Back to Introduction to Data Science in Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Data Science in Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the learner to the basics of the python programming environment, including fundamental python programming techniques such as lambdas, reading and manipulating csv files, and the numpy library. The course will introduce data manipulation and cleaning techniques using the popular python pandas data science library and introduce the abstraction of the Series and DataFrame as the central data structures for data analysis, along with tutorials on how to use functions such as groupby, merge, and pivot tables effectively. By the end of this course, students will be able to take tabular data, clean it, manipulate it, and run basic inferential statistical analyses. This course should be taken before any of the other Applied Data Science with Python courses: Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python, Applied Machine Learning in Python, Applied Text Mining in Python, Applied Social Network Analysis in Python....

PK
May 9, 2020

The course had helped in understanding the concepts of NumPy and pandas. The assignments were so helpful to apply these concepts which provide an in-depth understanding of the Numpy as well as pandans

AU
Dec 9, 2017

Wow, this was amazing. Learned a lot (mostly thanks to stack overflow) but the course also opened my eyes to all the possibilities available out there and I feel like i'm only scratching the surface!

4951 - 4975 of 5,027 Reviews for Introduction to Data Science in Python

By Shan J

Apr 6, 2020

The description of the course is really bad. Youtube videos are better than the course. I am just doing this course for the sake of the certificate. I had to do everything by my ownself watching youtube videos and reading other material on the web. The assignments were in NOOOOOO way aligned with the actual lectures.

By Rafsan Z

Not recommended until the whole course is updated. Its autograder is very old and invalid. It's also very sensitive. Shows the wrong answer even when the answer is right in the latest version of Jupiter. I hope it gets updated very soon as it's a very important course for data science after all.

By Izabela K

Apr 30, 2020

I thought that applied means we will be coding in python not having notebook and listening about wrote code. Applied was only at assigments. And I really dont like some tasks to read article and write min.90 words disagreed or agreed. Teacher was very good but form of the course not.

By Barb H

Jul 17, 2020

I understand that the goal of this course is to push us to a higher level of understanding of Python and Pandas. I would rather put my time/energy into real world problems than blindly try to guess what the autograder for this course is looking for. A big disappointment.

By Hashem A

Jun 1, 2019

Actually I wanted to select zero stars!

I never leave reviews but for this course I will make an exception. This is the worst course I have taken period. Instructor robotically reading ill-prepared material off a prompter. Save time and money and just use google.

By Remy A

May 20, 2018

Jupyter notebooks used for assignments work sporadically at best. I've spent about half my time during assignments troubleshooting notebook issues. It has been far more beneficial looking at the official pandas documentation and tutorials than taking this course.

By John M H

Jun 16, 2019

Might as well just list the assignments, and skip the videos. I don't really feel the videos provide any useful introduction or helpful information about how to solve the assignments, it's basically up to me googling and reading documentation. Very disappointed.

By Kongpyung M

Nov 5, 2018

there was a technical problem on submitting the assignment, which I can not proceed on further week's lectures without completing the submission. I sent message and report the problem but nothing has solved even after 10 days.

By Roland H

Wort course ever. Videos give only sneak previews and don't provide required information for the assignments. If I have to search for the all relevant information in the internet, then I don't need a video course at all.

By partha s

Sep 7, 2020

I am really disappointed with the course structure and the explanation. The assignments were really difficult to understand and there were a lot of issues with the grader even though the method and solution was correct.

By Aditya A

The course is not very helpful nor does it cover any of the pandas functionalities in depth. Furthermore, it also uses an older version of pandas leading to what little that was being taught to be even more redundant.

By ahmedwalid

Jul 15, 2020

The material in the videos is very light. The course does not teach pandas but gives you a small introduction and leave you with the assignment. If I have to search for every thing what is the purpose of the course?

By Adam S

Aug 14, 2020

The level of lectures is unacceptable. Everything is strictly read from paper to the camera. All of the skills I've got were thanks to my own online research, as the explanaition of the lecturer was horrible.

By Nikhil T

May 16, 2020

Worst course I strongly recommend not going through course. Here the code is executed and he tells briefly and the assignments are the things which come in ahead topics. Not to mention the grader has issues.

By SANYAM J

May 14, 2020

Why didn't you taught the stuff you meant to give in the assessments, if one had to learn independently you could've provided with assignments only. Also too much rush during the programming tutorial.

By Sharad B

Jul 22, 2019

I am spending more time to deal with auto grader issues than learn something. This is so frustrating despite having good course contents. Frustrating and waste of my time and effort and money.

By Dulain T G

The instructor is the embodiment of monotony - adding to that, his lecutres are lacklustre, uninformative, and the student has to live and breathe on stack overflow for every assignment.

By Vasil D

Dec 7, 2016

Lessons were ok but the assignments were really frustrating, not because of the questions itself but because the questions were organised badly or were really vague and confusing.

By Suvansh B

May 31, 2019

Not much practice work, one will easily forget the concepts. The mentor speaks and types too fast, most of the time you will lag behind. Its like someone is reading a book.

By Shreya B

Oct 4, 2020

The course lectures hardly covered what was asked in the assignment. For someone who has a full-time job scouting through discussion forums is extremely time consuming.

By Shahriar R D

May 6, 2020

The course contents are great but the instructors are not. I struggled a lot and had to watch a lot of tutorials from other places and finally I learned the contents.

By Henrique R

Sep 7, 2020

Explanations are superficial, and it relies too heavily on self-learning. For that I can simply check Python's documentation without paying the course's monthly fee.

By Girija S

Nov 2, 2020

Too much content condensed into 4 weeks of course. The videos are very fast with ~1.5 hrs every week and do not cover what is being asked in the assignments at all.

By Patrick H M

Nov 12, 2020

Slamming down some notebooks is not teaching. Despite this shortcut does the lecturer still miss to show and explain the difficult cases of the different concepts.

By Miryam V

Jul 22, 2020

There is no helpful guide to the tasks, you don't know the results in advance so you don't know if you are doing well or not.

Tedious and you don't learn anything.