Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class are to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

JQ

Nov 17, 2017

INTERESTING COURSE. I HAVEN'T GIVEN SCHIZOPHRENIA MUCH THOUGHT OVER THE YEARS, BUT AFTER THIS COURSE A FEW RELATIONSHIPS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIVES MAKE MORE SENSE. THANKS SO MUCH.

SK

Aug 29, 2019

very informative would definitely recommend to anyone with a relatively detailed knowledge of psychology and neuroscience and who are looking into mental health - great course

1 - 25 of 82 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By joshua L

Jul 10, 2018

Excellent short course. The course gives video case studies of symptoms and the content is presented in a factual and informative way, bot of which aid learning.

By John W

Dec 24, 2018

Ideas clearly enunciated by a Professor who clearly has a deep passion fro this subject. It is also helpful that this presenter, Dr, Matt Kurtz, is personable and uses layman's language. Matt comes across as a friendly and knowledgeable advisor.

This is one of the best MOOCs I have undertaken.

By Sherri G

Sep 04, 2019

Very informative, the professor is engaging. The demonstrations were especially useful in allowing the student to see the positive and negative symptoms in action.

By Naomi F

Oct 10, 2018

I wish it could have gone more in depth.

By Michael B K

Sep 11, 2018

Could have been more comprehensive and more with indivigual case histories.

By petya

Dec 29, 2018

OK, but rather superficial

By Fahad A N

Dec 14, 2018

This course has helped me greatly in my employment in mental health. There is much information & references to follow up on. The lecturer's presentation is effective & interesting. There is a variety methods of delivering the information through video, slides, role play & discussion boards. This has helped me pass both quizzes first time and at a high score.

By Mihaela T

Dec 02, 2018

Great class, well structured and presented!

By Rob L

Dec 20, 2018

Excellent overview of the disorder - learned a lot.

By Lupita R

Jan 09, 2019

I really liked this course, it is a an excellent way to get an overview of Schizophrenia, from theories about etiology to different approaches in treatment. I liked how the neurology was explained and kept on target.

By Gabriela X

Feb 06, 2019

Un aprendizaje básico pero el conocimiento de bastante sustento.

By RASULOVA R I

Feb 10, 2019

delicate attitude

By Elaine W

Feb 01, 2019

I've learned in depth about schizophrenia. It has taught me a lot of things that AP Psychololgy doesn't cover. So it basically expanded my horizen on abnormal psych, and i'm pretty sure I'm gonna take clinical psychology as a major. Great course!

By Tinavasova A A

Mar 06, 2019

I"m so grateful!

By Inés A R

Feb 26, 2019

Very intersting course to get to understand schizophrenia better! :)

By Susanne D

Jul 12, 2018

Before taking this course I really had difficulties grasping what Schizophrenia really is and what its symptoms are. This compact course helped me so much in shedding light on this disorder. The "patient" interviews were really helpful and it was interesting to try to categorize the types of schizophrenia myself by the shown symptoms. Thanks a lot to Professor Kurtz and his team for this course!

By Lidia B

Sep 08, 2018

A very nice course for everyone who wants to know a bit more about mental illnesses. There is a stigma in our society that's why sometimes it is frightnening to deal with people with problems. The more you know the more you understand how to behave around such people and help them be a part of our lives. Thank you for the course it was very useful!

By Marc G

Aug 30, 2018

I loved the course! It’s concise and very much to-the-point, and provides a solid overview of all aspects linked to the history, epidemiology, diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment of schizophrenia from various approaches, both biological/pharmacological and psychosocial. The course consists only of videos, with no required readings associated, and there are some optional forums, but no peer-graded assignments. The assessment is based on one midterm and one final exam, each consisting of 20 questions; this is remarkable, as some of the courses I’ve taken here seem to contain more assessment questions than actual learning material. I particularly liked the practical demonstrations/role-plays, as they help understand how the lists of symptoms translate into real-life experience. Hats off to the instructor and the rest of the team who made this course possible. Thank you!

By ling

Sep 04, 2018

Very interesting subject.

By Haider A S

Oct 02, 2018

Amazing, I am learning so much. A big thank you to the professor.

By huda k

Sep 20, 2018

I currently study Psychology at A level, and this has covered not only the fundamentals we need but also context and history of the disorder which I found very intriguing to discover. thank you for this opportunity!!

By arzu e

Feb 16, 2018

I wish there were powerpoint slides and some extra reading materials. But overall, I've learned a a lot. Mr. Kurz's teaching style is very powerful, I'm not tired a bit while listening to him. The course syllabus is well designed, I can easily shifted through modules. Thank you for sharing your information and wisdom for free.

By Heather S

Apr 30, 2018

It is a very well structured introductory class on Schizophrenia. I just wish some of the information was elaborated on more. Very interesting though!

By Steve V

Jan 08, 2018

Excellent enseignement. Un contenu adapté au niveau d'un interne en psychiatrie qui souhaiterait balayer (superficiellement) le champ de la recherche actuelle dans le domaine de la schizophrénie.

By Ruken İ

May 17, 2018

Thank you so much for giving this brilliant course. I recommend everyone to take it!