Back to Privacy Law and HIPAA

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Privacy Law and HIPAA by University of Pennsylvania

4.4

What does it take to comply with privacy laws? In this course, we’ll look at the practical aspects of navigating the complex landscape of privacy requirements. Better understanding privacy laws and data protection will enable you to protect your organization and the constituents that depend on your organization to safeguard their personal information. First, we will examine the historical context that drove the creation of laws, best practices, and other standards for protecting personal information. We will also consider where in the U.S. privacy laws exist and which sectors remain unregulated. Next, we will focus on the federal health privacy law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) – and what it takes to comply with it. How do you know the scope of the requirements? And once you know HIPAA applies, how do you actually put measures in place to ensure compliance? We’ll explore the notion that one cannot have privacy without strong security and examine various models that promote the security of personal information. We’ll look closely at breach notification laws – one of the most significant drivers of change in organizations – and discuss strategies for the improvement of data protection overall. Lastly, we will look at international law, state law, the unique and important role of the Federal Trade Commission in protecting privacy. Most importantly, we get practical – we will discuss real-world, practical approaches to how compliance professionals can navigate the complex landscape of privacy requirements to best protect their organizations....

1 - 8 of 8 Reviews for Privacy Law and HIPAA

By Alvin N

Jul 09, 2020

This course is very good! It focuses on HIPAA but it also provides a lot more information about general privacy laws that I did not expect to learn about. Very helpful and I can see how I will be using these laws weather I work in healthcare under Hippa or a different organization.

By Amane N

Apr 20, 2020

Very well structured, easy to understand. It was a great way for me to learn this complex topic holistically to be able to utilize the knowledge for my day to day work. Now I know the basics and I know where to check if I need details.

By Antonio G

Jul 17, 2020

Excellent course for beginners who are just starting in the field of Privacy and Health Law. Perfect combination of theory, policy and practical advise. It was worth every penny!!

By Robert B S M

Jun 29, 2020

Great course!...thanks.

By Diego R

Apr 24, 2020

It was ok, language a little elevated for some audiences with non-law backgrounds. wish it gave more practical examples. Readings are hard to digest.

By L.Cruz

Jul 13, 2020

I expected more specificity in the privacy laws we went over, but overall it was a good introduction to the subject.

By Joy S

Jan 21, 2020

excellent review of hipaa. everyone should have this info

By miguel f

May 07, 2020

The course was not bad and the professor was excellent but the grading and review process was lengthy and inconsistent.