Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

JM

Aug 12, 2019

Very challenging, but good course. I've been programming in R for over a year, but there were still some things for me to pick up in this class. Assignments were a challenge, but satisfying to tackle.

EJ

Jul 12, 2016

Excellent course! I already knew a lot about R - but this class helped me solidify what I already knew, taught me lots of new tricks, and now I have a certificate that says I know `something' about R!

3976 - 4000 of 4,078 Reviews for R Programming

By Maneesh K

Feb 05, 2016

The teacher goes very fast with the concepts without really spending much time on each of them. It will be great if instead of covering all things in short amount of time, the teacher could write R code using each type of function in console so that students know exactly what to expect.

By Albert W

Jan 18, 2016

The gap between the lecture materials and programming assignment is enormous. So much of lecture seem to be on the history and theoretical of R programming that it completely fails to cover the material needed to actually completed the programming assignments. Incredibly disappointing!

By Afia M

Jul 25, 2020

Only take this course if you're already familiar with the basics of R programming, otherwise don't bother. The instructor is no help and you'll have to search the internet to complete the required assignments. Don't know about skills but this course sure gave me a lot of stress.

By Eleftherios L

May 25, 2017

The lecture material was very poor in terms of content and barely scratched the surface of the topic. I don't consider that passing this course you will learn anything but the very basics of R programming. In that respect you are better off reading a book on R.

By Jasen N

May 12, 2016

For an introductory course with no prerequisites, the assignments should cover material that has been introduced in lectures. Non-introductory and advanced courses in R can require students to look outside of lectures for completing relatively complex problems.

By Sydney R

Feb 12, 2016

BEWARE. If you are someone who is new to more advanced math or to any sort of coding, this course will be very confusing, totally unpractical, and you'll walk away not feeling like you've really learned how to use R in a real way.

I was incredibly disappointed.

By ADITHYA P

Jun 13, 2020

The lectures are good for basic understanding, but there are no sample programs in order to understand their real world application. And the assignments are not at all for beginners. There is a huge gap between the content and the assignments.

By You H

Jul 17, 2019

To be honest, this is the most terrible course that I have ever had on Coursera. The courses are not well organized, and the assignment has little to do with the videos, which means students have to learn by themselves to finish the assignment

By James B

Mar 27, 2016

Poorly organized and managed. Each week of this course should have been broken down into individual 4 week courses. I have 20 years software development experience, and I can tell you this is too much information to cram into a single class.

By Vignesh

Apr 06, 2016

The new platform Sucks!!!

The people who just want to learn for free and not purchase a certificate are barred from attempting the quizzes unlike the old platform. Not being able to take the quizzes completely ruins the learning experience.

By Bich T T

Jul 06, 2020

You don't have to go through the videos which I found painful because of the instructor's voice. The textbook includes everything in the videos. However, there was no application for the videos and textbook in the quizzes and assignments.

By Mohan U

Sep 28, 2020

I really wanted to learn R in my current Mac iOS environment, in a Linux/Unix environment. I only see here the course offered in Windows environment in archaic MS-DOS environment? I am not interested in that. Hence I unenrolled.

By Baurjan S

Sep 19, 2016

Somewhere during the second week there is a gap in coding that I could not overcome and this ruined the whole interest in pursuing the course because in order to overcome it I had to cheat. I don't feel like I am learning anymore.

By Lancer B

Mar 17, 2020

This class is a travesty in learning R. The lessons are misguided and do not prepare you for the overwhelmingly difficult homework assignments needed to complete the course. I would not recommend this to anyone trying to learn R.

By 吕沛航

Jun 23, 2017

The topic which was discussed by the professor can't match with the assignments and quiz.

I think the video of teaching should add more elements of practice, so that it would fit people with no basic knowledge of programming more.

By Rani B

Jul 19, 2019

There is a significant gap between the lectures and assignments. For someone with very limited programming background, this posed a great hindrance to my ability to use the resources provided to be successful on the assignments.

By Stephane G

Apr 20, 2017

Possibly the least well structured class ever. Also, not made for people to actually learn how to program in R. It is sad that I paid for this, and ended up going to another resource to learn... and it was much much easier.

By John S

Apr 15, 2016

Not a class for the beginning programmer. The lectures do not line up with the assignments, and if you don't have programming experience, you could easily spend 10-20 hours/week figuring out how to finish the assignments.

By george_p_chambers

Jul 03, 2017

The ask in the fist assignment was not formulated correctly. Felt the class needed more hands on learning. Although the lectures were clear and concise, going back to them really didn't help me with the assignments.

By Jose R

Jul 16, 2017

I think there is a total mis-match between the lesson material and the assignments. The amount of hours one needs to search the internet to augment the training. The recommended text doesn't even come close in

By Alexander N J

Oct 08, 2020

I don't feel like I really learned R from this course. I felt like they just made me aware of some features. Also, there was vast difference between the course lectures, swirl and actual assignments.

By Nkechi O

Oct 03, 2016

The assignments had nothing to do with the lectures. The teachers do a poor job of explaining basic concepts and theories. The class is a lot more advanced than the class description makes it seem.

By Shrief M A E

Jun 11, 2020

The assignments are too hard for the lessons that we had it made me frustrating, after week 2 I completely lost and didn't know what should I do .

I really don't recommend this course for beginners

By Yashar A

May 05, 2016

This course is the worst course that I have taken so far. I am not happy with the course content and the way that the lecturer uses to teach this course. I really want to refund my money!

By Leonardo N A

Jan 20, 2016

There is a wide gap between the lectures and the practice. Its clear that the video material is completely inadequate and insufficient for the course. A poor introduction to programming.