Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

176 - 200 of 591 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Eileen B A

Aug 18, 2016

It is really good you have interviews with the actual photographers and that they share something about their work :) Learned a lot.

By Denise O

Apr 04, 2016

Very informative! Excellent links to reading resources. Would highly recommend the course to anyone with an interest in photography.

By Ivelina M

Mar 17, 2016

I like the commentary and the readings. It is an amazing sneak peek into MoMA's collection and very objective overview of the works.

By Anya W

Mar 29, 2016

Highly recommend this course. Selection of topics and reading/video materials is excellent. Inspiring. Moving. So much to explore.

By Enrico C

Mar 11, 2016

Well prepared, well written, weel edited.

That's only an issue, about frequent iPad crashes while reading supplementary materials.

By Alonso K

Aug 27, 2016

Es una Excelente opcion para formar mejor criterio Fotografico/

It is an excellent choice for best photographic Form criterion

By Natalie K

Feb 29, 2016

Incredibly beautiful course. I appreciate the care that the course team put into the production and the content.

I'm hooked!

By María d L G M

Mar 25, 2019

I love how you can improve your skills with this course and how you can understand the great job behind every photograph.

By Eutropio R

Jun 03, 2018

its been a rewarding course, really interesting for me that I've been working as a photographer for the last twenty years

By Ishan M K

Apr 05, 2020

Beautiful course that changed my perspective looking at photographs as fine arts. Loved the history bits here and there.

By Andrea M

Mar 30, 2020

This course is beautiful, with a lot of material! Is a good way to develop skills to read a photo or series of pictures.

By Laura G

Apr 11, 2016

Amazing course! Each module was very well constructed and the supporting material was very interesting and professional.

By Eesha P

Oct 06, 2019

This was an amazing and a very informative course. I had really fun learning about the history of photography this way.

By Alexandra d C

Jun 19, 2018

AWSOME COURSE.VERY WELL DOCUMENTED AND MENTORED. IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE LEARNING AND WORKING ON THIS COURSE. THANK YOU!

By MIKAELLA T

Apr 08, 2016

very interesting with a big amount of info in regards to photography..the best part for me was documentary photography!

By Martin O

May 23, 2018

Corso veramente interessante e pieno di spunti utili e creativi incentrato sui lavori esposti al MoMA. Lo consiglio.

By Paulo S K

Aug 01, 2016

This course is excellent. great learning experience. parabens teachers and help desk support team especially Marie .

By Gabriel M

Mar 27, 2016

This was a great course with very good and interesting sources of material which I have really enjoyed and learned.

By Ariel S

Mar 12, 2016

I really like how detailed everything is. The reading is a little tough but they're all rather informative. Thanks!

By Katherine E

Jul 14, 2016

Just phenomenal. It's beyond words. A real experiental learning opportunity that riches across history and time.

By PARDUZZI A

Nov 22, 2017

I love this course is very emotional, emphathy and open my mind into fantastic world of photography

Thanks so much

By JANETT J J R

Oct 21, 2017

La metodología es la mejor, fácil de aprender e interpretar los textos. Me ayudo mucho a entender las fotografías

By Víctor M M

Mar 07, 2017

Glad to have participated in this course. Classy and fun, a very accesible journey through this art. Recommended!

By Cristina L

Jun 07, 2016

The best course I ever made. I never met people who talked about photography like you, people. Thank you so much.

By Monica P

Feb 09, 2017

This course is perfect. I learned a lot and I value all the information obtained. Congratulations on the course.