Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

876 - 900 of 911 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By mark d

Apr 01, 2018

Good course. I learned a lot.

By Paolo G

Dec 13, 2016

AWESOME

By David F

Mar 06, 2016

This was an informative class. As a "newbie" to the Coursera community, I wanted to take a course that would expand my knowledge of art and culture while fitting within my hectic work and family schedule. Photography is something I engage in almost daily with my iPhone, so I took a chance and was not disappointed. Sarah Meister has curated a wonderful assortment of photographer artists that typify the historical and aesthetic advances in photography. The articles, videos, and slideshows were well constructed around the theme of each module. The articles would benefit from including some of the images discussed. This was not a major problem as I was able to Google most of them. The videos were interesting and of sufficient length not to strain my attention. The slideshows were my favored documents due to the inclusion of images and explanatory text. I did find it frustrating that some of the answers to the quiz assignments could not be found in the required reading, videos, or slideshows. As an educator, I can certainly understand wanting students to think critically but some of the questions were misleading, unanswerable based on the content, or appeared unrelated. Many of the items did not assess my understanding of the information so much as how closely I read for specific quotes or other esoteric content. This is further evidenced by the posts in the forums requesting guidance about certain items. Overall, the course is worth the effort and time if you are interested in the history of photography and its most notable practitioners.

By Melinda G

Jun 20, 2020

I received only one peer review and that merely ticked the boxes on the required questions with no feedback. If this review is the only assessment we get beyond the quiz scores, my experience with it was not useful.

I also would have appreciated knowing why Heinecken is considered "legendary" and why so much of the required reading in that lesson was devoted to his essays. I found his style to be overly academic (plowing through many, many words to try to find a point) and I almost gave up. I'm sure he must have done something beyond the clever "Are You Rea"; some biographical information and other examples of his work would have given me a better understanding of his importance.

I have been working full time during the weeks of the course so was not able to take part in most of the online lectures, office hours and other daytime activities. I understand that this restricted my ability to fully participate and I'm sure I would have benefited from more involvement.

I did appreciate the first few weeks, especially the documentary and people modules. I'm glad I took the course and am going to pursue a number of the readings on my own. I also was motivated to buy Berenice Abbott's "Changing New York," which is inspiring.

By lillykainz

May 25, 2016

This Course is very interesting because it covers the work from iconic photographers since its invention in 1839 to these days. The "but" I found is : first, the required readings are very extensive, and second , the questions for the quizes are most of them too much specific, and there are so many photographers names that it is quite a challenge to have more than five questions right. Otherwise, it is a captivating MOOC, designed more for Photographers than lay public.

By roxanne w

Jan 09, 2017

I found the course interesting, however I had trouble finding all of the written materials to read. Some were available online, but none were in our library system. I think it would be better if more of the reading was available to people. I also thought that the final assignment instructions were a bit confusing. As it is I never did get to upload the photographs for the final prompt. I asked for help on the forum, but no one responded.

By Philip P

Jul 21, 2020

Course content is very good, you learn a lot, or think about what you already know deeper - only real let down is that its peer graded rather than graded by someone who grades papers and you get a certificate if you pay for it that says its non-credited and you just completed, rather than passed - so if you want knowledge, great, if you want to bump your CV, maybe not for you.

By Jeanette F

May 30, 2016

It was short and interesting... and that is good. In the first week the readings were overwhelming and I was disappointed - but the other 5 weeks had short videos of interviews with photographers to go along with the concepts presented. Some of the quiz questions were looking for details that I felt were not important for the learner. Final assignment was good.

By Troy M

Jun 08, 2020

An interesting topic and materials covered but sadly an unresolved technical glitch prevented the completion of the final task and thus lower rating for a good course.

By Konstantinos X

Mar 12, 2020

The course is interesting but beware ! It has peer reviewed assignments which means you will never get your grade !

By michael m

Dec 14, 2016

i enjoyed the interviews -- hearing and seeing many different artists using the same medium in very different ways

By bao l

May 14, 2020

The course is helpful to learn the stories behind photographs, but kind of monotonous.

By César C

Feb 27, 2016

falta opciones en español, los textos por ejemplo o los videos subtitulados.

By Priscila C d O

Sep 02, 2016

Nice, but I expected more (or something else).

By Peter P

Jul 03, 2020

great course, thoroughly enjoyed it