Back to Python Data Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Analysis by Rice University

This course will continue the introduction to Python programming that started with Python Programming Essentials and Python Data Representations. We'll learn about reading, storing, and processing tabular data, which are common tasks. We will also teach you about CSV files and Python's support for reading and writing them. CSV files are a generic, plain text file format that allows you to exchange tabular data between different programs. These concepts and skills will help you to further extend your Python programming knowledge and allow you to process more complex data. By the end of the course, you will be comfortable working with tabular data in Python. This will extend your Python programming expertise, enabling you to write a wider range of scripts using Python. This course uses Python 3. While most Python programs continue to use Python 2, Python 3 is the future of the Python programming language. This course uses basic desktop Python development environments, allowing you to run Python programs directly on your computer....

AS

May 16, 2020

One of the best course in this specialization. It was really interesting work with some real world data which could really enhance the problem solving skills.

J

Jan 30, 2019

Important concepts covered - including dictionaries and data structures. Useful in developing a basic foundation and understanding of Python.

51 - 75 of 83 Reviews for Python Data Analysis

By JOON T C

Jan 24, 2018

good!

By Byron S E

This is an excellent course - extremely challenging but worth it. If you manage to get through all the projects and exercises, you will definitely acquire a deeper understanding of working with lists, dictionaries, and CSV files. I've taken all the courses in this specialization so far (this one is #3), and I'm very satisfied with how much I've learned. Both instructors are very thorough, and the challenges/projects are designed to make you think deeply and clearly about the material. It's often necessary to break the assigned problems down into smaller ones that you can work through one at a time. If you are comfortable with that (and with figuring out how to do it on your own), then these classes will pay huge dividends. That said, I gave the previous two classes 5 stars and this one 4. The reason for the lower rating for this installment is that the final project was MUCH harder than the material that preceded it. It wasn't impossible, but I found myself needing a lot of intermediary scaffolding that I got (mostly) from the discussion forums while I was working through the project. IMHO, the course would be better if some of that scaffolding (specifically the example challenges created by Patrick Dennis, one of the forum monitors) were actually included in the course. In any case, I got through it, and you will too if you are willing to push through some frustration and setbacks. It was well worth the trouble, and I am on to the final installment in this specialization. Thank you Profs. Rixner and Warren (and Patrick Dennis)!

By Akshay K J

Aug 06, 2018

For foundation part to data analysis and concerning about it help me in the basic understanding.

Though with the pandas library make it simple that is some sort of drawback I find.

But it make my concept clear.

Thanks for the python Data Analysis course by Rice university.

By Rashmi H

Apr 17, 2020

Hi Team,

Thanks for giving me opportunity to learn this course.

The hard part here was to understand the week 3 and week 4 assignments, But i am feeling great for achieving in getting the expected results.

Thanks,

Rashmi Huddar

By Sinem U

Mar 30, 2020

It is not hard to follow the week's subjects, videos are very explanatory. But final project was very complex for me as a very beginner. There should be more exercises in previous weeks to do final project better.

By Md. T R

Excellent Lecture + good support from mentors (Patrick, the only one?). However, the final project's description is quite obscure, I have to rely heavily on owl-test.

By Joy D D

This course is good and the instructors way of teaching is quite attractive and interactive. I have learnt a lot during this course.

By Peter

May 11, 2019

A tough course (not for the fainted of heart). I love baseball and the application of the baseball data is useful for me !

By Tan K K

Jun 02, 2020

Overall, this is a great course, However, used baseball as the theme of the final project is really not a good idea!

By Jacob G

Jan 15, 2019

Instructions on the final were not as clear as the rest of the course, but the information given is worthwhile

By Andrew C

Mar 14, 2020

Project assignment was somewhat hard to follow and test as the real input was not clear.

By Dev N P

Sep 04, 2019

This course is great one to provide you the fundamental concepts of python scripting.

By Ankit J

Jun 24, 2019

this is quite difficult and very hard than the last one

By Yalew M F

Apr 27, 2020

Thank you for the unlimited effort that you provided.

By Andrew M

Feb 02, 2018

I feel like this course needs a lot of polish. The practice assignments in particular are riddled with horrible grammatical errors that make it hard to figure out what is being asked of you, especially when the author seems to be trying to be overly concise in their explanations. There's also too much reliance of documentation research. It felt like every assignment just told me to read page after page of documentation and figure out what parts were relevant on my own. Documentation research is obviously an important skill, but telling a student to learn an entirely new skill like color mapping based purely on documentation, and not telling them what parts of the documentation to focus on verges on cruel. I've never felt as frustrated with an assignment as I did with several in this course. The way the assignments were designed also made them very hard to test. The disconnect between the practice assignments and the graded assignments also caused a lot of issues with regards to flow. It feels like two courses were smashed together, one of which was fairly well built, the other of which was very much not.

My comments mostly pertain to the practice assignments. I thought the graded assignments were pretty good.

By Nico

Mar 03, 2020

I brought prior basic knowledge of python which I think helped a lot completing this course. It is definitely challenging, but one learns a lot if you are willing to do your own research. The whole specialization works with videos, personally I prefer getting a bit of text, too. But this is personal preference. Only the final project - I don't know what they were thinking. It is overly complicated and the descriptions could have been a lot clearer. I'm not sure the course adequately prepares for this. Do your research on the discussion forums, otherwise you might have a hard time. Because of how the project is conceptualized, I feel like I can't really add it to my portfolio, which is really a pity.