Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

251 - 275 of 1,014 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Francisco J V C

Jan 21, 2020

Amazing course took it back in 2016 and it gave me a great understanding of what photography is and can be, the forums were very active back then and was a very enriching experience.

By Marcelo E P O

Nov 5, 2017

A really interesting course that allowed me to refine my approach and understanding in several aspects of photography and in turn allowed me to mature some ideas for future projects.

By Richard W

Jun 20, 2017

A great introduction to extend the perspective from "just" taking pictures to a broader understanding and perspective of the perceptional, social and personal aspects of photography.

By Olena G

It was an amazing experience, I am very glad that I took this course. He changed my vision of photography and made it possible to move further forward to new experiments in my work.

By Coral M

Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Was incredible to see the developments in photography and to gain an appreciation of the importance of documenting social history through photography

By Ana M A

Nov 11, 2018

i thoroughly enjoyed this course a lot more than i expected. Being able to question imagery and its narrative in different ways. Love to digest things differently. Thank you so much

By Beatriz C C

Dec 1, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs is a fantastic course. It is perfectly guided and contains a lot of interesting, valuable and useful material. I enjoyed it enormously. Totally recommend.

By Karin F

Oct 26, 2019

Thank you so much for this vital course. I loved the interviews and Slideshows. Some of the reading material was too vague for my taste. But otherall it was a fantastic experience!

By Beatrice G

Nov 14, 2017

This course gives you a wide overview at different techniques, styles and fields of photography, from its birth till present day. I would recommend it for both novices and experts.

By Clyde E a

seeing through photography surprisingly opened my mind to the creative possibilities in photography and the possibility to transfer the topics to my profession and to my hobbies.

By Clément H

Apr 13, 2020

A very good course for those who have a bit of time to invest in reading. The interviews are very interesting and the selection of readings gives a lot of material to reflect on.

By Michelle H

May 2, 2017

Great introduction to looking critically at images, challenging myself with questions about images. Course is well presented with an interesting array of artists and interviews.

By Lydia P

Jul 12, 2019

Awesome course, Amazing wealth of knowledge, Εxceptional photographers. Profesional and joyfull ride to the magic world of Photography. Thank you Sarah Meister, MOMA, Coursera.

By Laura M

Jun 13, 2020

un corso ben strutturato e perfetto per ogni tipo di persona. Io sono italiana e ho trovato molto semplice il metodo di spiegazione utilizzato. Ottimi video e contenuti extra.

By Eliza B

Apr 25, 2018

It was a very nice surprise that interviews with famous photographers have been included.

It's a way of viewing behind the scenes that can change the way one sees photography.

By Elena S

Jun 29, 2016

Absolutely Awesome! It is a time travel reviewing history, psychology and others important factors of the humanity. Really enjoyable and really high quality. Highly impressed.

By Fabiola C

Mar 8, 2016

Sono solo all'inizio di questo corso (la terza settimana) ma lo trovo ottimo e ben fatto, malgrado la mia resistenza alla lingua inglese proseguo il cammino. Consigliatissimo!

By Benjamin B

May 15, 2020

If you love photography this course is a must!

Photographs contain lots of information and through this course you will learn how to approach an image to really appreciate it.

By Mike B

May 28, 2019

Really useful insights to the works of photographers over the years and how styles have evolved/been revolutionised. Great course content and challenging quizes/assignments

By Janelle L

Mar 27, 2016

Excellent, comprehensive, thoughtful, informative. I am extremely impressed by the content and the resources provided. I would like it to be offered again.

Thank you so much.

By Elizabeth S

Aug 27, 2020

It was a great course. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. The presentations were interesting and the reading list was extensive. I am recommending it to many others.

By Rossana B

Mar 9, 2020

A really interesting curse. It open My eyes to different concepts I didnt enjoy before. Loved the work of so many photographers! Moma made a great work creating this curse!

By ayumi k

Jul 21, 2017

Each session is very beautiful with many photographs and great explanations. I am looking forward to look at many photographs with the background knowledge learning here.

By Alessandro P

Apr 12, 2016

Useful and indispensable course for those who work with images: by photographers to graphic designers; by art curators to museum directors, etc.

Truly a well built course.