Back to Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia, Wesleyan University

About this Course

The main goal of this class are to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

By JQ

Nov 17, 2017

INTERESTING COURSE. I HAVEN'T GIVEN SCHIZOPHRENIA MUCH THOUGHT OVER THE YEARS, BUT AFTER THIS COURSE A FEW RELATIONSHIPS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIVES MAKE MORE SENSE. THANKS SO MUCH.

By JL

Jul 10, 2018

Excellent short course. The course gives video case studies of symptoms and the content is presented in a factual and informative way, bot of which aid learning.

60 Reviews

By Zaryab Fatima

Apr 02, 2019

It is a very extensive course about schizophrenia.

By Tinavasova Ashura Abdullayevna

Mar 06, 2019

I"m so grateful!

By Inés Abalo Rodríguez

Feb 26, 2019

Very intersting course to get to understand schizophrenia better! :)

By Altug koraltan

Feb 20, 2019

In the lectures there might be more information about different types of schizofrenia, various other causes like child development, genetics etc. Besides some subtypes of schizofrenia and differential diagnosis from other diseases like mania, drugs etc.

I liked the videos. I liked to course instructors pace. Thank you.

I made many mistakes in my attempts due to my own concentration problems. Overall I liked the course very much.

By RASULOVA RAHMANA ISRAFIL

Feb 10, 2019

delicate attitude

By Gabriela Xon

Feb 06, 2019

Un aprendizaje básico pero el conocimiento de bastante sustento.

By Elaine Wei

Feb 01, 2019

I've learned in depth about schizophrenia. It has taught me a lot of things that AP Psychololgy doesn't cover. So it basically expanded my horizen on abnormal psych, and i'm pretty sure I'm gonna take clinical psychology as a major. Great course!

By Lupita Rojo

Jan 09, 2019

I really liked this course, it is a an excellent way to get an overview of Schizophrenia, from theories about etiology to different approaches in treatment. I liked how the neurology was explained and kept on target.

By petya

Dec 29, 2018

OK, but rather superficial

By John Woodrow

Dec 24, 2018

Ideas clearly enunciated by a Professor who clearly has a deep passion fro this subject. It is also helpful that this presenter, Dr, Matt Kurtz, is personable and uses layman's language. Matt comes across as a friendly and knowledgeable advisor.

This is one of the best MOOCs I have undertaken.