Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

AM

Nov 23, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

PD

Jun 29, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

526 - 550 of 606 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Jan 17, 2017

good!

By Cindy P

Mar 20, 2022

good

By TUHIN S M

Mar 6, 2021

good

By Hữu Đ

Oct 19, 2018

Jul 2, 2017

v

By Nico S

Mar 20, 2017

Here you will learn the basic skills for writing and judging proofs.

At core, the taught material consists of the content of Keith Devlin's book 'Introduction to Mathematical Thinking', which is available for low fee. But at this course are come lots of students together and they can help each other at struggling through the plenty exercises which accompany the lectures. And there is also some help from several mentors.In the last week you have to write your own proofs at ten problem sets and peer reviewing them for lots of other students.

negatives: Because the instructor suggested group building over the net, It happened at my course that the course participants was split to plenty small groups. And although it's a pretty good Idea that the Instructor presents the learning stuff at the videos by writing it on a small sheet with a pen, his handwriting is sometimes so terrible that it's hardly to read.

By Hariprasad G

Feb 15, 2018

It is clear that a lot of effort has gone into developing this MOOC, with engaging content and splendid delivery by Prof. Devlin throughout. This is commendable, especially considering the course is traditionally meant for a conventional classroom and a lot of peer interaction, which is hard to simulate in a MOOC.

The Rubric was a little hard to wrap your head around, and often I found my views clashing with that of the instructor (I'm sure he's right, but as a student it's not always easy to see where he's coming from. For example, if you've been lenient in your moderation and given a middling score to a proof, but he's gone on to trash the same proof)

Having said that, it was a delight to learn with the Professor, who emphasizes first principles, assumes nothing, and teaches you to do the same.

By Bodner N

May 25, 2017

Excellent, this was the course I would have needed when I started at university. I really enjoyed to puzzle arround, try to solve the problems and get my brain working. Only minus is the MOOC form, that does not allow for the assessments, which keeps the course a little low impact. Eventually, I would not have been able to take it if I would have had to invest more time ;-) . For me it was a perfect reminder to get into it again. Thanks.

By PhiSanti

Oct 30, 2022

Great course, it gives a good introduction intro mathematical notation and the proof method. If you are going to do any kind of engineering or mathematically oriented course, I highly recommend you to join as you will have to develop formulas and proof different theorems. Also, if you like analytical philosopy, this will be a boost to your profile.

Jul 26, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot! It became very difficult to follow toward the end, and I thought the standard of explanation was diminished by the end of week 8 so I could no longer follow. This was reflected in my final assignment, as I was not able to complete questions 9 and 10. Thanks for a great course!

By Pritha N

Jul 1, 2022

It was one of the best experiences I had...I was exposed to basic college-level mathematics which motivated me.. I really liked the process that not only marks matter, but what matters is thinking analytically and applying it in the real world..thank you to Dr Keith Devlin for such an innovative course

By Cássio M B V

May 3, 2017

excellent course. Unfortunately i lacked the algebric basis to follow and completely understand all the exercises and examples given. I followed all lessons trough the end, but was not able to do the test flight and complete it. but i will try again in future, when my algebric skills are better

By Ross A

This is really an introduction to mathematical proofs after going through some formal logic and mathematical quantifiers.

Keith Devlin is an excellent presenter and the problems he sets during the course all relate well to the topic he has discussed.

No practical use, but thoroughly enjoyable.

By Lark N

Jan 4, 2021

Every thing is quite good in my opinion. The only problem is that community is not so active.

I really learn some amazing stuff, that helped my improve in many things, including competitive programming, computer science study, critical thinking and of course, mathematical proofs.

By jeffrey o

Sep 3, 2017

I thought it was very interesting and for someone who has not taken a math course in 55+ years challenging. I wish Professor Devlin would have explained some things to a greater extent but I suppose for most of the class, that was not necessary.