Back to Microeconomics: When Markets Fail

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Microeconomics: When Markets Fail by University of Pennsylvania

Perfect markets achieve efficiency: maximizing total surplus generated. But real markets are imperfect. In this course we will explore a set of market imperfections to understand why they fail and to explore possible remedies including as antitrust policy, regulation, government intervention. Examples are taken from everyday life, from goods and services that we all purchase and use. We will apply the theory to current events and policy debates through weekly exercises. These will empower you to be an educated, critical thinker who can understand, analyze and evaluate market outcomes....

JR

Jan 14, 2018

Great and relevant content, presented in an interesting and easy way; allowing the student to go through the video materials in an individual pace and thus optimize the study sessions.

NP

Aug 12, 2018

I really appreciated the short form videos and abundant visual examples. I would take MANY more classes on Coursera if it were guaranteed that they would follow this format.

1 - 25 of 68 Reviews for Microeconomics: When Markets Fail

By Larry L E

Oct 21, 2016

Another fine course from Professor Stein. I particularly appreciated the final set of lectures, but all were well presented, understandable, and relevant.

By Andrea F

Aug 25, 2017

This Economics course is succinct and understandable and it backs up the theory with clearly explained graphical illustrations. The use of simple mathematical equations to back up the graphical assumptions clarified my doubts and the explanations provided were comprehensive. The last few weeks tended to give easy-to- follow examples related to America. I feel like the course is geared more towards those who have at least basic understanding of Economics as otherwise the diagrams may seem confusing at first.

By Francisco A O A

Mar 25, 2017

Excellent Introductory Microeconomics course. Its covering of the foundational concepts of when markets fails presented a comprehensive review of the foundational concepts of the subject. I have studied economics at the undergraduate and graduate level, and this course has taught me things I never covered in my university level courses. Outstanding introductory course.

By Tucker B

Oct 22, 2016

Rebecca Stein is an excellent instructor to guide you through the material -- after taking this course and part of her other one on Coursera I feel like I know her. She can be quite funny and her explanations/illustrations go a long way in building onto the key concepts of the course. The quizzes can be quite difficult, so I would recommend that any person take notes.

By Alban L

Mar 18, 2018

This is a great course for economists in general but specially for graduated students. The course showers the fundamental of microeconomics. In this regard i would suggest this course to all graduate students enrolled in an economic degree.

I want to thank Rebecca Stein for providing such a clear and understandable lecture.

By Anuli R O (

Feb 17, 2019

It is all wonderful experience with Prof. Rebecca Stein on this course. I enjoyed it both the content and the well structure pattern by which she thought the course. it is an added experience as an economist and I valued her inclusive teaching. thanks to the provider (Coursera).

But I'm still waiting for my certificate.

By Hammed A

Jun 09, 2016

The importance of Economics in making sound policies and enforcing development and closing the inequality gap in the society made this course very essential.

The interactive group discussions and very detailed video sessions also helps to ensure easy learning of the essentials

By Nirav D

May 20, 2018

I loved this course for its clear explanation of microeconomic principles and how and when they fail. The course teaches how to apply the principles to real world examples and thus gives important applied knowledge with real world examples.

By flighting

Sep 08, 2017

I have really enjoyed this course because I felt that I was finding out some important things to understand a social system. The lectures were also very understandable even I had no basis on Economics. I very appreciate these worth

By Salar A

Nov 01, 2016

Market failure is one of the most important discussions in public economics. Although we reviewed the microeconomics in this term, we learned the tangible connection between these two fields. It was very helpfull and thank you...

By Subir M

Jan 28, 2018

Given the topic, the course contents is quite basic, and thanks to the instructor, the course material was not at all difficult to understand. This course must be taken in conjunction with basic economics course.

By Jonathan R

Jan 14, 2018

By Nicholas P

Aug 12, 2018

By Borja P O

Jun 16, 2019

It is the second part of the Microeconomics course, in this case it focuses on market failures and how to analyze it. The course is very methodical and very well explained.

By David V

Oct 24, 2018

Love how the videos were brief, but informative. Very helpful class and exams weren't overly complicated. In the end, I felt as though I retained much of the knowledge.

By Varun R

May 24, 2017

I came here for the videos! Extremely concise and accurate. Very good for reviewing material. I speak from the level of an HL Economics student in the IB.

By V.V.L.N. S

Oct 13, 2019

Very educating, interesting, and knowledge gaining. I appreciate for providing this course. Seek many more such modules of the whole economics subject.

By German M

Jul 04, 2017

Very comprehensive course that serves for the analysis of public policies and the preparation of public-private contracts.

By Jose M P

Feb 12, 2018

Congratulations to professor Rebecca Stein, this course helps me to understand many concepts to improve my lifestyle!

By Peter D

Jan 02, 2019

Very helpful and informative class.... liked the challenge of getting my microeconomics view back in order...

By 顾垠

Jun 18, 2016

this course is great,the professor converts complex concepts into easy ideas.so,i am strongly recommend it.

By ricardo p o

Dec 04, 2016

Thank you very much it was very gratifying, excellent for all kind of profesionists.

By James C

Mar 15, 2019

Course material was very accessible and engaging to learn, thanks Dr.Stein!

By Sandeep C K

Feb 11, 2017

Provided with good basics on Microeconomics. Thoroughly enjoyed the course.

By Federico S

Jun 11, 2017

Excellent course. Easy to follow. Very clear explanations all around.