Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

AM

Jun 08, 2019

Great introductory to the SQL programming. This will definitely not only add another programming skill but also give me more capabilities programming in SAS. I would recommend this to anyone.

MS

Mar 11, 2019

Great course i had a very good learning experience from this course and what i was expecting from this course i got that knowledge and i am very happy to take this course. thank you so much.

1 - 25 of 478 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Leo U

Nov 25, 2018

Great for complete beginners.

+) Video tutorials + coding practices in controlled, sandbox environment.

+) No need to install anything. You can complete everything in browser view.

-) Quiz and exam questions are poorly written; they are unclear and unhelpful.

-) Quizzes and exercises are also far an few between. You need more frequent exercises.

-) Nobody will answer your questions. But that's ok. You will still learn the fundamental concepts and you will pass the test.

Overall, this course is good as a very first step in a safe and clean environment. If you want something in a more real environment (say, integrate with Python), you will need to take another course.

By Finn O

Apr 06, 2019

Poorly designed quiz and final project questions combined with a SQL interface which cannot use some of the commands introduced in the lessons leads to tedious parsing of the questions. But it is short and there appears to be enough students to make the peer review of the final project possible in April 2019. Not recommended.

By Luca T

Mar 18, 2019

The videos contain the material necessary to get a basic understanding for relational databases and sql.

I ended up skipping a lot of parts in the videos because of the extremely slow pace. The lectures also feel very scripted as well as awkward and were not very enjoyable to watch.

The tests were mostly ok, sometimes the tasks were not possible to be solved with the knowledge learned or with the very limited sql-version available (sqlite). It sometimes felt like the creators did not solve them before submitting.

The final assignement is quite the mess. A lot of repetitive work, sometimes the questions plainly dont make a lot of sense. Eg: Is there a correlation between factor a and b? Show by looking at top 10 results for a... not very statistically meaningful!

By Chutian Z

Jan 17, 2019

Pretty decent introductory course to SQL.

Pros: Quiz and coding assignments are good, overall speaking.

Cons: (1) The instructor usually spends lots of time laying out the learning objective and the background info. (2) Too few examples. (3) Too few coding tests. Ideally, put one quick test after each video for students to get their hands dirty as soon as possible rather than wait till the end of the module. (4) Provide summary pdfs which summarizes the syntax the module covers. (5) Provide answers to the coding questions.

By Andres H

Dec 24, 2018

Well the examples were very accurate for the course. I liked the final assessment specially it was a very good practice

By Alexandra R

May 25, 2019

The course met my expectations as someone with no real prior knowledge. I now feel much more confident.

The lectures were well structured and the were a good amount of exercises. THe only reason I am giving the course 4-stars is due to the final exercise. Some of the questions were vague/not worded clearly enough. I had to dig through the forum to try to understand the questions.

Overall I would recommend this course!

By Marwan D

May 16, 2019

The lectures are littered with sloppy errors that haven't been fixed or acknowledged even after multiple people have pointed them out more than a year ago. Some of these errors seriously impede understanding and progress.

The narration is awkward and appears to have been written by someone other than the narrator.

Some of the assignment questions are terribly worded and mentors have provided inconsistent clarification on how to deal with some of these cases.

Many legitimate concerns that have been raised in the forums have not even been acknowledged let alone addressed by staff/mentors.

Nevertheless, the course at the very least does provide a reasonable structure, and the graded quizzes/assignment motivate students to achieve a certain level of mastery.

By André A

May 01, 2019

I dislike being negative about courses, but I really struggled on this one. The lecture videos felt disconnected from the coursework, and it was often unclear what the lectures were supposed to be teaching me. There was very little detail in the lectures themselves, but rather vague bulletpointed lists that the lecturer just read out verbatim.

The assignments were too few and far between, and I seldom got the opportunity to try out the techniques that were mentioned in the lecturers for days or weeks, so when I did I often didn't understand what I was being tested on. In many cases, I found I had to read up on W3 Schools instead to find the correct clauses and syntax. Despite the supposed focus on SQLite, I don't feel we covered using SQLite in enough detail for me to say I would feel familiar with it vs any other environment.

The forums were a long list of questions from confused students with little useful feedback, and the final assignment had questions that couldn't be answered literally, which made the peer-reviewed nature of the marking unpredictable.

I can't recommend this course as it currently stands.

By Luke F

Apr 30, 2019

I come from a background of teaching for 18 years, and not in SQL. My biggest criticism for this course is the lack of preparation for the culminating activities. The course saves all the challenging work for the last 2% of the course. Even that would be okay, if you were prepared via practice early on for the rigor at the end. All the assistants and fellow students try their best to help each other in the forums without cheating, but it shouldn't be this way. If so many students are needing so much help in the final part of the course, then that speaks to ineffective and inadequate instruction early in the course.

Teaching is not just knowing the material or being engaging. The real work of an instructor is to create instruction that builds students' knowledge and prepares them for tasks in a logical, methodical progression. This course was like playing on the monkey bars and some light tumbling for 90% of the time, then suddenly being asked to stick a landing in the Olympics off the uneven bars. I exaggerate to make the point of my frustration.

