Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

176 - 200 of 554 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Swati B

Jan 8, 2020

Excellent course !! Previously I had never read or appreciated poetry much. This course has been an eye opener. The course is very well structure! And I learnt a lot from my peers too!

By Steven B

Oct 8, 2015

I enjoyed the class. The small corny bits in the videos made me feel at home, while the informative parts were very easy for me to understand. I'll likely revisit the class again later.

By Melle S

Nov 2, 2019

I loved this course. It has expanded my vision for my own writing. I found it helpful to receive feedback from my peers. I now can go back to previous works and revise with confidence.

By Amanda n

Feb 23, 2018

wonderful! I suggest to anyone who wants to learn more about poetry and even writing in general. Fun, doable, and informative! The homework prompts were well thought out and fun to do.

By Sreelakshmi C G

Mar 5, 2021

It was a great experience. With such a short time you covered most topics and more importantly stressed on the practical part, the writing! Thanks to you I brushed up my writings....

By Marilyn A

Apr 16, 2018

This was a brilliant course. Loved having to write poems for it. Loved the guy taking it. Just had trouble getting in to put assignments in and talk to people. Otherwise I loved it.

By Shimbo P

Aug 10, 2021

Prof. Douglas is the best at it. The course has been very informative. It has indeed transformed y rendition as well as appreciation of poetry. Much love from Tanzania, East Africa.

By Muhsina K I

Mar 19, 2020

Sharpened visions was a wonderful course. Thanks to the mentors who worked behind it. thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us. a must do course who wants to be a poet.

By Cristofer C L

Aug 9, 2016

Douglas Kearney is the best teacher I ever had. He really knows his stuff. His video lectures are so much fun to watch that I find myself wishing that his course would last forever.

By Justyna A

May 11, 2017

I wish all of my professors passed on knowledge like you did!!! It was theoretical and it was fun, it was practical and stimulating! I definitely wanna keep on writing, so thanks!

Jul 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I learned many poetry writing techniques and was adequately challenged with the assignments.

The professor was pretty funny and engaging as well.

By ummu s e

Feb 1, 2019

Amazing course, very well structured. Helped develop my poetic voice and provided technical knowledge as well. Experimented in poetic forms I'd never heard of. Thank you so much.

By Shelly K

Oct 11, 2020

I got so much out of this class that I never expected. Doug made it fun, interesting, and challenging. I couldn't wait until it was time to get to my class every day. Thank you!

By Zoe C

Oct 28, 2016

Fun and concise bite sized lectures. Challenging yet manageable tasks to complete. If you want to begin to explore the basics of poetry in a fun way, this is the course for you!

By Óscar R

Jun 29, 2020

Excellent Course! I took this course as an introduction, because i really didn't know anything about poetry and now i am interested in learning more and trying to write poems.

By Steven M

Jul 7, 2021

This was a very good course, very enjoyable. I was especially blown away by Doug's session on revision. It was very much an aha moment for me. I highly recommend this course.

By Vinesh B

Aug 16, 2020

Really enjoyed this course along with coursework which involved submitting poems and reviewing other participants' submissions. Very good introduction to the subject matter.

By lisa r

Jun 10, 2016

I loved every part of this course. The tutorials were brilliant, the assignments were fun but the most important thing is that the course made me want to write more poetry.

By Sonali G

Aug 28, 2020

I absolutely loved this course. This course was thorough and designed in a structured way. After finishing this course I am more confident about my work. Fully recommended.

By Rajni M

Nov 16, 2020

Exceptional Course ! Much gratitude to Doug who is a great teacher. The peers enriched the experience too. My pandemic hobby turned out to be a great learning experience.

By Michelle C C

Jan 4, 2019

This course has so much substance in it, very engaging and lively. I loved the way Doug teaches and passes across lessons! Perhaps I should come take a course at CALARTS.

By Karen J

Jan 13, 2017

A very easy yet enlightening course.. Doug is a great professor..funny too! Assignments were very easy and fun to do.. got a lot to learn in a short time... Great course!

By Dan B

Nov 17, 2015

This was an excellent course. The material was relevant, the assignments were meaningful, and the instructor was effective and motivating. I highly recommend this course.

By Elisabeth S

Dec 30, 2020

Brilliant course! Although it is short and manageable, I feel like I learned a lot. And I feel so much better in general for having deepened my relationship with poetry!

By Jesus J L

Dec 15, 2016

This course was very helpful to me in understanding poetry a little better. The professor was very engaging and I hope he will teach another poetry course in the future.