course make me realize that connect with other can help me to survive in this condition. It's hard for me and of course for other to, so I don't need to feel lonely again. This moment will be the past and I just have to adaptation and made some change. This course are really recommended for all people. Last, I want to say Thank You Steve Joordens, you have given great things to me.

By Johnalyne S T

Feb 21, 2021

This course enlighten me in matters of importance of social connection especially in this pandemic time. It is not just helping yourself to be out of anxiety but also helping others as well to help them cope with thia kind of situation. Emotional connection is the key in helping others to let them feel that someone has concern for them especially those who are in isolation. Thabk you Coursera and Sir Steev for this very informative and helpful course.

By Mary M B H

Aug 6, 2020

I love the course because aside from it's timely, it is very helpful to me and I think to all learners because all of us need to manage our mental health in order to control our decisions, emotions and interactions towards everyone. I look forward to share this learning to my colleagues at work so that they may also experience the positive impact of controlling one's mind during this trying times. Thank you for the great learning opportunity.

By Elif A D

Oct 8, 2020

It was a great course for me to handle better with the situation we are all experiencing. I wish I had taken the course earlier days of quarantine, but my university will be online for months. So I will spend more time at home to not spread the virus. And the things I learned from this course will help me, I'm sure. Our teacher was excellent and I felt really comfortable while watching the videos and trying to understand. Thank you all!

By Yasemin K

Sep 29, 2020

It was a great experience for me. Currently, we face a very hard situation, and it all new to us. I didn't know what to do with new extra hours, anxiety, uncertainty for two months. This course gave me a better understanding of what I did in isolation that I normally do is okay and I can have control over my stress. It seems not a big deal but I needed this course. I think all people need to learn about mind control during tough times.

By Dr. F M

Sep 25, 2020

The instructor was very organized. I became more impressed as the course went on.

people often wonder why I am not anxious. This course help me to understand myself better. Many of the suggestions I’ve been doing for 50 years, such as singing as soon as I wake up, meditating on Scripture, exercising, dancing and trying to be nice to others and engaging them.

Thank you very much. I’ve already suggested other people to take the course.

By Shayne Z

Oct 24, 2020

Steve, thank you for sharing your expertise with us. It helps to know the science behind what we are feeling and how do we get to manage that, and eventually help others deal with anxiety. Your voice alone is a different level of relaxation, like your audio guided relaxation. It's soothing and calming. Thanks a lot, I enjoyed this course and I'll be checking out your other Psychology courses. Lots of love from Manila, Philippines.

By GABRIEL D S

Oct 13, 2020

This course was amazing for me! I joined Coursera because my university here in Brazil offered a three-month trial to all the students who wanted to keep studying in the pandemics, so I saw this course and I thought to myself: "I think it will be interesting!" And it was! I learned a lot about anxiety and physical distancing (not social distancing hahaha), and I'm very thankful about it! Congratulations, professor Joordens :)

By Dr M K

Jun 29, 2020

I enjoyed the course. Really involved in watching the videos and clearly understood each and every point. I always use the word physical distance from the beginning of COVID19 problem in India. This was emphasized by the speaker continuously. I was completely elated. I am insisting on my friends and students use the words physical distance and social connectivity. I also follow it. Simply fantastic course, I have taken.

By Bruce W

Aug 29, 2020

An excellent course, I wish I had found it sooner! Professor Joordens passed on his knowledge extremely well, with just the right amount of humour, which I now know to be invaluable, thrown in. I have a longstanding interest in psychology, which has been enhanced by this course. Added to that, it will enable me to, hopefully help my work colleagues who are still on furlough, as well as those now back at work. Thank you.

By Koketso C K M

Aug 8, 2020

I believe this is a valuable course to take especially in a time of such uncertainty. I find it important to go through courses like this before attempting to up-skill so that you go into other courses without any hindrances that might affect the learning process. Thank you Prof for breaking it down in a way that makes it easy to understand the topics and helped me to reflect on what my own mental health in this time.

By Desiree C

Oct 5, 2020

I find this course very helpful. How I wish I took it sooner. I'm grateful to have been a part of this class and I look forward to more content regarding coping with anxiety and how to better connect with other people during this prolonged state of community quarantines at the time of COVID. I would like to extend my thanks to our lecturer, Prof. Joordens, to Coursera, and all my fellow learners. Keep safe, everyone!

By Freda W

Aug 23, 2020

This was much needed, practical advice at a time when even small things may aggravate the persistent feeling of anxiety about doing the right things well at work.Working in health care one is constantly concerned about the accuracy of putting on and taking off protective gear.I wish there were more lectures to follow.It adds to the structure of feeling like you are doing something which is also relaxing the mind.

By Hina N

Jul 15, 2020

This was an amazing course! The Professor was very understanding of the problems we face, everyday, and offered simple solutions that can be easily implemented for dealing with anxiety. He gave us hope and the fact that he placed great importance on building emotional connectivity suggests that he understands, truly, that in such grave and scary times, we need to support each other. I recommend it to everyone.

By Feride Z

Aug 16, 2020

I am so grateful and happy to take this course. There is not only the basic information about how to manage our lives, but also the critical information about our bodies. Knowing all of them helps may help us to get rid of the feeling of depression or even being useless by just having control over our minds. In this course, the way of it is summarized as simple, short and funny as possible. So, thanks a lot!

By Brian A E G

Oct 16, 2020

I want to thank with all my heart Professor Steve Joordens for giving such a wonderful and enriching course. As a psychologist I am satisfied by this valuable information. During his course he has clarified an important issue in my life and thanks to him now my life has a different course. I have not words to thank him. Thank you for everything I send you a greeting and huge hug from my country, Guatemala.

By Melwin .

Jul 4, 2020

Managing your mental health is a relevant and apt course at this time of Covid pandemic. The relaxation techniques and the right understanding of physical isolation with social connectivity is beautifully explained. Reaching out to the vulnerable and learning new things will give a sense of fulfilment and purpose at this time of crisis. The disease will pass and we will be stronger together as humanity.

By Christina P

Aug 25, 2020

The professor was very knowledgable, but not intimidating, so the material was really approachable. Obviously, the analysis of lockdown is very useful as it has continued into the summer, so it's still very timely. The science behind the course was fascinating and I'd love to take another course by this professor. I'll continue to refer to these materials throughout the lockdown for my own mental health.

By karen j

Jul 28, 2020

i found this course very helpful. i live with depression due to ptsd and many excellent points and suggestions were made in the program. i am pretty introverted but do enjoy personal interaction. i've been missing this during this time. steve made good suggestions about increasing interaction while still distancing and setting up structure so there is a sense and rhythm to the day. thank you, steve!