By Laura W

Apr 30, 2019

Instructor seems not to have written or read the script prior to recording - stumbling over her words is distracting and reduces learner comprehension. No way to practice coding with feedback in the module. Practice exercises at the end of the module include no feedback, hints, or examples - it may as well be a test. I stopped after two weeks - I was wasting my time.

By Miguel M

Mar 31, 2019

many of the quiz problems are poorly constructed! We are told after the fact "ohh... we forgot to tell you the value is a string, so you need to fix that field before attempting the min/max we are asking for." Design a better course!!!! Going to EdX SQL class instead which uses the DataCamp back end!

By Manas S

Mar 11, 2019

By Peilin G

Feb 02, 2019

As a beginner, the course is easy to understand and follow, and the course teaches a lot of useful commands. However, I think the course still has a lot to imrove. Some codings in the lectures have problems (e.g. lack ','). When introducing new commands, the teacher did not show the running results of the coding example. I also think the course lacks some application in the real world. Maybe providing more real business cases will help students understand better about when some commands will be applied.

By Nikhil K s

Jan 30, 2019

Great course with great learning and an opportunity to apply that learning

By Sergii S

Jan 12, 2019

The Content of the course is good, quizzes are fine, but the final project is a total mess up, inconsistent and don't contain the course potential, so you won't be able to apply the knowledge by doing it

By Maxine L

Dec 23, 2018

Very clear and useful class! The outline of each module is easy to understand and follow, and the assignment is helpful to strengthen SQL skills.

By Megan H

Dec 21, 2018

So helpful! Really helped me learn SQL on a level that I am confident enough to add it to my resume.

By Yifan Z

Dec 07, 2018

She's a horrible teacher as of explaining code. For the most time, she only shows the input and never mentions the output. And if you google it, most of the codes are from templates online that are not very illustrative. Also, many of the questions in quiz are irrelevant to what she taught, or the things she spent a lot of time on never appeared in the quiz. Terrible experience with this instructor.

By Manish R

Nov 30, 2018

Good course. The peer assignments was a bit challenging hence most interesting as well.

By Gary B

Nov 15, 2018

This is not a course. It is a presentation of material. The version of SQLite that is provided does not support the important and flexible functions that SQLite normally supports.

The material covered is very very very basic.

I do not recommend this course as there are more efficient methods of getting an introduction to SQL.

By Chloe W

Oct 31, 2018

=) Very clear walkthrough of important concepts in SQL and why use certain functions for certain tasks.

=( Wish there were more practice questions so it's more interative.

=( Also it would be great if there are more "real-life" SQL practices that involve solving for an actual question that you might encounter as a data scientist working for a tech company.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Sadie!

By Omer G

Jul 02, 2018

While I did learn some useful bits, I found the course lacking. I think it could have been much improved if certain conditions would have been met:A. More practice! You don't learn a computer language by hearing about it, you learn by using it. The only practice this course had were the quizzes, and they were far from sufficient. I would expect each lesson to be followed by at least some practice. I often found myself venturing to different websites in order to practice what I had learned, and learned more from that than I did from the actual course.B. Better explanations. I found the explanations short and sometimes lacking. Moreover, at times there was no synchronization between what the instructor was saying and what was presented on screen (e.g. she was talking about products when the example presented data of employess). It's a small thing but can be very confusing. It is very important to be precise here. Again, I found myself reading elsewhere in order to better understand certain concepts, which I might as well have learned elsewhere altogether.C. Examples! Again, you don't learn a computer language by hearing about it. You learn by using it or by seeing how it is used. Whenever I'm taught something, I want to be shown examples of possible ways to use it. Examples were scarce and incomprehensive.D. Applicability. The course is called "SQL for Data Science", yet I found very little in the way of applying SQL to data science. I would expect a lot more tips and tricks and examples of real-life problems and how an actual data scientist would tackle them. There was almost none of that. There were positives as well. The instructor was pleasant, the course was pretty well structured and did provide an introduction (although not much more) to SQL. But I did not get what I was hoping for.

By Gary L

May 03, 2018

This was an amazing course. I learned so much practical and application skills from the course. The lectures are great, as our the assignments and tests.

Thank you for a great time!

By Veronica G S

Feb 19, 2018

The course is basically theoretical. There is not any practice during the course except for the quizes and the final project. I had to complement the theory I learned here with another online course that focuses on the practice.

Also, some questions of the final project were not clear enough, while reviewing I found out that people understood different things.

By Chris S

Jan 30, 2018

There is virtually no assistance from staff regarding the numerous clarifications necessary to even understand the last assignment (peer-review), and I'm pretty sure we didn't go over correlation and/or regression in the course, let alone hypothesis testing.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish the course at all considering the plethora of uncorrected problems plaguing the course. I recommend that this class be evaluated for quality assurance.

I am not the only student experiencing problems with this assignment. The forums for week 4 are teeming with unanswered questions regarding the assignment and its unclarity.

I recommend contacting UCD and telling them that they really need to solve the problems with the class.

Best,