Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB
Oct 12, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR
Oct 13, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

1176 - 1200 of 1,268 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By ASHAR K

Jun 11, 2017

great

By Biradar v m

good

By Ritesh U

May 5, 2020

nice

By Priya V

Apr 11, 2019

gud

By Christopher W

Apr 11, 2020

Overall it was a neat course and I do feel I learned a lot. A lot of thought went into the design of the course and I like a lot of the different types of videos, e.g. "concept challenge," "when I struggled." The earthquake project was really neat and a fun way to introduce concepts like inheritance and polymorphism, among others.

It does feel like the content is a bit dated, though. I had to install a much earlier version of Java to even get it to run. I'm not sure how useful learning about some of the specific libraries will be in the future, but it was useful to get used to the concept of going to documentation to see how to interact with an API, so not a total loss on that front.

It seemed a bit heavy on lecture and not so much interactivity along the way until the programming assignment.

I love the concept of the peer reviewed assignment, but with not many people going through together, your stuff sits out there for days waiting to be graded.

The forums are a ghost town.

By Hans E G

Oct 25, 2017

There should be more assignments, so learners like me can get the information in a more thorough way. The jingle at the beginning of the core videos are much louder than the rest of the video and gets annoying pretty quick. The audio and video quality is poor and sometimes differentiates from video to video. The concepts introduced in this course are great, but I just wished there were some assignments to build the modules, so inexperienced learners like me could grasp the new concepts easier and write more code. I did do the Duke courses beforehand so I had high expectations from this course.

By Brandon W

Nov 10, 2020

There were many new concepts I've learned from this course. However, I spent most of the time on finding a way figuring out how to run modules with deprecated options in a poor environment (OPENGL for instance). A huge part of this course relies on an old library that didn't update since 2016. And it's not compatible with current MacOS. As you may know, 4 years in any sort of tech means a tremendous gap in between, I see it here as well. There's no perfect course, I admit. It was another interesting experience.