Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

JN

Nov 21, 2018

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

LC

Oct 19, 2018

This course is a good start for the beginner. I hope everyone in the class enjoyed it as I do. Thanks all of my classmates who have reviewed my peers. I look forward seeing you in the next course.

1 - 25 of 169 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By Vanessa C

Jun 18, 2019

I enjoyed the structure of the course with each week building up to the final project. Logically planned out and effective structure. Videos were clear and easy to understand. I'm happy with what I produced and the class helped me build my confidence to move onto the next course. I was able to complete my project with minimal knowledge of Photoshop.

However, I'm not a huge fan of the 3 peer grades needed to average out our score as it appeared from the comments left that some users misunderstood what and how they should be grading. Requiring a higher amount of grades to even out the average or allowing some grades to be challenged and reviewed by a staff member would be helpful.

By B D

Mar 04, 2019

Peer reviews is the worst. That is the worst idea, how can you allow someone that has no skill decide the outcome of someone else's grade?

By Iñaki C S

Mar 25, 2019

This is a fantastic course for anyone who wants to get started in UX/UI design. The curriculum is well thought, the lessons in the videos are well paced, clear and thorough. Finally, the proposed activities work great as a practice for the concepts learned in the course. Totally recommended!

By Anastasia A

Aug 11, 2019

Pretty good course, I'm more excited for the UX Design one, but this part of the Specialization is quite decent. If you're considering it, go for it. Just try to learn how to use Illustrator a bit beforehand. Sucks that its peer graded- but its straightforward and if you just follow the instructions, you should be fine.

Quick tip: it was not clear what you needed to do for week 2, but its basically ONLY the moodboard and colour palette. I did week 2 and 3 in week 2, and exhausted myself for no reason!

I was skeptical at first but its pretty good!

By Rachael B

Mar 28, 2019

I liked how the course was structured in such a way that even with my limited design skills, I was able to create an interface that looked professional. I credit this to the structure of the course and the journey it takes you on to get to this point.

By Charlotte B

May 05, 2019

I have a degree in Graphic Design so I wanted to expand in UX & UI. This course was a great price, easy to do as quick or as slow passed as I needed.

By Rajitha G

Jun 13, 2019

This is a great kick starter course to understand the basics and really change your perspective of UI and UX. Explained in detail with great simplicity, I loved it- note taking is also made easy!

My feedback is on the assignments:The difficulty I faced was i did not know how to use Indesign (this should have been a pre-requisite)- so after my first week assignment i put in some extra hours to learn InD basics to do my second assignment- that changed the quality of my work. Second - Assignment 1 was creating mood board but the sample had full project, so I as well as couple of our batch folks (I reviewed) ended up creating whole project first week - Should have given clear instructions - That would helped us focus on Week1 work. From Week2 what do work on was very clear. Please fix this for next batch

By Karolina T

Feb 24, 2019

The content is really good.

The peer-scoring doesn't work really good though. It happened that the same work got scores varying from 1 to 3 points (in the scale of 4). The comments were not always adequate, e.g. pointing the lack of elements that were not expected to be included in the submission, calculating incorrectly the amount of pictures included. It would be interesting to know if it's controlled and standardize in any way.

By Rafaela R

Jul 12, 2019

Really for people who doesn't have any knowledge about design and user experience.

By Goce P

Jan 18, 2019

great stuff

By Alena A

Jan 30, 2019

This course is really important, I understood some things. Presentations were very clear and interest, also their submission.

By Chris R

Jan 30, 2019

Practical, encouraging and realistic course where the teacher expects initiative from the student. I can highly recommend this course.

By Carlos G G

Feb 03, 2019

Even if he were not a graphic designer it would be a material of rapid learning.

By Jeffrey S

Jan 23, 2019

Great intro

By Bhavana T

Dec 31, 2018

Great course, which goes about explaining everything from the scratch to increasing higher levels.

By Igor g

Dec 17, 2018

Love it!

By PAULO C

Jan 07, 2019

It is being amazing to be part of this course. The classes are very structured and the content is very clear.

By Nikolas-Minas S

Jan 08, 2019

Very interesting and engaging course!

By Oloko A

Jan 10, 2019

It was perfect, the Tutor took his time, and the assignments made it really interactive, it was worth it!

By Dehsen

Feb 21, 2019

great introduction into UI design. I have implemented some of the methodologies here, and it has really sped up my creative process

By Haijing Q

Feb 21, 2019

Key UI design principles taught in plain English that was easy to follow as absorb. Projects were also fun to design as well.

By Lase A

Feb 25, 2019

For a beginner, I was able to really understand the basics and apply them practically. A very intresting and practical course. I enjoyed every but of it.

By ASKARALI T

Feb 15, 2019

That was a awesome experience!!.. Thanks to Coursera and CalArts , for giving me this opportunity. I am so excited to continue this course.

By A

Feb 14, 2019

This is a wonderful class. Excellent instruction and very constructive and supportive feedback from those rating the assignments. I have really been able to challenge myself further, and learn new aspects of the programs I'm using by working to improve assignments based on the feedback. Great community of fellow students taking this course.

By Beatriz

Feb 27, 2019

Loved the content, Specially the readings that involved so much information and the step by step guidance to design an engaging and well structured interface.