Back to Teaching Popular Music in the Classroom

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching Popular Music in the Classroom by Berklee College of Music

Teaching Popular Music in the Classroom explores approaches to teaching popular music from culturally rich communities in the United States. Students in the course will learn teaching methods that engage youth with the basics of improvisation, technology, songwriting, arranging film score, and writing to the strengths of small bands. The course models how to integrate principles of authentic cultural relevance and positive youth development with contemporary music instruction, while providing tools for assessing and documenting learning and program progress. Students in the course will refine their own pedagogical skills, applying principles of contemporary music instruction. Content and approaches are intended for secondary music programs, but can be adapted for elementary grade levels. All lessons are based in core standards for music education with recommendations for assessments....

RR

May 16, 2021

A well-thought-out course that dwells into the formalization of the music education ecosystem with assessments, technology, and lesson objectives.

YC

Jan 24, 2022

Very helpful for me as a music teacher who teach in a large number of studetns's class. An definitely upgrade!

26 - 29 of 29 Reviews for Teaching Popular Music in the Classroom

By Arthur S

Sep 10, 2021

When someone like me would like to learn online course, there is the reason. Because I want to get a job as music teacher. Therefore, I'm not music teacher now and I have nothing to write for reflect myself.

However, I learn to much for my future job. Thank you.

By mary m

Jan 8, 2021

we should have one on one vedio lessons with the tutors inorder to achieve even better learning process and also guidance.

By Leroy

Jun 12, 2021

A​ little outdate for today's situation. But definitely useable in classroom setting and for more developed countries.

By Eric C S

May 6, 2021

Discussions and assignments did not go very deep, I was looking more specifically for tools and language to develop my music lessons with beginners, but this seemed to focus more on how to bring the cultural education into lessons of students with musical background. My experience in music education is consistent with that mission, but I'm more interested in the 'how' part of that question than I am in the 'why'.

Also I did not enjoy the process of peer reviewed marking because I found that I got unhelpful feedback. In fact, I had to resubmit my assignment to get a different grade on the final assignment to pass. I completed the course work in 2 weeks but it's now taken 9 weeks for the course to complete.

Pros of the course however, good quality content, easy to follow lessons, and the jazz improv discussion group is a cool addition.