Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

1 - 25 of 542 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Usama B Y

May 26, 2019

It was well organized course and learned essential principles to interpret photos. Thanks Coursera, MoMA and other sponsors for such an opportunity and platform for learning exploration. With Love!

By Vincent A D C

Aug 22, 2016

I did enjoy these 6 weeks. I found the course very informative.

There are a lot of rich content , text, images, video that make the class the more interesting.

I really recommend this course.

By Pablo T N

Jan 02, 2019

Excelente Curso

By Kamen T

Jun 15, 2016

Teaches the history well, but doesn't focus much on helping to improve.

By Felipe S C

May 21, 2016

No actual class, just for selling books.

By Shilpa S

Dec 12, 2018

This course gave me such a valuable perspective on all that photography can be and do, to see the diverse work of some greats in the field, the constant reinvention (and innovation) in the field as the world around us changes, especially in the way we make and consume images everyday.

By Aymara N

Jan 26, 2019

Excelente información, muy útil!

By Helena K

Jan 28, 2019

A beautiful, interesting and inspiring course for all artists and art lovers alike

By Prashant S S

Jan 31, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By Zahir A

Nov 26, 2018

very useful

By Noemí P S

Nov 11, 2018

Interesting approach of looking photographs through different issues. I also learnt ways to look at pictures.Strongly recommend for those people who love photography.

By Deborah A H

Nov 12, 2018

Seeing Through Photographs was such a wonderfully complete and inspiring course. The design and content provided a straight forward yet challenging set of well documented resources to learn absolutely everything about the history, development and current components of photography, primarily American.

I absolutely gained so much from the manner of presentation. The details concerning the exhibitions and literature produced by Department of Photography Museum of Modern Art as well as access to its resources was phenomenal. I loved the component breakdowns.

I cannot believe how much I did not know as I have been photographing for over 20 years. The course filled in so many blanks in my mind in terms of history, focus and expansion of the full use of this most valuable tool to see the world. Thank you all for your hard work in creating such an awesome course.

By Ponhneath N

Nov 14, 2018

Hands down, best course I have taken on coursera so far. Thank you, MoMa!

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Ludo A S

Mar 01, 2019

Highly recommendable course!

By Полозова М А

Mar 04, 2019

Thanks for new information! It was cool!

By Eduardo r

Mar 09, 2019

Really good

By Kathleen R

Mar 18, 2019

Well designed and fascinating course. Highly recommend.

By Kim S C

Mar 18, 2019

very detailed and specific

By Vicky M

Jan 15, 2019

This was very enjoyable. Thank you.

By Geir L E

Aug 10, 2018

Thus far, very thought provoking and inspiring.

By Giselle S

Aug 22, 2018

It´s a full course about all aspects of photography which has changed my perspective and placed me in other level. I´m grateful for beeing able to take it. My sincere compliment to all involved.

By Jimmy

s

t

By Emile C

Oct 18, 2018

This course is great if you interested in the history of photography. It looks at the past so you know why photography is the way it is today. Whether you enjoy taking pictures or just looking at photographs. This course breaks it down indepth so you can anaylize photographs on a day-to-day basis.

By Julie H

Aug 19, 2018

I absolutely loved this course and have learnt so much from it. The resources, both videos and readings, were first class and very informative. It was challenging and really made me think more critically and deeply about photographs. Thank you MoMA for another great course.