Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

JA

Jun 22, 2019

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

BO

Apr 02, 2019

This is my most favorite module module, especially the Linux, which is my all time favorite OS ever enjoy learning, working Programing, and configuring, and will continue enjoying til the end of time.

2076 - 2100 of 2,316 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Adan A

Jul 24, 2020

Nice

By DELA C J K (

Jul 15, 2020

good

By Yashpal K

May 23, 2020

good

By Sanket C

Apr 01, 2020

good

By Ivan R

Oct 16, 2018

good

By Shashank T

Sep 10, 2018

good

By mohammed n

Apr 05, 2018

good

By abhishek

Aug 26, 2020

Feb 22, 2018

i

By Rosemary P

Sep 16, 2019

It was very dense and could have been two courses.

I am experience GUI user and haven't worked in Linux or PowerShell and the pace felt overwhelming. The instructor was very intelligent and very experienced; I just wished the course was geared to beginners in writing commands. I felt like she would gloss over REALLY important things and spend time on things that were important but not vital to building a solid foundation of knowledge. she would switch back and forth between Windows and Linux muddying (in my mind) which commands were used in each. I know that there is a quite a bit of overlap but I think that I would have found it more helpful to focus on one and then focus on the other one. Also, if she could have paused to let the viewer see the command that she was writing before hitting enter which in most cases made the command disappear. The transcript wasn't helpful with the grammar of the commands. The readings would have been more helpful if the foundation of concepts had been established better.

I also had issue with the labs: Weeks 1-5 were too easy, where the answers were given to you and then in Week 6, you were basically on your own. I first weeks needed to be more challenging before giving you barely any instruction on Week 6's labs. In Week 6's labs, it would have been nice to have feedback on which ones were completed correctly and which ones needed more study.

By Emilio G

Oct 19, 2020

I enjoyed the course, and I think the information will be definitely very usefull , however , I think this course (and the whole IT support program) will benefit with a.. lot more... pedagogic approach to it . It would be great if is explained before each topic, how this can be used in a real life scenario, why are we learning this specific skill. This will help to spark more interest in the topic and to remembering it a lot better.

During and/or at the end of topics , provide a couple of real life examples of problems that we can apply this skill to and how to do it. also there there is a need for many excersices along the way to practice so we can undestand and remember the information better. for example, just mentioning a command once or twice, its very difficult to remember it and even less to really understand it, mostly when its brand new information (someone who has never use anything similar).

I realize this would make the course a little longer, but it would be TOTALLY WOTH IT . ;) ... just my two cents.

By Mark A

May 04, 2020

like all the courses i had a lot of trouble just accessing the linux lab with my chromebook. The instructions are incomplete in the labs and led to countless hours spent with help desk staff just trying to enter or setup the lab.....ultimately the solution was very simple but after countless hours, trying six or seven times just trying to get either cloudshell or secureshell up and running to do a simple lab, a helpdesk person gave me a simple bit of information which had i known a month ago could have saved me hours of headaches.

The course was ok but i found the instructor would just breathe past command lines too quickly, moving on before i could really absorb what she was saying. A bit more explanation and a slower pace at times would have been helpful. Also a bit more explanation of the spacing in command lines would have been nice. She often typed commands without explaining why or how to place flags., the need to space everything correctly.

By Daniel P

Aug 04, 2018

Too many things were glossed over very quickly. There were many topics where there were multiple solutions to an issue and one or two options were given but more were suggested by the instructor saying " there are other ways but we'll talk about them in a later course" only for them never to be brought up again. Very heavy preference was given to explaining topics in Windows PowerShell, and granted most companies do rely on them more than Linux or macOS machines but to spend 90% of the time on Windows and then get the "it works the same way on Linux" and macOS ignored I find dismissive. With more companies switching away from Windows based IT due to higher IT support costs, I find it a bit narrow minded to take this approach. I still do find the course informative and am glad to be apart of the program.

By Nathaniel S

Sep 12, 2019

I really had a lot of difficulty with the labs especially the last linux lab in the course. I'm not sure if it's just that I am new to using command line or if they are actually not very instructional, although I have read about others in the forum having trouble with them. All in all even though I was having trouble with them it made me work in the CLI more so maybe it's good? I did end up passing. It however was not an enjoyable experience and made me dislike using linux CLI so I think that should be looked at because I do think the unpleasantness came from the labs and the instructions not from using linux. I get that the last lab was meant for us to figure it out on our own but I think it could use more guidance.