Back to Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management by University of Virginia

Projects are all around us. Virtually every organization runs projects, either formally or informally. We are engaged in projects at home and at work. Across settings, planning principles and execution methodologies can offer ways in which projects can be run more effectively and efficiently. Project management provides organizations (and individuals) with the language and the frameworks for scoping projects, sequencing activities, utilizing resources, and minimizing risks. This is an introductory course on the key concepts of planning and executing projects. We will identify factors that lead to project success, and learn how to plan, analyze, and manage projects. Learners will be exposed to state-of-the-art methodologies and to considering the challenges of various types of projects....

FG
Apr 1, 2020

It helped e to understand the specifications of project management in such ways. It is a really helpful education. I will apply mt earnings to my job and I am sure I will see the difference of my look

TL
Jan 7, 2021

This course satisfied my desire to learn about Project Planning and Management at a high level. Yael's content and delivery meet my needs and I highly recommend this course to anyone involved in R&D.

26 - 50 of 1,567 Reviews for Fundamentals of Project Planning and Management

By Boonyawadee E

Oct 24, 2020

This course gives a very very basic knowledge of project management. They did give me the keywords but the instructor didn't explain it well. I was always struggling to search and to find the definition, the example, the explanation of the terms by myself, thank god we have Google. So it's not that worth it. I mean, why I have to pay for the course if I still have to learn by myself this much. I'm okay to search for the complement resources by myself to fulfill the knowledge but in this course, the instructor actually failed to explain and to teach. It was so so so hard and frustrated learning this course, especially for me, who didn't have any experience or background knowledge in this field before.

Even I got a 100% score but to be honest, I don't think I understand it that much. (maybe the exam is too easy)

So disappointed. I don't recommend this course to anyone, I'm sorry.

By Martin M

Feb 19, 2018

Before i embarked on this course i though project management was a peace of cake... Not that i am threatening people to go for it but giving it the respect it deserves. Projects are around us but how often do we put in efforts to have them planned and executed right. I am very please that the next time i encounter a project whether small or big, Simple or Complex, i will give it my whole and utilize all the tools i have learnt through this course.

Definitely i would not have done this without the tutorship of Yael Grushka-Cockayne

Associate Professor of Business Administration

Darden School of Business

University of Virginia

thanks a lot Yael.

Regards,

Martin K Musozi (Uganda)

By Débora R

Jul 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! As a biologist I planned and managed some small research projects for MSc students without any knowledge of how to do it. Fortunately all projects were successful so I thought it would interesting to learn a little more about project planning and management of bigger projects, as I am considering a career change and making part of a project management team is on the table.

I learnt some very interesting things, and as my boyfriend is involved in a software development project that is not doing as well as expected I was able to identify what went wrong on planning. :)

By Yury K

Oct 12, 2017

Thanks to the whole team who prepared this course and especially to Yael for her professional and vivid presentations and explanations. The course covers basic issues which lie in the basis of any project, and it is done in a simple and well-structured manner. After this course you will have a clear picture of how to start planning your project, how to identify critical tasks, what risks are likely to happen and how to minimize them. This helps to structure all your thoughts and ideas together and start working on your project right away.

By Pruthvi N

Aug 9, 2020

The course is well structured, simplified and is very much to the points. The topics are clearly explained and one can gain lot of insights on project planning. The earned value analysis is very well explained. The tutorials shared on microsoft professional usage for project management is very useful. The quiz questions summarizes the complete learning, its nice way of revisiting the learning. Its agreat course to gain a lot of for Project planning and manamgent

By Richie B

Jun 13, 2021

This course was unexpectedly good. I got the chance to touch on most of the Project Management tools and techniques which I will indeed be using for the rest of my life moving forward. Of course some parts of this course was harder than expected but it challenged me to learn and do research on my own on the side. I am very happy to have took the time to take part in this course and I will definitely recommend it to my colleagues. Thank you.

By FARID

Jan 1, 2021

This is very good course to understand the fundamentals of project planning and management. The instructor explain the concept in a simple way. There are good examples given to understand the course.

By MashaD

Nov 29, 2020

I consider myself a beginner project manager and will apply some of the concepts I've learned here in my future projects. Thank you for interesting lectures and assignments!

By Alexis D G

Dec 17, 2020

I thought the Information was Invaluable, I learned alot and I was really challenged In my critical thinking. I felt the delivery of the videos was very clunky, and the professor did not seem Incredibly confident to me In the Information she was delivering.

By Paulo A

Dec 16, 2015

Exams are not very good - some ambiguous, misleading or wrong-data questions/answers.

By Kristiyan K

Dec 28, 2016

The course provides fundamentals as advertised, but the delivery was not impressive. For example the lecturer's speech interrupts, changing words and thought-flow. Examples given were not well thought-out, for example HR was said to be hard-set because it was "outsourced" which doesn't make sense. Another example would be where the lecturer said that "stand-up meetings" mean no body is allowed to sit down?! Generally, seems to me the course was filmed in a hurry and wasn't delivered good enough for a rating above the basic fundamental two stars.

By Luigi A

Feb 25, 2017

The Quizzes are written in a very tricky way. It's supposed to be a course for beginners.

