Back to The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

4.4

From small farms to urban neighborhoods, from the region itself to the more distant worlds of the southern diaspora, we discover the stories, music, and art of the American South....

ES

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!\n\nInteresting, documentary, not even one minute boring, very well organized and easy to follow.\n\nMusic is part of our history.

CC

Aug 26, 2015

Bill Ferris is a wealth of knowledge and experience - I only regret missing out on the classroom dynamic of a Ferris-led discussion of Southern arts, particularly the Blues.

26 - 50 of 68 Reviews for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

By Rocío d C E

Sep 10, 2015

This is a course given by a person who really loves and feels passion for the subject... and this is doubtlessly reflected on the course

By John N

Aug 09, 2015

One of the best cultural studies I have ever taken! Dr. William Ferris showcases his mastery in capturing the heartbeat of the American South. Dr. Ferris tells each story with such amazing intensity and clarity that you can't help but be drawn into each moment - as though you were there. Take this class if you're looking for a deeper understanding of how traditions form the basis of societies today and the future.

By Allyson E B

May 29, 2016

The course was very informative. I hope that one day , the educators within the Civil Rights Museum --here in Memphis, TN -- will add this course to their education curriculum. This course is insightful and enjoyable.

By Mikhail A

Mar 11, 2016

Just started this, but in love with all this stories and music.

By Juan V

Nov 10, 2015

Was an hell of a ride! Enjoyed it thoroughly.

By phunguyen

Dec 26, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. Very interesting!

By Gloria F L

Aug 31, 2015

Because I was born and raised in the South, I enjoy courses that expound my knowledge of southern culture. This is an excellent course and I am enjoying Dr. Ferris' lectures. It brings to mind my memories of early childhood experiences (the good and the bad) that have shaped the national and international consciousness. I state that because I lived in Atlanta, GA during the Civil Rights Era and I wear my southern style with pride, no matter where I travel.

By Joao P A

Jun 25, 2018

Excellent!!

By Elizabeth S

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!

Music is part of our history.

By Manfred S

Oct 03, 2015

This were some amazing and enjoyable weeks to learn so ,much about stories and music of the South. Thank you very much and in particular for the fotos and the audio and video recordings.

By Danielle C

Nov 01, 2017

I am so glad that I was able to participate in this class. It was so very enjoyable and informative.

By Tim R

May 01, 2018

Fantastic!

By Deniz N E B T

Dec 16, 2015

So much fun! Very inter

By Lynn D

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. The lecturer has a style that keeps you interested. The content was very interesting.

By Tony A

Dec 07, 2015

Great course, lots of fun and some great music and culture.

By Lynette O

Nov 01, 2015

This was a wonderful class! A great intro to the culture of the south.

By KaLani S

Sep 30, 2015

Amazing and fascinating course. The instructor is a treasure to find. I feel blessed to have stumbled upon this course with an instructor with such a rich history and knowledge of the South. I recommend to any and everyone who loves history and folklore alike. I wish there were a way to down load the videos. This is a great archive of quite possibly my own ancestry. I absolutely loved this course.

By Lily

Oct 29, 2017

very helpful an introduction! Making me really wanna know more about the South. Love the Story-telling oral tradition of South!

By Cintya P I

Jul 12, 2019

This course has it all. If you love art, music, writing and the American South, it's all here. I loved this course and continue to be fascinated by the history of the South. If anything this course gives you a foundation for your love to grow with a new perspective.

By Sue J D

Feb 19, 2019

I watched many of the videos. It was very interesting. I particularly liked the stories/video clips of musicians. I do hope you have seen The Song Catcher..this reminded me of it.

By José D

Aug 14, 2015

I took this course with a special interest on the musical aspect, namely the blues, of course. In that regard the course is very superficial, but has some interesting stuff even so. The other aspects of literature, painting, and the more popular arts (kilts, oral traditions, etc.) where a nice surprise. This course gives a view of a cultural aspect of America that is very interesting and mostly unknown, particularly, I guess, to a non American. I advise this course to anyone who is interested in ethnology, folklore and popular art and music and is not already familiarized with the American South.

By Yushan S

Sep 08, 2015

A good course for anyone who want to know more about the American South, but a little boring~

By Dorothy H

Nov 24, 2017

Good course with lots of educator's personal experience and footage.

By Arturo T S

Mar 24, 2016

Es una muy buena introducción al estudio de la cultura del sur de los Estados Unidos y al mismo tiempo un panorama para buscar más información sobre ciertos temas como el blues, las tradiciones orales, la religión, la vida cotidiana y los grandes creadores de la literatura y la música inmersos en la tradición del sur estadounidense.

By Bernardo F B E

Sep 06, 2015

This course is complete and does offer very good information on the music, stories, and art of the American South. I really enjoyed the blues music information presented to students.