Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

51 - 75 of 340 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By Beatriz d N W

Jun 20, 2019

I sincerely enjoyed this course. It has helped me to understand the illness and learn about it , so with some knowledge and understanding I feel better equipped to contribute to ameliorate their situation in the society.

I like to thank professor Matts Kurtz and the staff for the course.

By Omama K

The course covers all the major and significant areas associated with Schizophrenia. The instructors, especially, is very clear in conveying the ideas and concepts. He also conveys at an appropriate pace so that the listener has enough time to understand and absorb the concepts.

By Jan H

Mar 5, 2018

Very nice course on schizophrenia. I would especially recommend this course to medical students interested in the topic, as, in contrast to medschool, you get good overview over evidence based psychological and social interventions, instead of talking only about antipychotics.

By Jenniffer V M

Sep 14, 2020

Eu gostei bastante do curso pois da uma visão bem geral de como é esse transtorno e de como podemos ajudar as pessoas que sofrem com isso. Também é muito bom aprender quais as diferentes maneiras que a esquizofrenia afeta o ser humano. Obrigada por esse curso super didático!

By Jose F d G F

Jul 8, 2020

I appreciated the presentation of a historical context to diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia which also made certain to cover the biological, psychological, and social factors involved as well as the different theories and treatments along with the bases for these.

By Rebecca C

Apr 2, 2020

This helped broaden my understanding of how to work with patients that experience both positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. This is a topic that I feel usually gets brushed over in ab psych and an important topic for providers working in inpatient psych.

By Elnaz A

It’s been exciting and informative course that I really need to learn to improve my skills and treatment for some patients who i had especially with negative symptoms, now I’m more excited about my future as a PHD student which i want to apply, thank you professor.

By Linda

Jul 22, 2020

Very interesting course until the end. Realistic view into four patient casuses (actors). Very clear course. Not so many enumerations of theories but very practical and informative. There is a lot of variation. Not boring at all.

Thank you very much Professor Kurz.

By Alvin J J

One of the best lecture on Schizophrenia, Will apply the knowledge to treat my patients better. Thanks, Dr Matt Kurtz, and Coursera for the opportunity to learn. I believe this course can help me to treat my patients better and ease their life.

-Dr Alvin (India)

By Ankit B

Mar 9, 2020

Being taught my ideal professor is the best thing I can ever have. I learnt why brain, despite all of its complexities, is beautiful and worthy topic of scientific exploration. My interest in neuropsychology has increased many folds after doing this course.

By Gulay M

Dec 26, 2020

I am so grateful for this course. Special thanks to Dr.Matt Kurtz and Wesleyan University. Very productive material for students who intend to become a psychiatrist. I hope I will be able to become such a professional psyciatrist like Dr.Kurtz. Thanks!

By Arundhati K

Aug 4, 2020

the course instructor had wonderfully guided us through the course, explaining very sincerely the problems of being a schizophrenic. this course is wonderful experience for people who want to develop a further knowledge over the disorder schizophrenia.

By Meliza G D A

Nov 2, 2020

I am glad I enrolled in this course. As a psychology student, it helps me understand about Schizophrenia more. Not just it's diagnosis but also the biological, social and cognitive aspects of people with Schizophrenia. This is definitely helpful in me

By Marium F

Aug 16, 2021

I am an undergraduate psychology student who recently learnt more about schizophrenia as a disorder. This course has provided me with more knowledge than I could have asked or hoped for. Very informative, beautifully articulated and easy to complete.

By Camila A S O

Aug 15, 2021

It was really interesting to learn about this illness.

Hopefully in the future there will be more tools for practitioners and people who suffer from this illness to improve their lives and to prevent from suicide.

By P

May 15, 2020

Well-designed course that really helped me understand schizophrenia from a neuroscience and psychology perspective. The case studies helped with understanding the symptoms. Thanks to Dr. Kurtz, Coursera and the team that made this course possible!

By Taylor V

Apr 14, 2020

I have learned a lot of new information about the diagnosis, treatment and symptoms of Schizophrenia. This course takes you through all the learning material in an in-depth, informative and creative fashion. I genuinely enjoyed taking this course.

By Donna P

Oct 5, 2019

I am a paranoid schizophrenic and took this course so that I can know a little bit more about what is going on inside of my head. I learned a lot, and have even discussed some of it with my doctor and therapist. Thank you for offering this course!

By Elaine W

Feb 1, 2019

I've learned in depth about schizophrenia. It has taught me a lot of things that AP Psychololgy doesn't cover. So it basically expanded my horizen on abnormal psych, and i'm pretty sure I'm gonna take clinical psychology as a major. Great course!

By Maria T

Sep 29, 2019

It's a great course, it helped me a lot to understand schizophrenia as a whole and in depth. The lectures are well-structured and one can understand them. All the information provided is very interesting and helpful. It is totally worth it!

By gargi

May 7, 2020

I loved this course content. By profession I am psychotherapist & remedial educator at Mumbai. I got more insight in to schizophrenia, understood more detailed about it, its biology, sociocognitive remedies....etc Thanks to sir Matt......

By MD. Y A

Jun 5, 2020

This course progide really deep knowledge about schizophrenia. Want more realted abnormal psychological related course. Professor Matt Kurtz is given such a amazing lecture... I hope we will get more course by this Professor Matt Kurtz.

By Muhammet E N

Oct 1, 2021

If you are interested abot schizophrenia and its symptoms, this is the right course for you. Language is generally basic and, the lectures are at the intermediate level. You have to take notes for better learning and passing the exams.

By Antoine P

May 13, 2018

Captivating course about all the aspects of schizophrénia.

Matt Kurtz is a excellent teacher and his speeches are interesting, organised, and full of expectations for the development of future methods of treating schizophrenia

Than you !

By Aedrian A

Jan 3, 2021

This course is arguably the best starting point for anyone interested in the study, management and research of schizophrenia. Dr. Kurtz did a fantastic job of condensing hundreds of years of the evolving understanding of this illness.