Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

1 - 25 of 526 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Pablo T N

Jan 02, 2019

Excelente Curso

By Usama B Y

May 26, 2019

It was well organized course and learned essential principles to interpret photos. Thanks Coursera, MoMA and other sponsors for such an opportunity and platform for learning exploration. With Love!

By Vincent A D C

Aug 22, 2016

I did enjoy these 6 weeks. I found the course very informative.

There are a lot of rich content , text, images, video that make the class the more interesting.

I really recommend this course.

By Kamen T

Jun 15, 2016

Teaches the history well, but doesn't focus much on helping to improve.

By Felipe S C

May 21, 2016

No actual class, just for selling books.

By Helena K

Jan 28, 2019

A beautiful, interesting and inspiring course for all artists and art lovers alike

By Vicky M

Jan 15, 2019

This was very enjoyable. Thank you.

By Prashant S S

Jan 31, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By Sofía C

Jan 03, 2019

This course really helped me to appreciate the history of photography and to learn and see it from another perspective, I also got to know a lot of new really important photographers, I would totally recommend this to colleagues or friends.

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Полозова М А

Mar 04, 2019

Thanks for new information! It was cool!

By Eduardo r

Mar 09, 2019

Really good

By Kathleen R

Mar 18, 2019

Well designed and fascinating course. Highly recommend.

By Kim S C

Mar 18, 2019

very detailed and specific

By Ludo A S

Mar 01, 2019

Highly recommendable course!

By María d L G M

Mar 25, 2019

I love how you can improve your skills with this course and how you can understand the great job behind every photograph.

By Joe A

Dec 26, 2018

Great introduction to the art of photography.

By Andrés M H

Apr 03, 2019

great course

By Juan P P M

Apr 05, 2019

such a great course, I learn a lot with all the photos that are shown.

By Monserrat B

Apr 08, 2019

Great course....should give a certificate!

By Aymara N

Jan 26, 2019

Excelente información, muy útil!

By Shilpa S

Dec 12, 2018

This course gave me such a valuable perspective on all that photography can be and do, to see the diverse work of some greats in the field, the constant reinvention (and innovation) in the field as the world around us changes, especially in the way we make and consume images everyday.

By Angela T

May 28, 2018

I m new to studying courses on art and I found this course really interesting and informative. The structure of the course is easy to follow and I partcularly enjoyed hearing the artists talk about their work. It has ins;pired me to sign up for another MOMA course on coursera.

By abdulghaniy o

Mar 11, 2016

The course was educative and highly engaging. The short video clips with the quiz questions at the end of each module helped me to further understand the topic of discussion.

Furthermore, the submission at the end of the course and review of colleagues work added to my better understanding of the course, as I was able to share in the understanding of my other coursemates.

I hope MOMA will come up with independent courses that will treat each of the six modules as a separate course.

By Purnendu

Mar 08, 2016

Amazing so far ! Went ahead and bought a thick book to study more about the subject :)