By Samantha L S

Oct 19, 2020

I thought this course was very well executed. I appreciated the project examples and found the content to be very relatable and relevant. There were key topics and discussions centered around the key fundamentals of project management that I was able to directly apply to my role. I decided to take the course as a complementary learning experience to a Microsoft Project 2019 and Project Management course offered by my local college. I was not disappointed and found that this course particularly aiding me in achieving success in my local classes. Thank you for developing a robust, relevant and applicable course. This was extremely helpful!

By Didimo E G T

Dec 18, 2020

Excellent course all around! I had some previous small scale experience in software project leading and a bit of management. The lessons where thorough and well explained and the quizzes and assignments were also instructive. I particularly liked the introduction to Agile/Scrum/Kanban and see how upper management (those not knowing a thing about software development) is now open to it. My past experience was that upper level managers usually had no understanding of S/W projects and usually forced unrealistic deadlines that looked great on a project plan but were bound to go astray. I highly recommend this course and their instructors.

By Kendall R

Dec 30, 2020

Excellent course overall. Material was presented in a clear and simple manner which mad it easy to understand the key concepts. The testing was also appropriate for knowledge understanding and retention. Delivery was professional in both the slides and video presentation and quality.

I was uncertain coming into the course without any prior PM experience, but quickly realized that there were more aspects of project planning and management that I have done in a practical manner but without the actual PM terminology and methodology. This course provided me with very useful information that I can certainly apply to future endeavors.

By Anh T

Jan 29, 2021

Very well-planned content for fundamentals of project management. It's a good to go for those who would like to systemize their hands-on project management experience without having any prior official qualifications. To deep dive into project management, people can move forward to another in-depth course. This is basic, yet succinct and helpful enough just as the course name suggests. The professor's way of presenting is easy to catch up with. So happy I found this! Thank you so much for offering this knowledge. Super helpful!!

By Sandy F C

Dec 29, 2020

Thanks to the Coursera Program offer online course. I learned so much about Project Planning and M management the concept. How to initiate, define and organize a project, How to develop a project plan, including scoping, sequencing tasks, and determining a critical path, How to assess, prioritize and manage project risk, How to execute projects and use the earned value approach for monitoring and controlling progress. I have gained the skills on Risk Analysis, Project Planning, Planning, Management, Project Management.

By Paula G

Feb 15, 2020

A great entry level course into the world of Project Management. Was a great tool to offer extended awareness into this professional domain and serves as great building blocks if one should chose to specialize in this field. Thank you University of Virginia! I personally took this course to expand my knowledge on a business component to further compliment my degree in finance. And I'm quite glad I chose to do so because I really did enjoy learning something new and being able to grow both personally and professionally.

By Cesare F

Feb 17, 2017

This course is in my opinion an extremely good starting point to approach project management both for professional or simply curious

It is dense enough to give a complete picture of matter on one hand, and require a limited time effort on the oder.

The speacking is so clear, pronunciation lively, never boring or soporific.

Quizzes are affordable, however not banal

I recomend this course to evrybody, even for just general skill

I thank you so much Yael Grushka-Cockayne and hope to encounter her again in other course

By Suki F

Nov 2, 2020

Fabulous course! The course was well organized in easy-to-follow modules that covered key project management concepts. The case studies reinforced the learning effectively. I learned a great deal in a relatively short amount of time. Most importantly, the instructor's enthusiasm for project management and engaging speaking style gave life to a topic that I had feared would be dull. Highly recommended for any business professional who often leads projects but lacks formal training in project management.

By Reyhan D

Feb 14, 2016

Fantastic course, with great videos and materials. Yael is great at communicating the fundamentals via her videos, supplemental materials & case studies (really good examples of theory in practice).

Great for anyone wanting to refresh/solidify their fundamentals in Project Management (for those already with work experience), as well as beginners who are interested in getting a solid foundation. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in understanding the Fundamentals of Project Management.

By Akshay D

This course has been a great learning experience for me. I have been able to understand Project Management concepts thoroughly. Many concepts were new to me since before taking this course my knowledge was limited to Agile which is just one aspect of project management. I would highly recommend this class to someone who is developing a career path in project management. Thank you Prof. Yael Grushka-Cockayne for explaining the concepts in a most simplistic format with real life examples.

By Prashanth M

Dec 15, 2018

The scope of the course was very clear and Yael Grushka-Cockayne is sure of what is required for execution of a project from concept to project. It's been a great course and learnt much about Project management tools as well. I'm working in a Product Development company and I shall recommend this for managers who wanted to gain knowledge about product planning, risk management and project execution. A great thanks to Professor Yael Grushka-Cockayne for making this course.

By Торгунаков Н Ю

Nov 6, 2020

I already had some experience in project management, but this course would still give me the same pleasure, even if I were an absolute beginner. I learned a lot of terms and new tools that I am sure will come in handy in the future.

It was interesting for me to participate in all the tasks on real cases and it is surprising that only a small part of all students completed them. I think it would be even better if at least one of these assignments were peer-reviewed.

By Nkembeteck H N

Aug 25, 2019

I have been involved in planning and managing community projects traditionally with my own ingenuity. The course set the pace for my professionalization. I discovered why I made some catastrophic mistakes. I also discover names to some of the things I use to do but could not scripted. I master the Language of project planning and Management. I am really empowered by the this course. The Course instructor is very experience and teaches very well.

Thanks you all