Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

126 - 150 of 906 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Luca R

Mar 27, 2016

Deep and well structured material, with a high level of interaction and diverse media (videos, extracts from books, links to websites). The final assignment is also very well thought, interactive and instructive. The community section is interesting and good for discussion.

By Donata L

Apr 22, 2020

I found the course very interesting and captivating, I discovered new modalities to look at photos and to understand them. I've learned new ways to be a photographer, looking at the process and above all looking at the society and at the meaning you want your work has.

By Ray W

May 16, 2020

Useful techniques explained to understand what photographs are really showing, not just what you see on the surface. Plenty of good materials and additional materials if you're interested, I enjoyed this short course and recommend it to anybody interested in photography.

By Julie A

May 16, 2020

It is always a joy to learn more about photography! I loved looking at the work of talented photographers who have made such contribution to this discipline. The course was super well structured, tailored and run. I could not fault it and would recommend it to anyone.

By Erika A A D R

I had a fun time perusing through the extensive reading material provided in the course. The videos and quizzes were a lot of help as well. I really appreciate that this course provided equal amounts of opportunity for fun, critical thinking, and contextual learning.

By luz m l q

Apr 24, 2019

Great video quality and storytelling which makes the whole course very engaging. It broadens my perspective about Photography through the lens of very unique photographers. I'm deeply thankful to live in this era and have the chance to access to this kind of content.

By Aleksandra K

May 03, 2017

Thank you very much. The course was saturated and I enjoyed the process of studying a lot. I like the sequence of materials, and interview with the photographers. Special thanks for the books, they are really awesome! Wish you all the best. Sincerely yours Alexandra.

By Lisa M

Jul 19, 2020

There is a lot of material to review; however, well worth the time and effort.

This is one of those life-changing opportunities to see how the world reflects back to you and your response to it.

Will be drawing on the wisdom contained in these 6 weeks for some time.

By Joergen E A

Apr 28, 2020

I like "Seeing through Photographs". It gave me a lot of new inputs to topics and I liked the way we were learning about the old masters and there work. It was well organized between articles and videos with a very good explanation and overview of the photographers.

By Margarita I N

Mar 02, 2020

It's been a wonderful course. I've learned a lot and enjoyed it.

I'm a retired woman but I'm very eager to learn. I am not fluent in English but with a little effort and help from the translator I have managed to reach the end.

Thank you very much to the whole team.

By Roberto G

Jul 24, 2018

I loved this course immensely. I learned to challenge the way I view photography and how to see "things in things". I will take the lessons I've learned here and use them to shape my photography work from here on out. Thank you MoMA for making this course available.

By Nathalie F

Jun 18, 2016

Get a precious history culture with many reference about main photographers and evolution of technics , its limits and possibilities .

Learn to read and give sense of way to photograph the world . Critical view of world too .

Initiation of contemporary photography .

By Raquel O d

Jun 26, 2017

I definitely loved this course! I`ve learned so many things about photography and was introduced to so great professionals. There are also so many ideas and concepts to work out and to keep in mind. It was an enjoyable trip. The course exceeded my expectations.

By Sindhu R

Apr 25, 2016

This is by and far the most beautiful, well-laid out and organized Course I've ever taken. The case studies used are insightful, thought-provoking and a treat for your eye - especially the thought processes of the photographer who clicked that particular photo.

By KESHAV V

Jun 20, 2020

The course is very helpful to explore the different ways of photography, the way to see photographs, making perspectives, knowing the photographers intention and how one type or category of photographs can be clicked in different ways and many more.

Thank You.

By Daniele A

Nov 04, 2019

"Seeing Through Photogaphs" opened my mind to new artistic prospetcives and ideas on photography. I am very grateful to have had the chance to attend this course. I reccomend it to any person who is interested in photography and is willing to gain new skills.

By Alejandra V

Jul 24, 2016

Such a great oportunity to travel through the fantastic history of photography, you will see grat artists and great topics to enlarge you knowledge, Thank you so much Sara, annd the MOMA for giving me the oportunity to learn and enjoy much mor the photo world

By José M M C

Jun 25, 2017

The course is excellent: very well structured, videos and slides very good, the opinions of fellow students are very interesting ...It is a course that makes you think. Very highly recommended. My sincere congratulations to the organizers of the course.

By Masha S

May 02, 2017

I was excited to attend this course, every module introduces new degree of understanding what the photography is and how it circulates, how it affects our life and vice versa how our requirements, social issues, technical progress etc. affect photography.

By Nadezhda P

May 10, 2016

Very interesting and useful course. With very well structured materials. Unordinary way to estimate the work of every student. The course assignments challenge the students to profound analysis and looking for original ideas. Warmly recommend this course.

By Laura L

Feb 04, 2017

This course is fantástic, the approach, the authors and their creations are very interesting. For me, the best important has been the reflexions, about how make the photography, the how, why and in order to that. One experience, that I recommend totally.

By sadegh s

Jun 14, 2020

Seeing through Photography is a great course for me and I have gained a lot of new information about photography, history of photography, and its importance for the world. I admit "seeing through photography" was the first course that I could finish it.

By Joanna B

I absolutely loved this course! In six weeks, I was able to learn a lot about one of my favourite art forms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that MoMA will have another Photography-based course like "Seeing Through Photographs" in the future. Thank you!

By Arturo Z

May 31, 2019

I think this course can improve a sort of "photographic" awareness when considering images, an ability that pushes the observer from simply looking pictures to the capability of reading pictures.

This is quite different and I found it very useful to me.

By Louisa A

Jan 13, 2018

Very, very interesting, it opened my eyes to many different styles and genres of photographers I had never considered before and many new artists. I especially liked the discussion on the way that photographs can be shared on the net nowadays. thank you