Back to The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

4.4

From small farms to urban neighborhoods, from the region itself to the more distant worlds of the southern diaspora, we discover the stories, music, and art of the American South....

ES

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!\n\nInteresting, documentary, not even one minute boring, very well organized and easy to follow.\n\nMusic is part of our history.

CC

Aug 26, 2015

Bill Ferris is a wealth of knowledge and experience - I only regret missing out on the classroom dynamic of a Ferris-led discussion of Southern arts, particularly the Blues.

1 - 25 of 72 Reviews for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

By Mario M

Mar 24, 2017

I want to thank Dr. Ferris for allowing us to get an inside to the beautiful worlds in the American South. The work Dr. Ferris has done in his career documenting the South and mastering it, is truly amazing. This is by far the most enjoyable class I have ever taken!

By Manfred S

Oct 03, 2015

This were some amazing and enjoyable weeks to learn so ,much about stories and music of the South. Thank you very much and in particular for the fotos and the audio and video recordings.

By Hugh M

Jan 09, 2016

The lecturers and interviews are relatively short and the quizzes don't ask that much of you, nevertheless this is a fantastic introduction to the south and explores a good breath of the arts and culture. The depth and passion of William Ferris's knowledge is obvious. He left me wanting more so I bought two of his multimedia books on Amazon, although he modestly didn't plug them I had to hunt them down.

By CYNTHIA W

Apr 20, 2018

Very interesting and informative course, I have a better understanding of southern culture, the stories, music and art I often heard my grandmother speak of.

By Lester P

Aug 22, 2015

As a non-American and a musician I found this course presented immensely interesting and important background information as to how life was and developed in the American South, culminating in hearing the story of its music which I now understand in its context. I heartily recommend this course!

By Olga d B

Feb 01, 2018

I really enjoyed the lectures. Thank you very much for such a great course!

By qqwwqq22

Feb 29, 2016

Very brief but round introduction for the art forms of the American South. Greatly changed my idea and increased my knowledge about the native people in the South. Slow speed of lecture is very easy to understand for non-English spea

By Mikhail A

Mar 11, 2016

Just started this, but in love with all this stories and music.

By Juan V

Nov 10, 2015

Was an hell of a ride! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

By TRUDY D

Jun 04, 2018

I am not originally from the South, but I have lived in Florida for the past seventeen years. I have always loved the stories, music, and art of the South, and now I know the history of them.

The course was extremely interesting and I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in these things.

By Deniz N E B T

Dec 16, 2015

So much fun! Very inter

By phunguyen

Dec 26, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. Very interesting!

By Gloria F L

Aug 31, 2015

Because I was born and raised in the South, I enjoy courses that expound my knowledge of southern culture. This is an excellent course and I am enjoying Dr. Ferris' lectures. It brings to mind my memories of early childhood experiences (the good and the bad) that have shaped the national and international consciousness. I state that because I lived in Atlanta, GA during the Civil Rights Era and I wear my southern style with pride, no matter where I travel.

By Joao P A

Jun 25, 2018

Excellent!!

By Dario

Jun 23, 2016

Very interesting, great professor

By Margaret F

Feb 04, 2016

This has been an interesting and informative course. It would be nice if Prof Ferris could produce an intermediate course on the same topic.

By Alice H S

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent! Full of treasure trove of information with History, stories and culture!

By Lynn D

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. The lecturer has a style that keeps you interested. The content was very interesting.

By Tony A

Dec 07, 2015

Great course, lots of fun and some great music and culture.

By Cathy G

Jan 24, 2017

I learned so much about the South that I didn't already know.

By Elizabeth S

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!

Music is part of our history.

By Elizabeth P

Nov 10, 2015

Engaging and interesting, a review of Southern Culture with an excellent instructor.

By Althea M

Sep 07, 2015

As part of the southern family living abroad I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Thanks Bill, for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. I look forward to watching your documentaries on Folkstream!

By Chris C

Aug 26, 2015

Mar 29, 2016

Started this course, but had to stop initially because I started a PhD. But I couldn't stop thinking about it so resumed the other day. Loved it.