Back to Municipal Solid Waste Management in Developing Countries

Municipal Solid Waste Management in Developing Countries, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne

About this Course

Have you come across large piles of garbage in neighbourhoods and streets and smelly waste disposal sites polluting the environment of low- and middle-income countries? Do you want to know what kind of sustainable solutions are appropriate to better manage waste and enhance recycling and recovery? If yes, this course is for you! This course provides you with an overview of the municipal solid waste management situation in low- and middle-income countries. It covers key elements of the waste management system, such as its technical, environmental, social, financial and institutional aspects. Besides understanding the challenges, you will be introduced to appropriate and already applied solutions through selected case studies....

By ES

Feb 27, 2017

Great introduction. It covers a wide range of issues concerning waste management and I thought the material was relevant and reflected my own observations of waste management in developing countries.

By OS

Sep 30, 2016

great course and content, it gives you a clear view of how waste management is done nowadays in developing countries and prepares you to innovate on the upcoming future of a circular economy

460 Reviews

By SARAVANAN RAMIAH SHANMUGAM

Feb 06, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It is very informative and helpful to discuss about the common problem faced by everyone throughout this world which is nothing but "Waste Management". This module covers the basic aspects of solid waste management collection, segregation, treatment and disposal. It also covers some valuable modules on recovering nutrients, energy from these wastes. I personally recommend this course to anyone who wants to contribute something to this ecosystem by learning and educating others to minimize/prevent waste, or to incorporate effective waste management practices in their community. Good Luck to all!

By ABDUL RAB

A

S

By Terrence Mlilo

Feb 01, 2019

Had done a module ( Solid waste management) for my Bsc but this course gave me further details which I did not know.

By Jamshed Yar

Jan 26, 2019

I found this course very informative and well organized. Everything explained by schematic diagrams and technique so that everyone easily can understand.

By Oishee Nag

Jan 25, 2019

Full of real world use cases

By Ephrem

Jan 11, 2019

Very much interesting!!!

By Marcel Boris Sènakpon AGBOSSOUTO

Jan 08, 2019

Ce cours est très intéressant et parle vraiment de la réalité de la gestion des déchets solides dans les pays en développement

By Loreley Louis-Tardieu

Dec 27, 2018

Really interesting with technical and political aspects, deep enough to be useful. Thank you so much!

By

Dec 18, 2018

Incredibly informative! I appreciate the increasing source of knowledge, every time I check in on it there is a new bonus video with additional content. Thank you for helping this Peace Corps Volunteer out.

By Ana Laura Coelho

Dec 18, 2018

Enjoy the course very much.

I feel that it gave me the tools to think better and make better decisions regarding waste management in my community.

I am very thankful to the cursera team for making this course available to us.