Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Seeing Through Photographs, The Museum of Modern Art

About this Course

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

By AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

By VC

Aug 22, 2016

I did enjoy these 6 weeks. I found the course very informative.\n\nThere are a lot of rich content , text, images, video that make the class the more interesting.\n\nI really recommend this course.

491 Reviews

By Kathleen Rutkowski

Mar 18, 2019

Well designed and fascinating course. Highly recommend.

By Kim Se Chan

Mar 18, 2019

very detailed and specific

By Eduardo raudales

Mar 09, 2019

Really good

By Nivethitha Bharathi

Mar 05, 2019

It's is indeed a very interesting and useful subject as it let us become more of a thinker and feeler at the same time.

By Полозова Милана Анатольевна

Mar 04, 2019

Thanks for new information! It was cool!

By Ludo A Segers

Mar 01, 2019

Highly recommendable course!

By Stefanos Kouratzis

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Po

Feb 02, 2019

This course provide a lot of article.But for the people which is weak in English (like me),the reading part is a little bit hard to understand.However,I still learn a lot through the video and I enjoy it very much.

By Gustavo Murillo

Feb 02, 2019

Boring

By Prashant Subhashchandra Salunke

Jan 31, 2019

Very nice and informative course