Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK

Feb 22, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

1 - 25 of 286 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By David J

Feb 04, 2016

I loved the course so far, the professor is just the type of guy with the right knowledge and insight to pass on some great information that anybody in the music industry should know!

By Thomas

Feb 28, 2016

This course is fantastic. John Kellogg is a great, engaging teacher. I have learned many things about the music business, which I am sure will greatly benefit me throughout my career.

By Ben S

Jun 05, 2019

Reasonable overview. Poor quality of instructor, many typos in course material. Appropriate difficulty for middle/high school students.

By David B

Dec 20, 2018

its easy

By Pau B M

Dec 26, 2018

Simple, fast and very useful to dip your toe and get to known the basics of the music business!

By Roniel V

Dec 31, 2018

Learned a lot! Professor is really knowledgeable in the field!

By Rosamélia A L d S

Feb 05, 2019

Teacher is great and the lessons are the same. Highly recommend it!

By Henrique L F

Feb 08, 2019

Top!

By галактионова н в

Feb 09, 2019

great and useful for my future career! thanks to the mentor, lectures are very detailed!

By Vincent W

Feb 14, 2019

Thank you, Mr. Kellogg! I loved hearing the stories of your personal experiences.

By Sónia S

Dec 16, 2018

This is a fundamental course for anyone that wishes to pursue a career in the music industry, no matter what role you aim to play, this is a must do.

By Ben J

Dec 01, 2018

Great intro! would recommend to anyone who wants to get a better grasp of the industry.

By Johan O

Jul 31, 2018

i loved this course since i cant afford to take a full course on berklees online but now i can at least get some sort of information and show others my talent (or growing talent) so i encourage you if you into music to try this out

By Dan C

Jul 23, 2018

This course, combined with Professor Kellogg's book, are invaluable resources in understand the fundamentals of the music business. Highly recommended!

By Lawoko J

Sep 06, 2018

Just what I needed to Know. Thank you very much it was wonderful learning how the music industry operates.

By Odion C P I

Sep 08, 2018

This course is a great asset for the artist, managers of musicians, investors, legal practitioners and anyone in love with music industry. Best of it all, the teacher is both a musician and a lawyer and know the inside-out of music and the industry. True-to-type, this course is worth recommending to any musicians, lawyers and any potential investors anywhere in the world. Without mincing world, I say BRAVO to the Instructor and God Bless him for this resourceful education and knowledge for humanity. For this great work, I will slow down on my speed to complete this course so that I can make my first month payment. My humble regards to the organizers of this wonderful course.

By Angel M

Oct 15, 2018

Great overview of the business with great real like examples.

By Ben P

Oct 17, 2018

An extremely insightful course that is presented in an easily digestible way. It has lots of great extra articles and videos for review and really gave me a much more rounded understanding of the music business. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for insight on things like contracts, managers, labels, copyrights.

By Olalekan O

Sep 13, 2018

This is a rich course and I recommend it for upcoming music entrepreneurs.

By Andrejs V

Sep 20, 2018

Very relevant and kind of comprehensive course I've taken on Coursera. Big thanks to course creators and it was my pleasure to step into Music Business.

By Youchun N

Oct 06, 2018

The video and audio quality is excellent. The professor's style of lecturing is both professional and easy for understand.