Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class are to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

JQ

Nov 17, 2017

INTERESTING COURSE. I HAVEN'T GIVEN SCHIZOPHRENIA MUCH THOUGHT OVER THE YEARS, BUT AFTER THIS COURSE A FEW RELATIONSHIPS AND UNDERSTANDING OF THEIR RELATIVES MAKE MORE SENSE. THANKS SO MUCH.

PW

Oct 19, 2019

Really fantastic, informative course which is online.Detailed understanding about the schizophrenia given along with possible explanations and biopsychology behind it.thank you Coursera.

1 - 25 of 89 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By Michael B K

Sep 11, 2018

Could have been more comprehensive and more with indivigual case histories.

By joshua L

Jul 10, 2018

Excellent short course. The course gives video case studies of symptoms and the content is presented in a factual and informative way, bot of which aid learning.

By Naomi F

Oct 10, 2018

I wish it could have gone more in depth.

By John W

Dec 24, 2018

Ideas clearly enunciated by a Professor who clearly has a deep passion fro this subject. It is also helpful that this presenter, Dr, Matt Kurtz, is personable and uses layman's language. Matt comes across as a friendly and knowledgeable advisor.

This is one of the best MOOCs I have undertaken.

By Sherri G

Sep 04, 2019

Very informative, the professor is engaging. The demonstrations were especially useful in allowing the student to see the positive and negative symptoms in action.

By JOHN Q

Nov 17, 2017

By Tiffany J T

Dec 02, 2019

This course has extensive coverage of various aspects of information on schizophrenia. I especially like the four demonstrations, which are very useful for giving a straightforward illustration of different types of symptoms.

It is suggested that the course could compile a reference list with those articles/papers referred to throughout the lectures. And I would appreciate it if some of the citations/references could be more updated.

Overall, it's a very wonderful experience learning this course :)

By petya

Dec 29, 2018

OK, but rather superficial

By Rob L

Dec 20, 2018

Excellent overview of the disorder - learned a lot.

By Elaine W

Feb 01, 2019

I've learned in depth about schizophrenia. It has taught me a lot of things that AP Psychololgy doesn't cover. So it basically expanded my horizen on abnormal psych, and i'm pretty sure I'm gonna take clinical psychology as a major. Great course!

By Lupita R

Jan 09, 2019

I really liked this course, it is a an excellent way to get an overview of Schizophrenia, from theories about etiology to different approaches in treatment. I liked how the neurology was explained and kept on target.

By Gabriela X

Feb 06, 2019

Un aprendizaje básico pero el conocimiento de bastante sustento.

By RASULOVA R I

Feb 10, 2019

delicate attitude

By Inés A R

Feb 26, 2019

Very intersting course to get to understand schizophrenia better! :)

By Tinavasova A A

Mar 06, 2019

I"m so grateful!

By Fahad A N

Dec 14, 2018

This course has helped me greatly in my employment in mental health. There is much information & references to follow up on. The lecturer's presentation is effective & interesting. There is a variety methods of delivering the information through video, slides, role play & discussion boards. This has helped me pass both quizzes first time and at a high score.

By Mihaela T

Dec 02, 2018

Great class, well structured and presented!

By ling

Sep 04, 2018

Very interesting subject.

By Lidia B

Sep 08, 2018

A very nice course for everyone who wants to know a bit more about mental illnesses. There is a stigma in our society that's why sometimes it is frightnening to deal with people with problems. The more you know the more you understand how to behave around such people and help them be a part of our lives. Thank you for the course it was very useful!

By huda k

Sep 20, 2018

I currently study Psychology at A level, and this has covered not only the fundamentals we need but also context and history of the disorder which I found very intriguing to discover. thank you for this opportunity!!

By Haider A S

Oct 02, 2018

Amazing, I am learning so much. A big thank you to the professor.

By Heather S

Apr 30, 2018

It is a very well structured introductory class on Schizophrenia. I just wish some of the information was elaborated on more. Very interesting though!

By Steve V

Jan 08, 2018

Excellent enseignement. Un contenu adapté au niveau d'un interne en psychiatrie qui souhaiterait balayer (superficiellement) le champ de la recherche actuelle dans le domaine de la schizophrénie.

By Ruken İ

May 17, 2018

Thank you so much for giving this brilliant course. I recommend everyone to take it!

By Antoine P

May 13, 2018

Captivating course about all the aspects of schizophrénia.

Matt Kurtz is a excellent teacher and his speeches are interesting, organised, and full of expectations for the development of future methods of treating schizophrenia

Than you !