Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

101 - 125 of 752 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Roberto G

Jul 24, 2018

I loved this course immensely. I learned to challenge the way I view photography and how to see "things in things". I will take the lessons I've learned here and use them to shape my photography work from here on out. Thank you MoMA for making this course available.

By Nathalie F

Jun 18, 2016

Get a precious history culture with many reference about main photographers and evolution of technics , its limits and possibilities .

Learn to read and give sense of way to photograph the world . Critical view of world too .

Initiation of contemporary photography .

By Raquel O d

Jun 26, 2017

I definitely loved this course! I`ve learned so many things about photography and was introduced to so great professionals. There are also so many ideas and concepts to work out and to keep in mind. It was an enjoyable trip. The course exceeded my expectations.

By Sindhu R

Apr 25, 2016

This is by and far the most beautiful, well-laid out and organized Course I've ever taken. The case studies used are insightful, thought-provoking and a treat for your eye - especially the thought processes of the photographer who clicked that particular photo.

By Daniele A

Nov 04, 2019

"Seeing Through Photogaphs" opened my mind to new artistic prospetcives and ideas on photography. I am very grateful to have had the chance to attend this course. I reccomend it to any person who is interested in photography and is willing to gain new skills.

By Alejandra V

Jul 24, 2016

Such a great oportunity to travel through the fantastic history of photography, you will see grat artists and great topics to enlarge you knowledge, Thank you so much Sara, annd the MOMA for giving me the oportunity to learn and enjoy much mor the photo world

By José M M C

Jun 25, 2017

The course is excellent: very well structured, videos and slides very good, the opinions of fellow students are very interesting ...It is a course that makes you think. Very highly recommended. My sincere congratulations to the organizers of the course.

By Masha S

May 02, 2017

I was excited to attend this course, every module introduces new degree of understanding what the photography is and how it circulates, how it affects our life and vice versa how our requirements, social issues, technical progress etc. affect photography.

By Nadezhda P

May 10, 2016

Very interesting and useful course. With very well structured materials. Unordinary way to estimate the work of every student. The course assignments challenge the students to profound analysis and looking for original ideas. Warmly recommend this course.

By Laura L

Feb 04, 2017

This course is fantástic, the approach, the authors and their creations are very interesting. For me, the best important has been the reflexions, about how make the photography, the how, why and in order to that. One experience, that I recommend totally.

By Joanna B

I absolutely loved this course! In six weeks, I was able to learn a lot about one of my favourite art forms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that MoMA will have another Photography-based course like "Seeing Through Photographs" in the future. Thank you!

By Arturo Z

May 31, 2019

I think this course can improve a sort of "photographic" awareness when considering images, an ability that pushes the observer from simply looking pictures to the capability of reading pictures.

This is quite different and I found it very useful to me.

By Louisa A

Jan 13, 2018

Very, very interesting, it opened my eyes to many different styles and genres of photographers I had never considered before and many new artists. I especially liked the discussion on the way that photographs can be shared on the net nowadays. thank you

By Álvaro L S

Mar 20, 2020

I loved this course. It made me have a deeper vision about photographs and how we communicate thanks to this powerful tool that we have nowadays. I would strongly recommend it to anyone that is interested in this topic and wants to know more about it.

By Salma N

Apr 10, 2016

It was such an amazing learning experience. As an architect and a TA I immediately applied what I have learned in my professional life. I would highly recommend it for those who understand that there is more to photography than just instagram snaps.

By Patricia B

Mar 28, 2016

The course is informative, interactive and uses different means to deliver the information, such as videos, text, discussion boards and interviews with famous photographers. I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in photography.

By Paola A

Apr 10, 2016

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity that has allowed me to analyze a subject who is very dear to me, through images and exceptional documents. Definitely will be the basis for new experiments in this wonderful art which is "photograph".

By Jaime A A V

May 06, 2020

It is an amazing course. it gives you great tools to make judgments and to appraise photographic material from different kind of artists. I enjoyed all the lessons and read every text consciously as it brings you closer to the compositions.

By Míriam Á D

May 05, 2019

I highly recommend this course as it's so stimulating and you can learn a lot about the history of photography and how to understand it. It's very proffessional and the contents are of very good quality. Thanks a lot to all the course team.

By Sofía C

Jan 03, 2019

This course really helped me to appreciate the history of photography and to learn and see it from another perspective, I also got to know a lot of new really important photographers, I would totally recommend this to colleagues or friends.

By Steve O

If you love photography and the history behind it, this is the course for you. Different ideas, techniques, and an overall appreciation for the creative arts is what this class is all about! Worth the time and money for that certificate :)

By mouna s

Aug 11, 2016

I'm impressed by the way different photos were included in each module. It shows that the curator does have inspiring advanced skills of observation. And she also prompt us to implement ours throughout the course and on every aspect.

By Massimo C

May 22, 2020

I really appreciate the approach of the course, with deep insight in different aspects about the lecture of the photography grammar and it gives me a new, wider, capacity to interpretate and consider the.... oceans of images around us!

By Bhavya

Oct 15, 2017

This course has allowed me to truly appreciate photographs and also in accordance understand the artist intention in dealing with the photograph he or she has made. I m also thankful for many other new insights that I have found .

By Ricardo C L

Apr 07, 2016

Fabuloso, se aprende mucho de la visión de los artistas y de que es lo que quieren transmitir con esas imágenes. Un curso muy interesante y con una información muy detallada de cada artista o serie fotográfica.

Muy recomendable!