Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

176 - 200 of 942 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Ricardo C L

Apr 07, 2016

Fabuloso, se aprende mucho de la visión de los artistas y de que es lo que quieren transmitir con esas imágenes. Un curso muy interesante y con una información muy detallada de cada artista o serie fotográfica.

Muy recomendable!

By Mary M T C

Apr 14, 2020

Definitely an eye-opener! An eye-opener not only to the intentions and personal meanings brought by photographers on the images they created but to the ability of one's self to understand the history of images presented to us.

By Tarina L R

Jul 03, 2020

It was a beautiful tour of the past and present in the history of photography, this course has sparked even more my interest in continuing to study this medium and it has forever changed the way I will take a photo next time.

By Adnan H

Apr 08, 2020

Its a wonderful journey of understanding images and there impact on our lives. Equally recommended for general family curator to a professional photographer. and yes art lovers it a gift! Thank you MoMA, thank you coursera!

By Arq. D V

Aug 23, 2017

Grandioso curso! Muy completo, fácil de entender y nos brinda lecturas, vídeos, ejercicios para comprensión de cada tema. Es una excelente herramienta para adentrarnos al conocimiento básico de la historia de la fotografía!

By Simone M

Apr 26, 2017

I Really loved this course,

It introduced me new keywords,language,different way to analysed a

piece of art and specially New Photographers that

actually i've been at the exhibit while i was Studying it.

Highly recommended

By Ludovica D B

excellent for whom wants a deep insight of photography.

Very interesting topics and each week they present a variety of artists and photographs. Loved learning more with all the different techniques that the course present

By Cecilia P

Jun 08, 2020

Thank you for this beautiful media opportunity known by the observation of photography that I ignored and for guiding and accompanying me in this well-structured study path both on the content and technical level. Thanks

By MONTALAND

Oct 31, 2016

Excellente pédagogie, avec une rigueur historique et des intervenants de qualité.

Une façon artistique et historique de découvrir les enjeux liés à la pratique de la photo.

Merci

Gilles MONTALAND

gilles.montaland@gmail.com

By Olga G

Jun 28, 2016

This is the first online course I have ever done, and I guess I couldn't have chosen better. It's gripping, thoroughly prepared, there is a grand variety of materials that accompany every lesson. I highly recommend it!

By Nuno B

Feb 08, 2017

I really enjoyed the Course. It's very well organized and it has a very interesting syllabus. The videos and talks in each module are really interesting and informative. And all the recommended readings wvery helpful.

By Rohit V

Jun 09, 2020

This has been monumental learning, well structured and thought-provoking.

Well supported by incredible course material, support from the instructors and really a paradigm shift in your view of Photography as a whole.

By Nidibou P | N B

Apr 12, 2020

The course will probably help you learn something new about photography. In my case, it was even more interesting, since I was looking for new ways of getting inspired, during the covid-19 isolation and I found many.

By Jennifer D

Dec 12, 2016

I loved this course! So inspiring and wonderful. Makes you want to pick up your camera and apply what you have learned. I know the photography class I teach will love looking at the work of the artists featured here.

By Oscar A D P

Totally worth it! I strongly recommend this course to all aspiring photographer who wants to delve more into this art and its history, and the way it has been involved in the wolrd and our undertanding of images :')

By Yi H

I have learned a lot from this course. The new perspectives and focus on different aspect of image that I never thought about and that helps me to look photography in more sensitive way. Thank you MoMA and Coursera!

By Arkadiusz K

Apr 10, 2020

The course is very good. I read a lot of information about different photographers and their work , photos shape our lives and views so we should be careful while looking at some photos and what message is included.

By Renata V G D R

Jul 11, 2020

Lots of great info from the course. I just wish there was more interaction with the staff and other learners. Most learners don't fully participate in the course. So there's not as much exchange as there could be.

By Jorge A L

May 08, 2020

Excelente medio de formación a través de una institución como el MOMA y sus encargados de fotografía. Material tremendamente ameno y didáctico. Ambiente agradable entre compañeros de estudios.

Muy recomendable.

By Csiki A

Oct 30, 2018

I would lie if I declare, that completing this “ophthalmologic photo-language course” gives me the superpower to "really see through" photographs printed on hard barite paper. But I had a lot of fun :) Thanks

By Karlis P

Mar 02, 2018

Thank you for putting this course up on coursera. I really appreciate the amount of work that has been put into it. The results is both educational and entertaining. I have already recommended this to friends.

By Carla E

May 08, 2020

Fantastic course! Loved every minute and enjoyed it so much. Thank you MoMa and Sarah Meister for creating this wonderful course which has taught me and incredible amount about photography and how to view it.

By Luis B

Apr 03, 2017

I really enjoyed the course, the way it is structured, the clarity of concepts and the agility to go from one topic to another.

I learned a lot and I want to enroll in more courses with you.

By Elian J A

Feb 06, 2018

Wonderful and comprehensive course content, great selection of issues, supported by wonderful material. Lots of interesting food for thought, fascinating history, and brilliant artists and works to discover!