Back to Python Programming Essentials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming Essentials by Rice University

This course will introduce you to the wonderful world of Python programming! We'll learn about the essential elements of programming and how to construct basic Python programs. We will cover expressions, variables, functions, logic, and conditionals, which are foundational concepts in computer programming. We will also teach you how to use Python modules, which enable you to benefit from the vast array of functionality that is already a part of the Python language. These concepts and skills will help you to begin to think like a computer programmer and to understand how to go about writing Python programs. By the end of the course, you will be able to write short Python programs that are able to accomplish real, practical tasks. This course is the foundation for building expertise in Python programming. As the first course in a specialization, it provides the necessary building blocks for you to succeed at learning to write more complex Python programs. This course uses Python 3. While many Python programs continue to use Python 2, Python 3 is the future of the Python programming language. This first course will use a Python 3 version of the CodeSkulptor development environment, which is specifically designed to help beginning programmers learn quickly. CodeSkulptor runs within any modern web browser and does not require you to install any software, allowing you to start writing and running small programs immediately. In the later courses in this specialization, we will help you to move to more sophisticated desktop development environments....

JW

Apr 26, 2018

I really enjoyed this course, but I would highly recommend taking something along the lines of Codecademy prior to this one. It will help to get you versed in some of the more basic things in Python.

DV

Jan 17, 2019

Awesome teaching especially the course was designed in such a way that after the completion of the course the student can definitely feel confident about the particular course he learned .

1 - 25 of 305 Reviews for Python Programming Essentials

Nov 25, 2018

This was a very helpful introduction into Python programming. I have been working with Stata and R for a while, but I think this course helped review basic good practices while scripting.

By Catalin R C

Sep 11, 2018

I liked this course very much. The lessons were easy to follow and the teachers engaging. Will also try their other complementary Python specialisation, Fundamentals of Computing.

By John W

Apr 26, 2018

By Ross M

Dec 09, 2017

Frustrating due to lack of help on final project. The teachers want other students to be the help which is fine but when that help is lacking you can get stuck with no recourse, which is what I'm currently facing. I understand what is required (coding 4 datetime functions) and I believe have coded them correctly except for one line, that for the life of me can't figure out why it doesn't work. That one line of code is causing the function to not work correctly and because the subsequent functions rely on that function I'm dead in the water. I know that it's something small I need to change so minimal help is needed but unfortunately not available. Also, I did ask about it in the forum but no teacher replied and the two student replies didn't help...on to other training options.

By Kwai K H

Dec 12, 2018

super amazing and experienced teachers who know where students usually make errors from and offered valuable advice (such as correct as you go instead of delayed perfection) which I used to work on the datetime project at the end, without which I would get stuck and not know what to do. I really liked the python tutor and it helped me understand the part about function, return and print which I would not have understood. thank you so much!

By Nishin K V

Dec 12, 2018

Good for beginners. They teach you how to fish ;), rather than serve it ready

By Honey S

Nov 28, 2018

This course is a very good introduction to Python for beginners. Amazing lectures and lot of practice exercises.

By lincoln

Dec 19, 2018

Great

By 林晉宇

Jan 10, 2019

Very good course, instructor presented it well.

By Mark J S

Jan 13, 2019

Helpful course for learning the basics. Instructors challenge you to think beyond instilling you with coding knowledge. The instructors complement each other's contributions, and both have good (if nerdy, but what do you expect?!) senses of humor. The assessments are challenging and require you to apply what you have learned. If I could give this six stars, I surely would!

By Giuseppe D M

Jan 12, 2019

Very well done

By Bunke A

Dec 31, 2018

Very good for start learning Python!

By Xiaoxia L

Feb 20, 2019

Great Course! Love it!

By Roberto N

Feb 19, 2019

Excellent course to start programming in Python, interesting, funny, I really congratulates the Scott and Joe.

By Anders S A

Feb 23, 2019

A great course with lots of exercises that helps deepen your understanding of the information.

By Seyfullali C İ

Feb 23, 2019

I advise anyone who wants to learn Python and is new to "coding" to get this course, it has been useful for me, thanks to all instructors.

By Ramazan G

Mar 22, 2019

This course is perfect for a beginner.I was new but I have got a lot of knowledge.Thanks you so much Rice university and Joe and Warren :)

By Joanne H P C

Jan 30, 2019

Good introduction to the basics of Python scripting. Step by step explanations and exercises/quizzes help better solidify new concepts learnt.

By Ray W

Jan 27, 2019

Love it! Each programming tips were short and convenient, but most importantly, easy to understand.

By Akshay S

Feb 12, 2019

The tutors were amazing! Guided very nicely from the basics to advanced. Tips given at the end of each week were very helpful.. Only the assessment section needs some improvement where sometimes the correct response was evaluated incorrect.

By MarwaAllam

Mar 31, 2019

It is simple and strong content as well as both of the constructor is very good

By Aditya S

Apr 13, 2019

Excellent course for beginners. Nicely explained!

By Max B

Apr 10, 2019

If you are new to Python and wants a flying start, this course (and specialization) is for you! Comprise lectures, good material and fun exercises. Sure, there are plenty of other providers for introductory courses in Python but here you will get it all in one place. Even as a semi-seasoned programmer in Python, I found this course to answer some questions that have popped up over the years. Highly recommended!

By Andrey V

Apr 11, 2019

Fantastic course to start a Python Developer Career!

By Stefan Y

Mar 13, 2019

Very clear instruction. Course provides great resources that facilitate success.