Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW
Apr 15, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

501 - 525 of 561 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Ken L

Apr 13, 2017

Great class if you are looking for an overview of the 150-year span between the Enlightenment and World War I. What is unique (as far as classes I've taken) is that it makes mention of events in South America, the Middle East and Asia beyond how they affected the European or American powers.

By Ethan L

Nov 29, 2020

I found this course to be well presented, interesting, and I learnt a lot thanks. In the presentation where you wrote things yourself, I couldn't read what you wrote, it would be better if it were typed. (I am only in Yr7 doing homeschool and I did your course as part of my History).

By Matias B

Oct 17, 2017

Really interesting. I would like some recommended lectures (chapters or text or whole books) per week. Also the last weeks, the professor make extended use of handwriting when some slides would did the same but the plus of some additional notes in the fly are welcome.

By Scott M

Jun 12, 2020

Presentation and content are excellent. The only thing I dislike is that some of the videos are excessively long (30+ minutes). Coursera recommends no longer than about 10 minutes per video. It's hard to pay close attention for such long periods in an online course.

By Bonnie L

Jul 28, 2019

I thought the instructor was excellent. He engaged with the viewer in the video and was not dry and boring. He really kept my attention and framed information well. Some prompting questions once a week for discussion in the work forum might be nice.

By Umair N

Jan 15, 2017

This was great. For em, a person who's just in need of learning new things, this is great. Besides, there's no limit of certifications that you can have. But, I still don't think these videos cover everything covered in a professional university.

By Nora B R

Sep 11, 2016

Someone who doesn't know history is destined to repeat it. I'm not a fan of history, so why take this class? Because I believe in the first statement and wanted an overview of how we got to where we are. This is a great course for that.

By Derek W

Jul 16, 2017

Excellent overview of the period. Engaging professor who alternates well between zooming in and keeping the big picture. The course could do with some readings or notes separate from lecture transcripts to cement a few topics.

By Jack J

Aug 23, 2017

Very interesting, and probably useful too, as a student starting UK A-Levels next year. I thought it was slightly Eurocentric, but unlike many others taking the course, I was quite happy with it being rather self-contained.

By Clifford L B

Sep 22, 2016

Interesting course, well presented with just the right amount of charts and graphics, a talk and chalk approach. Some of the diagrams could have been higher resolution to enable better understanding on a first run through

By Nadezda T

Sep 17, 2015

I think the course is interesting, but very general.

The lecturer is very good and all presentations are clear.

There is a lack of references and links to self-study.

By Rhea L

Nov 14, 2017

Very broad history, good for people who want to cover a lot of basic history. The professor is easy to listen to and gives great examples for better understanding!

By Liju G

Nov 26, 2015

I liked the approach of the topic and the narration style. The focus on finding reasons behind historical moments is a good feature of this course.

By Mary S

Feb 9, 2016

Very engaging professor, easily understood. The obvious editing was very distracting and made one wonder what was being deleted.

By Ricardo C

Jun 27, 2019

Course presentations are very, very interesting. However, quizzes only very poorly assess the knowledge of the participants.

By Ms.Supriya A K

Aug 27, 2020

Very glad to have found this course. Thank you Coursera and to the guide Mr. Philip Sir for taking us through this journey.

By James D

Dec 2, 2018

Zelikow is great at explaining things. Would love if the slides were downloadable and had a bit more content in them.

By Alessandro B

Jun 18, 2020

Very interesting course, Philip was a fantastic guide through this period of history that built our odern world

By Dylan L

Oct 15, 2015

This course was great because history has always fascinated me and this helped fuel my love of history.

By Melissa R D

Oct 11, 2020

A veces la dinámica del curso fue muy monótona. Del resto estuvo excelente, corto y comprensible.

By Vivek

Jul 31, 2020

the colonisation of Indian subcontinent and its economic degradation was not properly reflected

By ANDRES A G L

Sep 13, 2020

Increible. El facilitador hace la narrativa muy interesante y entretenida. 100% recomendado

By Laura B

Jul 7, 2016

The course was very interesting and the professor explained really well in simple ways.

By Vikash R P

Oct 9, 2015

Excellent Oration packed with wonderful analysis. History has never been so much fun.