Back to Programming Fundamentals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming Fundamentals by Duke University

Programming is an increasingly important skill, whether you aspire to a career in software development, or in other fields. This course is the first in the specialization Introduction to Programming in C, but its lessons extend to any language you might want to learn. This is because programming is fundamentally about figuring out how to solve a class of problems and writing the algorithm, a clear set of steps to solve any problem in its class. This course will introduce you to a powerful problem-solving process—the Seven Steps—which you can use to solve any programming problem. In this course, you will learn how to develop an algorithm, then progress to reading code and understanding how programming concepts relate to algorithms....

EE
Aug 13, 2020

The instruction provided in this course are very clear and anyone who can learn coding by this course. But the course has more readable content for you to take notes and reading it may take more time.

TL
Aug 30, 2020

I had no background in programming before attending this course and I had my own doubts on learning a new language online. But trust me, this course is very well-built and it was a cake walk for me.

76 - 100 of 1,547 Reviews for Programming Fundamentals

By Georg P

Jan 9, 2020

I found the course very interesting and sometimes also challenging. Allthough i'm not a complete beginner, i could learn some very helpful technics here. The mentors declared the stuff very comprehensible and with good examples. Sometimes they were very quick, but then you can still press the pause button. All in all i'm very happy with this course.

By Shouryadeep M

Oct 8, 2020

One of the best courses for those who want to learn the basics of a how to read a code, instead of just jumping into the writing part. The data modules are arranged in a way to give time to the students to understand every aspect of coding in the best way possible. Perfect course for beginners and those who are having trouble in framing algorithms.

By Mansi B

May 17, 2021

This course is really helpful for beginners as well as those who want to brush up on C programming skills and basics. I was able to understand the concepts quite easily as variety of examples were provided. Content is excelling whether it was reading content or a video, it was well explained.

Thank you Coursera and all the trainers involved!

By Giovanni D D

Aug 10, 2020

At first, I thought this course would be heavily tough and not very pleasant, but when week 2 started, I began to learn a lot of things I didn't know, such as binary, decimal and hexadecimal numbers. Reading codes turned out to be actually a joyful activity and, thanks to this course, I pretend to continue learning more about programming.

By Ananjaya T

May 29, 2019

The 'first four steps' have turned out to be the most important thing I have learnt in programming all-together. The course has helped me to convert everything into numbers, formulate my ideas on paper, planning in-depth before diving into programming and implementing the result into a language that the computer understands. Thank you!

By Rajendra K V

Mar 16, 2020

I liked this course very much, as it helped me to learn a lot of new concepts and improved my problem-solving skills. I love to recommend this course and the Coursera platform to my friends who are interested in learning new concepts in computer science.

I thank Coursera for providing such an amazing course on Programming Fundamentals.

By Damien E B

Dec 8, 2018

I've have taken Intro to Programming at a community college and at a university, and--although this covered less material--provided a better foundation. Those courses almost completely ignored planning and algorithm design and jumped right into code. I think the approach outlined by these courses is much more helpful for a beginner.

By PRIYANSH M

Apr 5, 2020

I am myself studying Computer Science and have done C programming before, there were some basic ideas which I was unaware of, but through this course, I was able to learn them and was also able to work on my algorithm construction process. The course is very detailed and makes you do stuff instead of just spoonfeeding them.

By Armine

Feb 27, 2018

Great course!!! I had no knowledge of programming and was always interested in learning it but thought it would be too difficult for me. This course provided me with fundamentals of programming and helped me to understand whether I can learn programming. As a result I decided to continue and go deeper.

Thank you so much!!!

By KANDAGADDALA V

Jun 10, 2020

i have learnt how to perform algorithms and how to write algorithms for such a large problems by using the guidelines give by this course with the help of the seven steps you thought in the in the course .I am very thankful for this course and who helped me in learning. A wonderful experience .Once again thankyou.

