Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

76 - 100 of 318 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By Holly V I

May 6, 2020

Thank you for this opportunity. I enjoyed the depth of the information regarding symptoms and neuroanatomy as well as the practical aspects such as assessing actors in the videos and thinking about recovery.

By sharon m g

Nov 14, 2020

Perfect platform to acquire knowledge about schizophrenia. Mr.Matt Kurtz explains in the best possible way with adequate examples and clear clinical demonstartions.Thanking coursera and Wesleyan university.

By Sean S

Aug 30, 2020

I found the course to be very insightful into the history of schizophrenia diagnosis and treatments. I also found the demonstrations in week 2 to be quite helpful in understanding symptoms of schizophrenia.

By Imjad H

May 7, 2019

It is indeed an amazing course on neuropsychological aspects of Schizophrenia, rarely discusssd as treatment options offered to patients in a psychopharmacology driven mental health modelof patient care.

By Neuza R

really good overview about the newest findings and knowledge about schizophrenia, helped me a lot refreshing my knowledge that wasn't fully up to date (study psychology but it was already some years ago)

By Loraine R

Jan 26, 2020

A really interesting and well presented course, covering the medical and social aspects of the condition. I enjoyed taking the course and would like more courses about specific mental health conditions.

By Camilla W

Feb 9, 2021

By Michael S

Jul 21, 2021

I lerant a lot more about the illness and how debilitating it actually is. I also learnt about the value of CBT and othe skills to apply to help those who suffer with this illness. Informative .

By steve v

Jan 7, 2018

Excellent enseignement. Un contenu adapté au niveau d'un interne en psychiatrie qui souhaiterait balayer (superficiellement) le champ de la recherche actuelle dans le domaine de la schizophrénie.

By Urvashi

Jul 8, 2021

i loved how accurate and precise and smooth this course was. very happy to have attended this. it really taught me all that i wanted to know and more. the demonstrations were also excellent.

By Md.Farzanoor R

Mar 14, 2021

Just spiffy and super cool to learn a complex disease. Everything was outstanding and super comprehensive. Love to know as my interest has grown after attending the lecture and and sharing.

By Vanessa R G

Jun 18, 2020

I can say that this course helped me with some terms that I did not know about this disorder. I would not hesitate to take another course with professor Kurtz who has good sense to explain.

By prachiti j

Oct 19, 2019

Really fantastic, informative course which is online.Detailed understanding about the schizophrenia given along with possible explanations and biopsychology behind it.thank you Coursera.

By Chesley L

Jun 16, 2019

This course is very helpful, especially for those doing researches on schizophrenia. It provides basic models that are extremely useful. I would come back to take notes when necessary.

By Julia C

Apr 21, 2020

The training provided by Professor Kurtz was excellent. It was thorough and professionally prepared and explained. There were several concepts and treatments that were beneficial.

By Açelya G

Dec 14, 2020

All lessons was perfect. When I was watching and make comments about the cases, make me more curious about schizophrenia and I felt I'm into the course. Thank you for everything.

By rudi m

Mar 31, 2020

I loved this course! I'm only 16,but i hope to have a future working with mental illness in children ^^ This course improved my knowledge on Schizophrenia so much more,thank you.

By Scott K

Aug 29, 2019

very informative would definitely recommend to anyone with a relatively detailed knowledge of psychology and neuroscience and who are looking into mental health - great course

By sayujya r

Jun 1, 2021

Amazing course to learn. The area of information coverage is precise. Very helpful to learn the overalls of Schizophrenia. Insightful due to use of roleplays and small quiz.

By Vidisha M

May 2, 2020

Great course! Thank you so much for creating such an informative course and it increased my knowledge regarding this disorder and people suffering from it. Thank you so much.

By Vanessa F

Aug 4, 2021

I have a degree in Psychology and I found this course very interesting because it offers a complete overview about schizophrenia. P​rofessor Kurtz's lessons are very clear.

By Aishani G

Apr 21, 2020

A very extensive course. It covers everything essential to know about the disorder. It even includes interviews of clients and the therapist so one can get a good exposure.

By Mary M

Nov 15, 2020

I learned a great deal in this course which is very helpful to me as my daughter has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Thank you for your thoughtful presentations.

By Dionifel V D G

Aug 2, 2020

I really enjoyed the course! Opened my understanding on what schizophrenia really is. Specially appreciated the module on the neuropsychology of the disease. Thank you!

By Giuliana B L

Mar 27, 2020

Amei o curso. Bastante pontual, claro e robusto. Obviamente é apenas uma pincelada na esquizofrenia mas os conceitos utilizados dão suporte para muito conhecimento.