Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

251 - 275 of 2,934 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Liuyang G

Aug 31, 2015

The course is very practical because you have negotiations in your whole life, negotiate in family, at work, etc. The course outline is very clear and i even find a study partner in Turkey. It is really a pleased experience.

By Wong Y L

Great learning experience. Topic is very relevant to our modern daily life. Definitely help me to improve my career and build a better relationship. Mr. Siedel's teaching is clear and precise, easy to understand. Thank you!

By Ritesh T

May 06, 2020

It's a great MOOC course and instructor's led very well throughout the course . Thanks to George siedel sir, his explaining technique and examples clears concept very well.

A must have transferable skill it is- Negotiation.

By Nilesh A

Apr 01, 2020

Excellent Course !!

George sir has covered the concepts in detail & with relevant examples

Good number of exercises & cases covered throughout the videos

Narration & training delivery method is awesome

Thank you once again !

By Olesya N

Oct 10, 2015

I really liked this course and the lector. Everything is clear, very interesting and very useful. Even if you aren't a businessman, this course will teach you how to communicate with different people on variety of matters.

By Sebastião L N

Sep 08, 2015

Excellent course! I enjoyed every lesson taught and surely learned a lot with it! I strongly recommend it for every one interested in learning more about making businesses and starting up negotiations. A MUST WATCH COURSE!

By SEBASTIAN A G V

Jun 30, 2020

Muy buen curso, cubre bastantes aspectos practicos que puede uno enfrentar en negociaciones reales, y tiene un ejercicio de negociacion real con otro participante, en el cual se aplica lo aprendido, muy util, recomendado!

By Federico S

Jun 10, 2017

Great course. Professor Siedel makes everything very clear, amazing teacher and communicator. I feel my knowledge in and ability to be successful during a negotiation has (at least) doubled! Would definitely recommend it.

By David H

Jan 04, 2017

The material covered was very useful and the organization of the course was exceptional. The videos tend to move slow at time but I really enjoyed this course and fully intend to put these practices into action very soon.

By Tejas K

Sep 06, 2017

Loved this experience. I would recommend everyone to join the course or at least buy the book prof. George Siedel wrote on successful negotiation. He is an excellent teacher and you would learn a lot through this course.

By Beatrice B

Oct 14, 2020

I really enjoyed intending this course. It was clearly explained and met my expectations. I learned a lot and I would like to thank Professor George Siedel for sharing his knowledge in this so easily understandable way.

By Olaff R

May 13, 2020

Una excelente forma de aprender como negociar desde un producto hasta temas mas complejos como disputas entre dos empresas, un aprendizaje que me llevo de por vida y que claramente difundiré entre mis colegas y amigos!

By PADMAPRIYA N

May 12, 2018

It was a delightful experience studying this course and learned many valuable concepts and tools regarding negotiation. A big thanks to Professor George Siedel for making this course both interesting and knowledgeable.

By Guy S

Oct 08, 2016

This course teaches a skill that is crucial to working relationships, and is presented in an interesting and engaging manner. Everyone should have knowledge of this skill, and this course is an excellent way to get it!

By Marcin W

Oct 05, 2015

Very good course.

It was focused mostly on US-based low, so not everything applies to business in my country.

I would be more than happy if I find training/hints section extended in the future.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it

By Hector D D A

Oct 08, 2019

This was a very interesting course. It definitely helped me improve my negotiation skills, and it absolutely taught me a huge amount of material that I didn't know about. Great classes, very straightforward and clear.

By Vítor M B

Mar 19, 2020

O curso é excelente. Achei a didática muito bem elaborada. Ele traz informações interessantes de uma maneira que não fica cansativa. Fazendo que o curso desenvolva bastante a cada semana que passa. Super recomendo!

By Jennifer K C d S

Mar 09, 2020

Amei o curso, pude melhorar um pouco meu inglês, aprender muito sobre Direito Civil, mais especificamente contratual, além das técnicas de negociação, como também sobre mediação, arbitragem e litígio jurisdicional.

By Antigoni S

Participating in this course was a remarkable experience. Mr Shield is a great professor who structured the course in the most effective way possible. I feel 100% a better negotiator after completing this course.

By Mohammad E

Feb 28, 2018

Changed my life. Literally. I have saved so much money on things I would have paid full price for, without using tricks or manipulations; rather, strategies like anchoring, among many others. Highly recommend!

By Janetta M

Jun 26, 2020

What a mild mannered Professor, whose easy to follow. He gave ample examples to reinforce the concepts. Good course, but like with anything else, if you put in the work you’ll retain more and get better results!

By Stefano M Z

May 06, 2020

Extremely useful course giving scientific framework to a discipline that was much assumed as "born-with" rather than to be mastered. As marketing professional, I found the course very on point for my daily work.

By Robrecht V

Nov 05, 2016

Nice course with many tips, but very enterprise and US oriented. To be expected, but still I would have liked some more day-to-day aspects coming up. It is possible to adapt most tips but I think that could enrich the course.

The teaching voice should be more active. Felt like a falling asleep university course. A negotiator should be a more fluid speaker (in my humble opinion, not an expert in any ways).

By Nalleli R

Feb 19, 2020

I think this training s more appropriate for lawyers than normal people, I was hopping to learn more about negotiation techniques and it was a times very technical.

By Shiela T

Aug 07, 2020

This really was an excellent course, and I'm quite happy to have invested the time and effort in it. Not a lot of courses out there that's been given for free that has this much quality and depth. It's organized and paced really well. I even feel more engaged with this professor, across a screen, than I have in some other face to face classes.

It's quite unfortunate that I've come across it during the time of this pandemic when funds are short to pay for the certification, but under (former) normal circumstances, this is definitely worth it.

Looking forward to browsing and hopefully come across other ones in the future that I will feel the same way about.

Kudos professor Siedel and the team. Thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow.