Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

901 - 910 of 910 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Morteza T

Jul 22, 2019

This course is too basic and appropriate for the beginners.

By Swati J

Mar 01, 2016

The peer review assignment part is really

useless.

By Wesley N

Feb 10, 2020

Pretty terrible course. Two observations so far:

1.) The libraries that this course requires you to use are incredibly outdated and broken. Getting basic examples to run is sometimes impossible. I'm literally talking about the most basic examples copied and pasted straight from this class.

2.) The moderators do not interact or help when it comes to finding work-arounds for the broken code libraries provided. Many people have posted with regards to these problems, yet no one ever gets a response.

3.) This is the third course in a 4 course specialization on OOP. I am on week 11 in this specialization, and so far very little has been mentioned about OOP concepts. We are using OOP concepts, but without explanation. Every once in a while, a key word is thrown in, but never explained. The whole course is literally a professor telling you what code to copy and paste into your own program. When complete, you run the program and it works like they told you it would (well duh, they tell you exactly what to write).

The course is garbage. I'm going to finish it because I've payed a couple hundred dollars at this point and I want the certificate. However, I will be posting any and everywhere to let people know not to waste their money.

By Mohamed E A

Mar 19, 2016

in the beginning of the course i thought i'll get a good experience as usual on coursera, but i was wrong ...

a lot of things >> to be introduced in next course

confusing data types & working with things i don't know about it.

you've said that, anyone with basics of programming could pass this course and after 6 months i couldn't.

please be sure about the prerequisites next time.

By Martin K

Feb 13, 2017

I signed up for this course hoping for a good introduction to OO programming and Java only to not be able to verify if I have even learned anything. Of course I can access the course material, but the fact that cannot even manually check if my answers are correct with certainty makes all of this less efficient than simply learning it by myself.

By Lee M

Oct 25, 2015

Cannot follow a single thing that they are talking about. I have prior coding experience in other languages and I still have no idea what the instructors are getting at. They all explain everything horribly and jump into huge complex things with no explanation. Worst course I have ever taken in my life.

By mohamed a

Oct 18, 2015

starting from week2 the way of explaining the materials isnt good

By Đoàn N T H

Jul 28, 2017

I think this site is one of sharing site, but it's not.

By Paulo S S Q

Sep 25, 2015

just an google maps applet, do not explain java itself.

By Morris N

Oct 23, 2016

Instructors are not to be found.