Back to Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life by The University of Chicago

Learn how the nervous system produces behavior, how we use our brain every day, and how neuroscience can explain the common problems afflicting people today. We will study functional human neuroanatomy and neuronal communication, and then use this information to understand how we perceive the outside world, move our bodies voluntarily, stay alive, and play well with others....

VK

Jul 27, 2020

This course has been an eye-opener for me and has helped me to better understand the brain from a perspective of empathy towards those suffering from debilitating disorders, thanks to Professor Mason.

MJ

It has been, in all, a wonderful experience taking this course, Prof Peggy is really good at what she does, wonderful content, stories, instances, and videos. Learnt a lot from this course, thank you!

476 - 500 of 518 Reviews for Understanding the Brain: The Neurobiology of Everyday Life

By Ying Q

Sep 30, 2019

Ótimo

By Sambana N R

Sep 01, 2020

Good

By Fontaine G

Aug 23, 2018

May 15, 2017

V

By Joanne ( W

Aug 01, 2020

An incredibly informative course! Professor Peggy Mason is an outstanding lecturer and what a 'brain box'! Content was varied and incredibly interesting. I would only say that there could've been some more 'blended' learning as the format is rather repetitive and some modules there were some technical gliches with module testing within the unit, ie it didn't exist or wasn't working. Another observation was that the end of week quizes often had 'new content' in them which hadn't been covered in the module or were questions from online flash cards that were directly correlated with the learning in the modules. It's a great course and with a bit of tweaking, it could be outstandng. Thanks to all, I enjoyed it.

By GERALD G

Jun 03, 2018

Dr Mason is obviously an expert in this field and I liked her mix of personal and referential stories with the facts and the structural system diagrams. However, she often paused for long periods searching for the precise word she wanted to use and that word usually turned out to be so technical as to require further interruption to seek out its meaning. The most annoying part of the course was the overhead including cut aways in mid sentence for a quiz, descriptions of the next segment followed by music to play out then a count down pause ( I assume for video access) then music to open the next sentence with pictures of the university then a greeting before the introduction to the next segment.

By Nathalia L S d S

Feb 05, 2018

Gostei bastante do curso. Dá para perceber que Peggy Manson ama o que faz e faz da melhor maneira possível. As correlações que ele faz com o cotidiano são muito úteis e como ela trata a doença de maneira subjetiva é uma verdade e uma ação que deve perpassar a humanidade. Algumas partes são mais difíceis de entender, mas faz parte do processo. É curso longo e exige dedicação, mas, com certeza, dá um retorno muito bom.

Uma ideia legal seria se os alunos participassem das aulas atrav´s de perguntas, para, assim, promover uma melhor interação. Falo isso, pois já vi isso ocorrer no curso Vital Signs daqui do Coursera.

Obrigada Peggy Manson. Parabéns pela iniciativa!

By Somerleigh L

Aug 30, 2020

The content of this course is highly fascinating. The instructor does a very good job of explaining information to help someone who is not in the neurobiology field. This course is listed as a beginner class which I would argue. If you do not have prior information in neurobiology, this course would be challenging. However, the quizzes give you multiple chances to be successful. I highly enjoyed this course and would still recommend for anyone interested.

By Arpit A

Aug 07, 2017

Really great course. Went in with little to no understanding of neuroscience. However now, I'm quite fascinated about the vast amount of interesting information regarding the Brain and the nervous system I have been able to comprehend. It has certainly made me more self aware.

The course is a bit fast paced, according to my observation and personal experience but the professor - Dr. Mason is quite good at explaining the concepts in a well conceived manner.

By Oscar I M C

Aug 27, 2020

Great course for the introduction to neurobiology, its explanations, its examples (cases), its depth and density, and especially the diversity and organization of the topics, although a few topics were not so detailed, but it is understandable by the amount of themes. It should be said that Dr. Peggy Mason was a great teacher, spontaneous, clear, and she showed us some photos and cases of her family and friends. Nice learning.

By Lee S M

Jun 03, 2020

This course gave me an excellent grounding on the complexity of the brain and how our brains make us very unique. Professor Mason is engaging and uses relatable examples e.g. bungee-jumping. The reason I gave it a 4 instead of 5 is that a couple of video links are no longer active, so the course administrator might want to update these. Thanks Professor Mason!

By Kimberly W

Jan 29, 2020

I really like the enthusiasm of Peggy Mason, and she is clearly an expert in her field. One recommendation for the course is DON'T put the little quiz inside the video. Wait until the end of each small video segment. It is disjointed and annoying to interrupt the video when it is already very short, usually 3-6 minutes. Wait until the end of the video.

By Brian S Y

Aug 24, 2017

Prof. Peggy is phenomenal! I personally prefer lecturer/tutor to teach with lecture slides, but the way Prof. Peggy teach has totally blew my mind! She helped me understand so much about the basics of neurobiology in our daily lives, and her presentations are clear and easily understandable. 8/10

By Nirzari P

May 19, 2019

There are few questions whose answers contraindicates the teachings of Professor Peggy. Other than that the course is very well explained and gives the basic knowledge about Neurobiology which was exactly that I needed.

By Sreshtha M

Sep 13, 2019

This is a very exciting course and it is the best! However, some things are not explained really well but other than that it is fantastic beyond imagination!!! Excellente!

By Sandeep

Dec 21, 2019

Though it skims the surface the course was a very good introduction. The teacher explained the concepts demonstrating her expertise and communication skills.

By Elena A

Jul 26, 2017

Very interesting course. The quizzes are a little tricky. I learned many things even though I haven't study neoroscience.

By Joy S

Feb 02, 2019

This is a good and interesting review of the brain. It has an expert, engaging, likeable instructor and it goes fast.

By Isaac M

Jun 24, 2019

it's intuitive and interesting by its structure and content. The professors is great.

By Gustavo N V T

Jan 05, 2019

I am learning quite a lot about the details of the neurons

By Brooke P

Sep 24, 2020

Great class very informative and easy to follow online!

By LEONARDO B C

Aug 01, 2019

Muy buen curso! Solo que la producción podría mejorar.