Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

DK

Feb 22, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

SW

Oct 18, 2019

This course has seriously whet my appetite to learn more about the business of music. As an artist, sometimes I just want to be creative. This course has shown how to maximize my success.

26 - 50 of 410 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Barbara " A W

Feb 23, 2020

Excellent course, great material especially regarding the digital age, well presented by Mr. Kellog. Loved his interesting stories regarding his experiences in the 70s and 80s! makes me definately want to continue to learn about these subjects. As a musician entering a year where I will be bringing out new music, I needed to know many of the issues which are presented here.

By Ray W

Aug 16, 2018

Really love professor Kellogg's course.Hes very insightful since he was in the business as a musician and now music lawyer.thanks for teaching me alot about the new industry.Like the professor I am old school so I came here to learn alot about how it works now.If you want work in the music industry this is a great gateway course to the music business you will learn alot

By MAYKON D S E S

Dec 13, 2015

I'm very happy with the content from this course. It is exactly what I was looking for in terms of information about music business. Really interesting and the professor speaks in a very calm and nice way to make our life better to understand the lesson and everything that is said, specially for me that I'm not an English native-speaker. Great job! Well done!

By Kelly N

Jan 22, 2016

I liked this course - very informative. The instructor telling industry stories helped with remembering details and none of the videos were too long. It does get a tad complicated as it gets into commissions and copyright details, but never overwhelming.

I bought the instructors book but only used it once. Still, it's a good reference for the future.

By Iliana P

Sep 16, 2017

Mr. Kellogg is one of the best teachers I've had, even for online learning!

He explains everything he says and he gives examples that apply to all so that makes the course really interesting, not very easy for someone that is not familiar with the music business, but with studying and watching carefully the videos, someone can learn a lot!

By Serah J

Oct 28, 2016

I enjoyed the course however, I do have some feedback - watching so many videos just to get the underlying information was not only a lengthy but also boring. It would be great it we could have received some material to read and a few less videos. A few more examples at each stage also would help to emphasise certain points more clearly.

By Anna-Maria W

Nov 06, 2017

Very informative and very helpful explanations and examples given! I really enjoyed this course, and it was perfect for me next to my full-time study in International Business and Management Studies as an interdisciplinary course to get a first overview in music/entertainment business, as I aim for an internship in this branch next year.

By Diana

Jan 04, 2018

Amazing learning time spent with the powerful and magnetic professor Kelogg! The material was put together in a consistent, analytical way, it is easy to take notes and remember information on the go. The valuable personal examples combined with the soft humor of the professor really makes the materials easy to absorb. Go for it! :)

By 张瑾

Mar 06, 2020

Because of the Internet issue, I made great difficuly in learning this lesson. Almost no video can be played from head to toe fluently and I tried to fix it by changing the setting of computer but it seems worse. However, this is a good and systematic foundation course for those who want to know how an advaced music industry work.

By LeAttol ( E L

Oct 25, 2017

At first I wondered about the teacher's Modus Operandi (He seemed Un-Natural); But John Kellog has proven to Be decisive and giving clear direction. That is good and I am taking a great deal from this course. It is especially good because I intend to release Music to the open market. Thanks John - Le Attol / Robert Ellis Langford

By Ben P

Oct 17, 2018

An extremely insightful course that is presented in an easily digestible way. It has lots of great extra articles and videos for review and really gave me a much more rounded understanding of the music business. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for insight on things like contracts, managers, labels, copyrights.

By Jennifer M

Nov 01, 2015

The presenter is fabulous! He is very clear and repeats important information to help you remember things well. I had to retake a few of the quizzes twice because they were challenging, but it helped me notice when I hadn't learned something well enough and had to go back and review it. I learned SO MUCH!!! Thank you!!!

By Kris S

Jun 22, 2018

Great course! Great information. Even though it's been a couple years, it all still applies very dramatically to today. The initial overview of the music business shows how it's changed and grown over time, so you really see how what you're learning fits into the world right this moment. Thank you for an incredible course!

By Mateus M R

Jun 26, 2017

An excellent study of the music business which goes beyond the "birds-eye" view and tackles in-depth analysis of the history of the industry and the concrete realities of the agents and musicians involved. This course should be mandatory for anyone who has the ambition of entering into any position on the music business.

By Justin K

Feb 22, 2016

Excellent overview of the music business. The course had a "goldilocks" quality to it...not too much information so as to overwhelm a beginner but just enough examples and facts to whet the appetite of those looking to dig deeper or become better prepared and more knowledgeable about their business as an artist!

By Clarke P v d W

Jan 23, 2016

This course provides a really strong basis of understanding the complexities of the music business. It helps you with good and professional practical advice on how to structure your career from both the perspective of the artist and productions companies, all whilst maintaining policy of fairness in the industry.

By PIERO C

Mar 20, 2017

Thanks for sharing good knowledge!!! John knows a lot and has a very friendly way to teach. I wish the course was longer and gives more indeep info, for example about recording agreements and actual rates for up comming artists. Here I learned important topics to advance my musical journey, I hope you all do so

By Laura S

Jul 13, 2016

Professor Kellogg does a great job of including a personal touch and weaving a storyline through his lecture that keeps you engaged his course material. This class was a great starting point, gives a great sense of important aspects of music business as a whole, and was a reasonable time commitment.

By Reggie T

May 02, 2016

I felt this class was especially relevant as it discussed the changing trends in delivery and consumption of music products. Always to good to get a historical perspective and some projections on where the industry is headed in this ever changing digital landscape. I highly recommend this course.

By Yasmine A

Feb 25, 2016

I'm baffled by this course, I have only just completed week one and I have learnt SO much already. Definitely recommend if you are interested in music of any kind and in any field, this course provides you with the tools and mindset to work towards achieving your goals in the music industry

By Kentia S T

May 04, 2019

I have learned so much from this one course alone. I have been inspired to create a music app and I've learned my exact place in the music industry, where I fit. I strongly believe in the DIO formula, that's why I'm here. I can't wait to complete the entire degree program through Berklee.

By Lluis G T

Sep 28, 2016

I really learn alot about this important subject in music. And the instructor was awsome, he add alot of examples from his own career and form others to really understand the issues, with some touch of dun, I mean laws can be boring but I not feel bored in any moment. Thanks so mutch!

By Joshua B K

Jul 08, 2020

Thank you very much Prof John Kellogg for such an inspirational and educational course that would really help me in the future as I pursue to enter into the music industry. Really have been dumbfounded by your knowledge of this industry and I wish to one day be like you. Thank you!

By Jean R F

Mar 21, 2017

It's wonderful to have an instructor who is so passionate about what he teaches that you can actually see and hear it. I was engaged in every lesson, and there was never a dull moment with Mr. Kellogg. The only reservation I have about this class is that it should've been longer!

By Alejandro V

Jul 20, 2020

I wanted to get an idea of how the Music Industry works, and what do I need to do in order to better suit my niece's wish of me becoming her Business Manager. I believe I can become that, but our teacher certainly gave me key hints to endeavor before becoming that properly.