Back to The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art by The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

4.4

From small farms to urban neighborhoods, from the region itself to the more distant worlds of the southern diaspora, we discover the stories, music, and art of the American South....

ES

Aug 14, 2015

One of the greatest courses I ever followed!\n\nInteresting, documentary, not even one minute boring, very well organized and easy to follow.\n\nMusic is part of our history.

CC

Aug 26, 2015

Bill Ferris is a wealth of knowledge and experience - I only regret missing out on the classroom dynamic of a Ferris-led discussion of Southern arts, particularly the Blues.

51 - 72 of 72 Reviews for The American South: Its Stories, Music, and Art

By Arturo T S

Mar 24, 2016

Es una muy buena introducción al estudio de la cultura del sur de los Estados Unidos y al mismo tiempo un panorama para buscar más información sobre ciertos temas como el blues, las tradiciones orales, la religión, la vida cotidiana y los grandes creadores de la literatura y la música inmersos en la tradición del sur estadounidense.

By Sue J D

Feb 19, 2019

I watched many of the videos. It was very interesting. I particularly liked the stories/video clips of musicians. I do hope you have seen The Song Catcher..this reminded me of it.

By Bernardo F B E

Sep 06, 2015

This course is complete and does offer very good information on the music, stories, and art of the American South. I really enjoyed the blues music information presented to students.

By Echo W

Sep 24, 2015

interesting, the photos, the film and voice records really bring us back to the time in the past, which also help me know what the real south is.

By Ena X

Nov 11, 2015

It's a great course with a lot of background on Blues music. Tho I wish there were more music pieces to listen as examples.

By Donna S

Feb 17, 2017

Great Material. Quizes and discussions didn't work, But i was only auditing the course. There is a wealth of information.

By Yushan S

Sep 08, 2015

A good course for anyone who want to know more about the American South, but a little boring~

By Coral Y

Jan 23, 2016

rich and engaging documentaries took 80% of the class content - but still fun to watch!

By Allison B

Nov 06, 2015

Great course with a different perspective on history&people. Fun and simple.

By Thanh T D

Aug 22, 2015

Interesting course covering various aspects of the south americans culture.

By Dorothy H

Nov 24, 2017

Good course with lots of educator's personal experience and footage.

By Amy S

Sep 13, 2015

Great reflections on some wonderful oral history research.

By Rebecka J

Aug 22, 2015

Really good course. Happy I had a chance to take it :)

By Andrés S

Nov 11, 2015

Faltó entrar un poco más en detalle.

By Stéphane C

Oct 07, 2015

Interesting introduction to the South, Professor Ferris tries to be as exhaustive as the format allows however the exhaustivity leads to a sense of barely skimming the surface over too many topics. I would have preferred a little less and a few more in depth analysis.

Impressive archives collection, definitely a plus of this course.

By Sherry C

Feb 13, 2016

The best part of this course was, of course, the videos. But it just scratched the surface. I would have been happy to have a whole unit on Eudora Welty or B B King or the Chitlen Circuit. Each and every one of the films was priceless. But the course didn't fully exploit the possibilities of the web and I felt it was very static.

By Victoria G

Oct 19, 2015

This was a really good course. I was mostly interested in the music and related culture, but I will be interested to read some of the books that were discussed. Thanks!

By Meghann M

Nov 01, 2015

Too reliant on materials directly collected by professor, too little context of larger artistic community.

By Celeste G

Sep 15, 2015

Examples are good. Lecturer could be more interesting

By Joan E F

Sep 01, 2015

This course would work better if the material wasn

By Reuben B

Aug 15, 2015

It was interesting to a point, but there was no application of the knowledge gained. It was merely a regurgitation of facts.

By Emma