By Taos M

Nov 19, 2020

I found the course to be really good. I was able to begin reading C code in one night. There are some heavy concepts spoken about. If you are brand new to programming, spend the time to contextualize them for this course. You will fly through the quizzes. I really enjoyed Week 2 and I learned a great deal during Week 3.

By Gustavo A M C

Jul 26, 2020

As a programming student in my university classes, I've seen many of my classmates failing to comprehend how to organize their ideas to write code. As an introductory course, I think this one does an excelent job forcing me to reorganize the way I thought of a certain problem in order to solve it. I really recomend it.

By Geetik N

Jul 6, 2019

I enrolled to this course as a pure beginner. I didn't knew anything about programming at all. But this course has transformed my life completely. This course has given me the right base on which I can go on and build my career. It is highly recommended that if you are a beginner at programming you must enroll here!!

By Yao J

Sep 17, 2019

I have some fundamentals skills on C programming and only looking to advanced it didn't expect this course to help much but the 7 steps of programming that was introduced in this course helped me a lot in understanding the steps of approaching a programming problem and have a better foundation of writing algorithms.

By Willie M D

Oct 21, 2020

I had no prior background in programming before this course. I felt overwhelmed most of the time but I just kept at it. This course has changed me and I have confidence that I can continue to learn if I just apply myself and never give up. This class was a game-changer for me. I am so grateful. So very grateful

By Divyansh

Jul 3, 2021

Excellent ! I enjoyed it a lot. I was a total noob but the way teachers explained and the reading material was paragon of teaching methodology. I wish everyone in India can access this course.

Please forward my thanks to my Gurus of programming.

Indebted to Coursera for providing financial aid.

Thank you everyone !!

By RAJAT D

May 12, 2020

This course gives me a new conceptual understanding of the concepts. Previously, I was looking at things differently. After completion of this course, I can visualize what is actually happening in the hardware. How the computer is dealing with numbers.

Taking this course was an enjoyable and amazing experience.

By ADITYA I A

Aug 15, 2020

Myself Aditya Ishwardas Agrawal ,At The begning i thought that c programming is very tough but as i went on learning with coursera the things started to become Easier and easier by solving many more quizes!! I am very much thankfull to the instructors and coursera for providing these course for free of cost.

By Raj K G

Jan 13, 2021

Learning is never ending process. I always want to learn about programming ,How we really write something like task in Codes and our computer do that task .What ,Why ,How it happens this course covers the every aspect of the programming From logical reasoning to develope a fully working algorithm of our own

By Harry A

May 4, 2018

A solid course for anyone getting into programming or for those who skipped straight into writing C without understanding how create their own algorithms. It serves nicely as a refresher also or a crash course into algorithms.

I liked the exercises and the explanations are both logical and useful. Five stars!

By Bassem O A E E

Jul 21, 2020

This course is for beginners like was described.

I like the method of telling the information by put reading first and video second which is not suitable with other student. That make it more interesting and good for abstraction and get new concepts.

I recommended so much this course to starting fly-in-code

By Punam

Apr 3, 2020

I am an intermediate level C programmer and I used to do a lot of mistakes while writing code.

It's really true that your planning is really very important. Skills are more important than tools, That is so true.

This is a really awesome course which shows step by step approach to get towards solution.

By Shravani G

Jul 24, 2020

I was glad to be a part of such wonderful course.If your are beginner in C programming language then this course will be really helpful to you since the explanation is very well illustrated.

I Thank all the instructors for such an informative course and I would also like to thank the team as well.

By Kasaragadda T S C 1

Aug 8, 2019

This course offer me to see the problem in a new perspective by helping me to learn to read and analyse the code which makes the programming language easy to learn and understand by saving more time while debugging the code. It also let u know where we all do mistakes and helps us to rectify it.

By Anmol K V

May 14, 2020

I suggest you should definitely go for this course as this course is designed in a way that even the beginners can learn to code in C in a very easy way.

The content provided in the videos and reading material can be easily understood and you can starting coding just after finishing the course.