Back to Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy by University of Manchester

The course introduces the three key spectroscopic methods used by chemists and biochemists to analyse the molecular and electronic structure of atoms and molecules. These are UV/Visible , Infra-red (IR) and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopies. The content is presented using short focussed and interactive screencast presentations accompanied by formative quizzes to probe understanding of the key concepts presented. Numerous exercises are provided to facilitate mastery of each topic. A unique virtual spectroscopic laboratory is made available to enable students to measure and analyse spectra online. Assessment is via summative quizzes completed during the course period....

KB
Oct 14, 2020

This course helped me to further understand the principle behinds the 3 main spectroscopic techniques: UV/VIS, IR and NMR which is very beneficial for my future career working in a lab environment.

MR
May 7, 2020

It was a good experience to learn online. This course increase my knowledge an i gain new concept which are very helpful for me and guide me in this field more. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO COURSERA.

26 - 50 of 433 Reviews for Introduction to Molecular Spectroscopy

By Vincent C

May 7, 2020

This course is exceptional course for chemical engineering students. I found this course was fascinating for me and I gained knowledge regarding the basic concepts of spectroscopy very well from this course.

By M R

May 8, 2020

By S R

Jun 10, 2020

I would like to thank the instructor Patrick J O'Malley, D.Sc for the very high energetic and interesting online lecture. Really, it enriched my knowledge of Molecular Spectroscopy

By Dr R

It is an excellent course. For a beginner it helps to familiarise tree different spectroscopic technics. I appreciate the effort of the instructor in designing the course and appropriate quizzes. course like this makes one to love chemistry

By 胡艺瑶

Feb 5, 2020

I have gained detail information about each different characterization techniques and how to analyse the graphs. All the knowledge is extremely useful in my latter study.

By Amandeep S

May 7, 2020

great learning experience.notes are of very simple language.great study material.loved this.videos are good as hell especially the subtitles demostate all the worrds

By Jesus A J R

Apr 21, 2020

Aprendes muchas cosa nuevas y sorprendentes a partir de material de alta calidad. Si es el primer acercamiento que tienes a la espectroscopía, te va a fascinar.

By DANIEL R S

Apr 17, 2020

Very well. I have learned and understood many new things about spectrometry, explained by Master O'Malley in a clear and simple way. I recommend.

By Dr M R K

May 5, 2020

Its really good course for Masters in Chemistry useful resources on spectroscopy and Assignments are relevant to topics thanks to Dr Patrick sir

By Faisal S A

Apr 18, 2020

It was a great course and thank you D.Sc Patrick to for explaining and simplifying this course , I really enjoyed and good luck for the rest .

By Sofija K

Nov 8, 2019

I really did not like the way the professor was explaining. There was no story to it, no proper narrative. He may be the expert in his field, and I salute that, but there are many less knowledgeable people who could explain this much better. I wanted to quit the course many times, but I am not a quieter. If you are new to Spectrometry, I do not recommend you take this course. If you already learned about spectrometry and want to take this course to brush up on the basics (like I did), do not waste your time.

The saving grace of this course are lab spectra that you are given to interpret at your own pace. Great exercises! Absolutely loved them!

By Dominick M

Oct 9, 2017

A decent qualitative and quantitative intro to UV/Vis, IR, and NMR spectroscopy. The lecture videos are little more than the instructor reading the slides, and coughing. The slides are a good intro to the material, but you can probably find better videos on youtube. Though this class give you experience in solving some quantitative problems, the quizzes and final have many mistakes in the answers which have not been fixed despite many posts in the discussion forum.

By Shweta M

Jun 24, 2020

The recording of a class lecture for an online course simply does not work for this course. The lecturer had many pauses and interruptions in his manner of speaking which does not help for a student who can only rely on listening to the lecturer and trying to grasp the concept.

By Wei Y

Feb 21, 2018

Youtube level videos. The quiz is poorly designed.

By M. S

Aug 6, 2020

It was a very informative course and easy to understand. It helped me learn the basics of Molecular Spectroscopy which helped me in interpreting and understanding the data that I obtained in my B.Tech dissertation project which involved IR and NIR spectroscopic studies. Thanks to the course instructor for this very useful course on Molecular Spectroscopy.

By Krystle A S

Sep 11, 2020

I really learned a lot from the lectures. The questions in the quizzes were a bit tough but I was able to answer most of them. There were, however, few questions which were not discussed in the lectures. Perhaps, more examples (the complex ones) should be included in the lectures. Nevertheless, I had fun learning. Thank you.

By Alejandra A

Excelente información, muy completo en cuanto a las técnicas espectroscópicas y los cálculos involucrados. Explicación clara y sencilla, los videos estan en buena calidad al igual que todo el material. Lo recomiendo para un estudiante o recien egresado que quiera profundizar en las técnicas de analísis instrumental.

By Mayank K P

I found this course on molecular spectroscopy is very helpful to me to understand the basic concept behind the molecular spectroscopy and the way the professor explained the concept was wonderful. The most interesting thing about this course was the assignment and quizzes that u have provided after every week.

By Dr. V J M

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to enrol in this informative online course of Molecular spectroscopy. Few answers are not matching with questions, typo errors and needs corrections. Overall, it was great experience for studying three spectroscopic techniques in details and strengthened the concept.

By Md. R K

Jul 4, 2020

This was my first online course in Coursera ; and I have learned many aspects of spectroscopy throughout the course . As a Chemistry student , I strongly believe that ,this certificate will help me to achieve my goal . To my way of thinking , this is a highly recommended course for Chemistry student.

By Dr. H T

Jun 1, 2020

I would like to thanks the instructor, who designed this course in a way that any person can understand easily without any preknowledge of spectroscopy. This course touches the basics required to be skilled in spectroscopy. It helps me a lot to build my confidence in spectroscopy. Thanks once again.

By SILVANA C C

Sep 11, 2020

Es un buen curso para quienes amamos las espectroscopia, la información es acertada, especifica y las herramientas que entregan, en terminos de conocimiento, mejoran el aprendizaje. Si, recomiendo que los capítulos por vídeo, mejoraran su dinámica y la fluidez del profesor igualmente.

By YAZMÍN A V

Jul 22, 2020

Permite conocer los fundamentos básicos necesarios para la comprensión de tres espectroscopías esenciales para ciencias. Además los conocimientos adquiridos se pueden utilizar y evaluar adecuadamente por medio de las tareas. Adicionalmente, excelente explicación del profesor

By Dr. A S R

At week four, quiz bit no. 29, answer is D, i.e., fourth option. but It is said that incorrect. I am hereby requesting the Sir Patrick to correct it if I did do mistake. confirm once and do it. But teaching and problem solving skills are very good. Thank you sir.

By Aminu M

Jun 9, 2020

Well, I would say a very thank you to first of all the person who introduced me to Coursera Hauwa Yahaya Umar. I can vividly say, joining this wonderful organization was one of the biggest thing that happened to my life. The programme is both tough and flexible.