Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

226 - 250 of 552 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Linda T

Jul 28, 2020

I took this course to help me do better at writing stories and crafting language. I feel that the lessons and exercises in this course really helped me.

By Muhammad K

Jul 23, 2020

I really enjoyed the course it was a great experience with poetry. I already used to write poems but this course gave me a better sense about the poetry.

By Balaji V

Apr 18, 2019

Such an eye opener course.

Beautifully presented.

The whole course was a poetry by itself :)

Thank you Doug - California Institute of the Arts - Coursera

By Isabelle D

Feb 15, 2021

Really straight-forward but surprisingly thorough introduction to poetry analysis and creation. I'm also a fan of corny jokes, so all-in-all a success.

By Chamila J Z

Feb 18, 2018

This is a great and useful course to learn about poetry. Professor Dough taught very precisely and clearly. Enjoyed it and learned many things from it.

By Ishan S

Aug 18, 2017

Well the method of teaching is best in any of the moocs ever. He is a ventriloquist and when you listen to him its not like studying but entertainment.

By Cecilia A

Jun 23, 2021

Doug was a great teacher. He was funny, and used things like objects and imagery to help me understand the course content better. I loved this course.

By Ekta T

Jun 21, 2020

The best poetry course I could have asked for, clear and crisp lessons. You can apply what you have learnt. And amazing community and teacher Douglas

By Brittany E

Excellent class! It's helping me to become a better writer! The professor was very energetic and enthusiastic about the material. I truly enjoyed it!

By Pam O

Mar 14, 2018

Fantastic! I am so grateful that I received the fundamentals of creating poetry from this class! The instructor was very knowledgeable and funny...

By Jesse W

Feb 28, 2016

This was a great course with some really fun, interesting, and useful strategies for both improving your own poetry, as well as appreciating others.

By Akshat K

Feb 10, 2016

Wow! This course just keeps blowing my mind away. There is so much to learn and so many opportunities to help you improve your writing. Thanks Doug!

By Joyce S

Mar 12, 2020

Excellent poetry examples and prompts-- and fun! I am amazed how such a large workshop can have a personal touch. Thank you for this helpful class!

By Aude L

Oct 18, 2019

Very well structured - engaging videos - good feedbacks to build on - everyone is really passionate about poetry in this course, it is contagious!!

By Mariah E W

Sep 12, 2015

This course was a lot of fun. Great for beginners, yet fun and interesting and a way to kickstart people who may not have written poetry in awhile.

By Ana R

May 22, 2021

I truly enjoyed this course. It was fun, and still filled with useful information that guided students to the best outcome possible. Great course!

By Elizabeth S

Feb 12, 2020

I found the week on revision especially useful. I've saved the prompts on rhyme and rhythm that I didn't do because they look like good exercises.

By Vladimir M

Jul 15, 2020

Loved it! great prompts, collaborations and very clear information. Also, I really appreciate the links to other information, websites and poems

By Shani C

Apr 14, 2017

I originally took this course at Coppin State University in 2001. I missed a week and decided to withdraw. Glad I decided to retake this course.

By Allysson F

Jan 6, 2017

The instructor is engaging and obviously loves poetry. This was such a fun class, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about poetry.

By Ibrahim U

Jul 13, 2020

A great introduction to get you into reading and writing poetry. It also helps find your way of entertainment in poetry with very good prompts

By Luiza B

The instructor makes the course flow easily and in a fun and engaging way. I discovered abilities I did not dream I had. Very nice experience.

Apr 29, 2020

Wonderful course! Absolutely enjoyed it, and I learned so much about poetry, things I knew but did not know how to use it. Thank you so much!

By billye r

Aug 1, 2017

This review is about the course I'm taking. Poetry brings such great things to me. And best of all, poetry brings out the best in me as well.

By janet w

Jan 1, 2016

Everything I could have wanted and more, deep gratitude to Douglas Kearney and Coursera. I felt very welcome and nurtured. 5 stars at least