Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

RN

Jun 14, 2020

Better than I hoped for. I learned everything I needed in order to feel competent in the basics of SQL. It was just the right amount of instruction and challenge, perfect for a beginner like me.

251 - 275 of 1,450 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Noor S

May 03, 2019

I loved this course. I got to learn lot from this course. As I was zero in programming, this course gave my programming skills a new start.

By Uttiya K

Jun 18, 2020

I learned a lot. I was naive before doing this course, now I am confident I know a lot better. Kudos to the instructor and the whole team.

By Juan M F

Awesome learning of SQL. Programming techniques helpind Data Science to be developed. You wouldn´t have neve imagined how SQL can help DS.

By Aditya

Oct 04, 2019

Perfect course for SQL beginners. It will take you to a beginner-intermediate stage in a manner which enhances your overall understanding.

By Raylia G

Jul 28, 2018

The course is great! I love the data scientist role play part, make me feel like I can apply what I learned here into real world business.

By HARSH K S

Amazing experience. The lecture was the best and present in a very lucid manner.

The community for Discussion was also helpful and active.

By Suyash A

Oct 04, 2019

The course is simple and to the point, it teaches you the basics of data analysis as well how you can start thinking as a Data scientist.

By Muhammad A

May 05, 2019

I like the way course is organized and delivered. Easy to grasp the concepts and particularly I love playing with the Practice Exercises.

By Di H

Jul 14, 2018

The course teaches basic concepts which help understand fundamental questions like: what is SQL? why do we use it? what do we use it for?

By Karan A

Oct 29, 2019

Its a good course to get the basics of SQL right. I liked the final assignment of analyzing a data set and providing our analysis on it.

By Afonso M G

Jun 15, 2020

Very good for getting you from 0 to a sufficently good level of SQL. A great building block to becoming very good and coding with SQL.

By Anna Z

Great course for beginners! Great instructor, explaining concepts clearly. It is definitely worth taking for anyone dealing with data.

By Björn J

Feb 20, 2020

I really learned a lot in a short time. This course is a great start if one wants to learn SQL. I can absolutly recommend this course!

By Anya S

May 30, 2019

The course provide basic solid understanding how the querying work.

I would recommend it to everyone who wants to get great background!

By Alex J

Jan 12, 2018

Excellent intro to SQL. I've already recommended it to my Operations manager as a pre-requisite for read access to our SQL databases.

By Dominguez, D G

Sep 02, 2019

Excelente curso!!! Aprendí muchísimo sobre SQL en este més de curso y quedé muy interesado en seguir capacitándose en "Data Science".

By Jose R

Dec 04, 2018

Very well expalined, intended mainly for anyone which does not have any prior understanding for either SQL language or data analysis.

By Francesco L S

Nov 23, 2018

very nice introduction to SQL, in very few steps got me from my 0-knowledge to being able to understand DBs and run complex queries!

By siddharth k

Jul 07, 2020

A course with full of concepts for beginners as well as for advance ones

theory part is interesting and Question are also very good

By dipen p

Jun 26, 2020

As finance professional, there is great demand for knowing basic SQL. This course did just that and more. Well structured. Amazing

By RISHIKA J

May 12, 2020

Helped in increasing my interest towards Data Science. Amazingly designed course. Will surely recommend to everyone in this field.

By Toan V T

Feb 03, 2018

Great course for getting a good general understanding of SQL. The course material was paced very well and explain items very well.

By Ngo D K

Jul 02, 2020

This is a great course for learning SQL. The material and quiz are well organized. The instructor is really nice and professional

By Katarzyna B

Apr 22, 2020

Perfect course for beginners as well as for people with some experience in SQL. Information is presented in an understandable and

By Sachin T

Jan 30, 2019

This course is structured very well. Used concepts widely used in Data Science/Engineers work.

Few concepts required more details.