Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

201 - 225 of 578 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Ben L

Jan 06, 2018

This course offers not only well curated course materials, but wonderfully produced videos and interviews.

By Francesco P

Nov 14, 2017

I have gained in analytical skills and have enriched myself with new perspectives, what more can one want?

By Annalisa G

Jul 10, 2017

Really interesting and filled with hints to go deeper into Photography even after the course is concluded.

By Abner G

Feb 23, 2016

Good way to learn about photography .. art .. and more everything is good explain and i really enjoy it!!!

By Pam B

Dec 09, 2019

So enjoyable, so interesting. When I see photographs I now think differently and more deeply about them.

By Fernanda

May 29, 2017

Amazing course. I've learned so much about the history of photography and how to improve my look for her.

By Alma D

Feb 16, 2016

I love this course, so far it's difficult and we need to read a lot but I am enjoying it to the fullest!!

By Azucena E T V

Jul 02, 2017

Excelente y provechoso, he podido reafirmar y ampliar mis conocimientos acerca de la imagen fotográfica.

By Pommm

Nov 30, 2017

the video is so nice.

it's fun amd not too hard, mixed with lot of classic works and contemporary works.

By Viktoria B

Oct 03, 2017

Very interesting course with interviews and an extensive reading list. Learned a lot about photographs.

By Rhea S

Jan 12, 2017

An eye-opening course for anyone who is interested about the development of photography over the years!

By Luana F

Apr 10, 2016

It was simply awesome ! It gave me a completely new and highly quilified point of view on photography!

By Orlando W

Apr 04, 2016

I don't really learned something new on my own and this course for the first time, i did and liked it.

By Francesca D

Feb 04, 2018

Incredibly useful! I loved every module and I have learned to watch at photography in different ways.

By Carlos R

Jun 26, 2017

Have you ever been in MoMA or you'll visit it soon? You should learn about Seeing Through Photographs

By Jesus Z

Mar 05, 2018

Very good course, complete and interesting, very easy to carry and the application is very friendly.

By Andrei I

May 30, 2017

Excellent course, unusual and creative view on the photography and on our world! It makes it better!

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Luis F

Mar 09, 2016

Great course, really interesting to understand photography and appreciate it more to create better.

By Penny B

Nov 13, 2017

Perfect for beginners

Sufficient information to gain knowledge

Educational and not tiring or boring

By edith o

Jan 28, 2020

Extremely comprehensive, great overview of history of photography and those who moved it forward.

By Oliver T M

Nov 16, 2019

An awesome course that let me understand better why i should consider Photograph as a form of art

By Jose G

Nov 06, 2017

Great! You learn how to learn to see photographs the right way through history and photographers.

By Juan M D L H

Jun 12, 2017

Muy completo y didáctico, te enseña a ver el mundo y sobre todo la fotografía de manera distinta.

By Ana Z

Apr 04, 2016

Pese a las complicaciones idiomáticas. Todo fue muy bueno, valió la pena el esfuerzo. ¡Gracias!