Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

MP

Jul 18, 2020

best course for learning SQL for beginners.I learned so much from this course.the speaking language is also simple ..So i Recommended this course for beginners who's 2nd or third language is English.

101 - 125 of 1,582 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Luna K

Jul 22, 2019

Good introduction to learning SQL, data science best practices, and tools to continue developing this skillset. The lessons and quizzes are well-organized and easy to follow, as well as give good food-for-thought questions to get the problem solving gears going. Would recommend to anyone getting into learning SQL.

By VINAYAK G

Mar 26, 2020

The lectures videos are the right size. Assignments are too simple at times. Final peer-review assignment was decent difficulty and allows for a lot of involvement; it also introduces you to data analysis in a structured manner. Liked the course very much. I'd recommend it to beginners in SQL and/or data science.

By Amir T

Feb 26, 2019

I liked the way the material necessary for data analysis was presented and organized. I think there could be a bit more difficult exercises during the course to prepare learners better for final project and give them better idea what is expected in real world.

Overall, it was awesome and well designed. Thank You.

By Cedric T

Jul 25, 2019

Dear teachers I thank you for this course because I took this course to understand the analysis of data sql data science and also to get ahead in my job and especially what I appreciated is the course methodology and homework flexibility that allows the learner to succeed and master. Thank you and see you soon.

By ANUP S

Jan 07, 2019

Absolutely wonderful course. For someone who knew absolutely nothing about using SQL, this course has helped me to understand SQL coding and more importantly understand the logic behind trying to attain the desired result. Would absolutely recommend this course for anyone interested in a career in data science.

By Nidhi V S

Apr 16, 2020

This is a brilliantly designed course. I was a novice in the field of data science when I started this course but now at the end, I have learned a lot. The course was easy to follow and the in-course assignments helped me practice the application of SQL. I am confident in my skills as a data scientist.

By Srishti S

Jul 11, 2020

The instructor was very good in teaching various aspects of Data Science. She was very knowledgeable regarding the course. Also, easy queries were maintained to solve the real-world problem as well. This course has helped me in upgrade my skill in the field in which I am the most interested. Thank you.

By Antonio M

Dec 29, 2018

This course provides me the basic techniques to jump into the electronic medical records and start to code queries and provides reports to Clinical and Research Management. The test are intense and the final project is a real challenge. The good news is I learned to code as a beginner SQL programmer.

By Yossakorn K

Jun 13, 2020

I ever thought the programming languages were difficult to understand even a basic one like SQL. But after I enrolled this cause it changes my mind a lot. It's not really hard whether you pay intention and apply good tips from the instructor. Hopefully, It's my first step for continuing this kind.

By Dita A

Feb 02, 2019

I took this course due to a new project at work which involves checking the input data by querying it using SQL scripts. This course has really eased my job. It covers the basic stuff pretty thoroughly. I recommend this course to anyone who's just starting out (or aspiring) to be a Data Scientist.

By Yekaterina G

Jun 18, 2020

The course is great at introducing the basics of SQL. It is engaging, encouraging, and fun. I highly recommend it!!! There are some confusion points in the slides and assignments, but overall, there are minor. Very worth it -- I learned so much and feel more confident in using SQL in the future.

By Saurabh S P

Jul 07, 2020

THe best course till now on coursera.No need to have knowledge of sql as it starts from the beginner level.The best course for beginners who want to learn sql.Best way of teaching as it provides quizzes and assignments at the end of module to test whether the learner has understand or not.

By Diego R G

Feb 24, 2020

I took another Data Science course from Michigan and it was horrible! I was concerned about going into this course, but it completely regained my faith in MOOCs and Coursera in general. This is a great course without question. Take your time on each assignment and you will learn a lot!

By Mithila H

Jul 22, 2020

It was a good start to the basics of SQL. I would request for inclusion of more sessions/videos in this course. These videos can enable students to gain deeper knowledge of SQL. Also, I request one to one sessions with the mentor. This will help in clarification of queries/doubts.

By Jason L

Apr 30, 2019

So far this course is great for introductory classes. I took IBM's SQL for Data Science and I had a bad experience. Here the course is very well structured with clear concepts at a well-taught speed. I highly recommend it. So far 5 stars. I'll update this review once I'm fully done

By mark w

Dec 17, 2017

I enjoyed the course and learned a basic understanding of SQL. The final project is very difficult and seems geared more towards advanced SQL users. If this is your first exposure to SQL you will find the final project frustrating and you will need to refer to other texts to t

By Sergio G C

Dec 13, 2018

Loved this course. Easy to follow videos, they go straight to the point and you can practice queries right away from the first lesson. Gradually increases in difficulty and you end up doing a very interesting and helpfull assingment. I fell I earned all the basics in SQL.

By Rashi S

Jul 31, 2019

I liked the course and the way it was taught. Just a suggestion if possible for coding from the starting of the module till the end that is for the complete lectures practice questions can be given so that entire coding can be practiced. Thankyou for the great opportunity.

By Li F

Aug 06, 2020

The MCQ in between lectures is extremely helpful in keeping up to the content. I also especially enjoy the coding questions that are really practical in helping learners understand and execute the knowledge covered in the lecture. Overall great presentation and structure!

By Angelos S

Jan 04, 2020

It is a well structured and detailed course in terms of data analysis, SQL principles and differences between relational models (ER) and NoSQL. The difficulty level is between novice and intermediate and the instructor is very helpful and analytical. Overall recommended.

By Aurora-Core S P

Nov 04, 2019

I believe this course is perfect to have a first approach towards SQL. Moreover I like how it relates to Data Scientists' context, and how it helps to understand Data Scientist's role and mindset. In general it was very useful and easy to follow lessons given by Sadie!

By Tina M

Jan 11, 2020

This was a great course, it provided me with great examples not just in the Instructor notes but in the side reading material that I have taken and created a review reference folder for future review. This is a great class and and I am glad it is apart of the program.

By Azka A

Apr 29, 2020

It is a very good course for beginners who want to learn SQL. It starts from the very basics and no previous knowledge is required. The instructor is really great and the lectures are informative. It will benefit anyone who wants to start learning SQL from scratch.

By Ignacio G B

Jul 25, 2019

I had already some experience with other databases and higher education on science and I founded it interesting enough, not very difficult, easy to follow, do not expect very challenging things. All in all, I have learned a lot and I am satisfied. I recommend it.

By Martin B

Feb 26, 2019

Another great class from Coursera - very helpful exercises and final assignment, both of which really helped in learning the content that was nicely presented by the instructor. Without writing a lot of queries, it's simply not possible to really learn SQL.