Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

2576 - 2600 of 2,797 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Kiran G

May 27, 2021

It is a good course but could be better. beginners find it hard to understand what Mrs. Sadie actually means as some lectures are missing examples to better understand. I found the prompt reading by the teacher a bit flustered too which made it difficult for me to grasp what she wants to convey. I don't mean to be rude that was my personal experience. the first 2 weeks are fine though. Thank You.

By Cristian F D C

Dec 8, 2020

It's a nice start for beginers, the videos and the quiz between courses are good.

But, maybe you should be more responsable with the final exam, it was not so clear considering english it's not the natural language of us and not always its the same to translate and to interpretate. By the way, the database used in the last exam requieres a check, and please, enable "INSTR" function in SQL fields.

By Alexander S

Aug 10, 2020

Good overview, and you will learn soemthing for sure. Some course notes would greatly help. Also, sometimes in the videos it could help if a cursor would highlight on which part of the slides we are currently talking about and the SQL code in theslides should always go woth the output, so that a beginner can easily grasp what is going on. Some mindor mistakes in the assignments also.

By Nikolai A

Jan 4, 2018

Only reason I did not give this class 5 stars is because the final project is horribly organized and very difficult to through - it doesn't test your ability to use SQL or solve data science problems, but your ability to figure out what the instructor wants.

Besides that, the lectures are great and engaging (and short, so you can't get burned out), and SQL is very fun to use!

By Marc G

Mar 27, 2018

A reasonably good course but not of the calibre that I've come to expect from Coursera. Assignments were poorly worded and clearly not thought out properly. The mentors also appeared inadequately prepared and were largely unhelpful. I think with a little effort the course could be tidied up and meet the standards I have experienced in the other Coursera courses I have done.

By Yesra I

Mar 2, 2021

The peer guidance review is not required as this is a beginners course and its makes it a very dependable course on someone to review it

also i personally felt the examples thought during classes where simpler and what was asked in coding paper were challenging, making us go everywhere to check and confirm the coding . It could at times become taxing rather than fun learning

By Cathy W

Mar 11, 2020

Course was a good introduction to SQL and its application to Data Science. There were some more complex concepts such as joins that I thought should have been explained and more examples provided in the course as it was assumed that someone had a good understanding of these concepts for the quizzes and final project when they were only lightly touched upon in the course.

By José R

Jan 24, 2019

Good introduction/refreshment course. I think it needs some updates, though. There are some errors in the slides and in the quizzes (even pointed out in the forums) that should be fixed. Some assignments could be improved too, some questions are not very clear.

Minor issues apart, I enjoyed taking the course and would take it again.

By Diego O H

Nov 7, 2019

The quality of the course decreased after Week 1. I understand what you put in is what you get out, but the course didn't offer any additional practice for the extra resources they provided. Also, the lectures were terrible as the instructor hardly showed any of the code's output, which means I had no idea if it was correct or not.

By Jason K

May 21, 2019

It was a great course and I've definitely improved my SQL skills, however there were a few things that could be improved. Practice questions and quizzes should be placed throughout the course material, not at the end just before the final quiz. Secondly, the content itself could be explained in better ways. Not always very clear.

By Ege K C

Feb 8, 2018

I carried some advanced skills from Excel that helped me understand the subject better. I like non-scripted more natural story-telling like courses better. Otherwise I prefer more advanced tricks for programming. Overall, it was a simple to understand and start programming kind of course. Oriented for beginners, no prerequisites

By Adam J

Dec 6, 2020

Some of the video lessons did not cover the material that well, or were pretty difficult to understand without context. Most of them were fine, but I had to do a lot of research myself outside of Coursera in order to answer some of the quiz questions. Maybe this was the point however...... still frustrating at times.

By Arthur I A

Nov 27, 2019

This course is bad structured - the rule from simple to complex is not respected. Focuses more on theoretical knowledge. Only suitable for beginners to familiarize themselves with SQL.

I recommend read the book: "Beginning SQL Server 2005 Programming" (by Robert Vieira) - it best for your starting in the SQL "world".

By Orzumand K

Feb 14, 2020

The course is very good for beginners but you need to do your own homework. No actual coding was practiced in this course so I had to learn it on my own. Also, got very confused with understanding RDBMS and differences between SQL/SQL lite and etc. Overall, course was informative and helpful in learning SQL.

By Thiago G

Targeted to business people - explanations might feel unsatisfactory if you're more of a programmer. Final assignment took me a lot longer than expected as it required solving problems for which the course have not prepared me - the optimists will say that's a little of a real life learning experience.

By Sagar G S

Jul 11, 2020

It was good content but I wish after each concept or syntax, there was a sandbox example in-between videos cause it will help understand better and in terms of syntaxes not tested in the final review, we might have forgotten. Also, the peer-reviewed assignment was a bit much for my learning objective.

By Gunjan s

Jun 6, 2020

I feel the knowledge shared in the course was not extensive and also the lessons could have been more practical. Since I have already had hands on on the SQL DB's before, it was less of a challenge for me but overall content and the topics covered were good. Only if it could be more elaborate.

By Sing Y L

Jul 8, 2020

This course is OK. But the problem is mentor seldom answers your question in the forum, so once you encountered any problem, it's hard to continue. Also, the elaboration in the lessons can be improved with the aid of the output table, since only showing the code is inadequate for beginners.

By Shihabun S

Oct 20, 2020

Assignments and practice quizzes are great. Lecture videos should include ER diagrams because without them learners need to imagine the tables and application of each topic discussed. Also lecture videos should include more examples of each SQL function for better understanding.

By Daniel B

Jun 4, 2021

I found the final peer-review project to be a good challenge, but disproportionate to the challenges that preceded it. The material is fine for a foundational course but I felt the instructor really didn't add any value beyond what reading from a page or a slide would provide.

By Cristiane d S C

Sep 7, 2020

The course is interesting and really focuses on the basics, so it's good for people who know nothing about programming or SQL. I didn't like the final assignment, though. I felt it was too difficult compared to the content of the course and the Forum wasn't very useful to me.

By Udit B

Mar 12, 2020

This course teaches the very basics of SQL but in the final assignment gives real world problems, that was never mentioned in the course span. How to use the queries for analytics and gathering data and coming to some conclusion, these things are not available in this course

By ken k

Sep 15, 2021

Would be better to be able to see how examples play out. The whole course is just videos made up of 3-4 slides as backgrounds. No code is ever run so you can see the queries run. I had to seek out and download SQLite and a sample DB to run test queries to practice on.

By Md A A

Jan 18, 2021

The quizzes are lot more demanding than what we're taught. Good for someone who knows the basics of sql or other coding language (python or R) and wants to go over them. Too difficult for one who has no experience in any coding language and wants to learn here first.

By Daenara

May 28, 2018

I give it three stars because I did learn a few things.

I think my only recommendation is to add some more practise coding before the quiz available . For example, after we finish a video, have a practise code since coding is learnt by doing more often than anything.