Back to Simulation and modeling of natural processes

Simulation and modeling of natural processes, University of Geneva

4.1

About this Course

This course gives you an introduction to modeling methods and simulation tools for a wide range of natural phenomena. The different methodologies that will be presented here can be applied to very wide range of topics such as fluid motion, stellar dynamics, population evolution, ... This course does not intend to go deeply into any numerical method or process and does not provide any recipe for the resolution of a particular problem. It is rather a basic guideline towards different methodologies that can be applied to solve any kind of problem and help you pick the one best suited for you. The assignments of this course will be made as practical as possible in order to allow you to actually create from scratch short programs that will solve simple problems. Although programming will be used extensively in this course we do not require any advanced programming experience in order to complete it....

By EM

Nov 18, 2017

This course was a perfect match with my expectations! I think it is a perfect introduction to Computer modeling of natural processes. I enjoyed lectures and tasks. Thank you very much!

By AR

Apr 18, 2018

Excellent course for people who love math, physics and simulations ! I choose it to get an insight on Lattice Boltzmann Method, I was happy to apply it and extend it to other cases.

22 Reviews

By Lucas Jones

Mar 07, 2019

Not enough challenging problems. Too many poor quality videos. The presenters didn't care, couldn't speak english, or were too shallow. Too many typos, and errors.

By Qingfeng Li

Feb 18, 2019

I really doubt about whether those lectures have carefully prepared this course or not.

First, there are several typos in the slides.

Second, sometimes the logical connections from one section to another section is weak. I can understand the content of each section, but when I ask myself why they introduce this section... I lost...

By Ulrike Hiltner

Jan 30, 2019

Overall, it is a very good class in which one gets a broad overview of modeling and simulation of processes. Very recommendable! I drop a star, because some lecturers don't have a fluent language and therefore it is sometimes difficult to follow the content (e.g. using many filler words).

By Johannes Wittmann

Jan 06, 2019

Nice introduction in various topics. Further studying is required to use any of the topics in a practical way, but it helps to get started looking for more advanced literature.

Unfotunately I found the Quizes and Projects of little help to further understand or deepen any of the material. They are way to easy to solve and, in my opinion, mostly do not require a good understanding of the material to solve.

I would recommend to watch the videos and skip the quizzes.

By Ruedi Gygax

Dec 19, 2018

Moocs are valid if they involve better than average teachers. The current teachers do not fulfill this criterium. In particular, some of them have very poor diction and knowledge of the English language. The texts in the quizzes have elementary language mistakes. It would not have been too much effort to at least have them checked by a native speaker.

By Johan Bocanegra

Dec 14, 2018

En general me gusto mucho el curso, aprendí bastante y pude correr una gran cantidad de simulaciones, buenos recursos aplicables.

Los últimos dos módulos necesitan un poco más de explicación como de la revisión de las preguntas de los exámenes.

By GIRISH BALAKRISHNAN

Sep 09, 2018

Very systematic and detailed introduction. Good way to start off into the science of simulation and modelling.

By Grabkowiak A.

Jun 19, 2018

This course is very well designed! I find the lessons useful and the evaluation rewarding.

By Andrew Everall

May 19, 2018

There are a frustrating number of mistakes in the questions and sometimes in the lecture slides. I think the course gives a good grounding in the types of simulation required for different problems and I like the examples used. I'm not a huge fan of the style of lectures as it's incredibly different to learn from flicking through slides. Lectures where examples are worked through in a more interactive way (such as on white boards) are far more effective for teaching.

By Alberto De Marchi

Apr 25, 2018

I am a bit disappointed by the last two weeks, especially week 7, not because of the errors but because they have not been fixed yet. I would say that not all the instructors have put the same effort in giving and preparing their own lectures. Anyway, interesting topics and good introduction to all of them.