Back to Introduction to Financial Accounting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Financial Accounting by University of Pennsylvania

Master the technical skills needed to analyze financial statements and disclosures for use in financial analysis, and learn how accounting standards and managerial incentives affect the financial reporting process. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to read the three most common financial statements: the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows. Then you can apply these skills to a real-world business challenge as part of the Wharton Business Foundations Specialization....

EY

Sep 20, 2019

The course is very easy to understand, and most importantly it is fun to learn accounting! I find this course covers basic yet comprehensive contents compared to other basic accounting online courses.

MM

Feb 04, 2016

I took Brian Bushee's course and found him to be one of the BEST INSTRUCTORS I'VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. If you've had trouble with accounting courses in the past, HE IS THE INSTRUCTOR FOR YOU!!!

51 - 75 of 1,500 Reviews for Introduction to Financial Accounting

By Francesca M

Feb 09, 2019

I've only done week 1 of this course, and even though it is said to be for beginners, I would argue and say that it is not designed for beginners. Beginner courses should be designed to teach a student the basics of a subject, and for week 1 there are too many concepts thrown into the lesson plan and there's no way someone who is just learning this will be able to successfully complete the quiz, and the course. The design of Introduction to Marketing was great, the entire course taught you the basics of what you'd expect in Marketing, and it didn't overload you with concepts.

Expecting a student to get an 80% or above on the quizzes when they are just learning accounting is ridiculous. Also, when reviewing the quiz to see what answers you got wrong, all of the questions should provide you with the correct answer so you can at least see what you did wrong.

Overall, this is not a course that is designed very well for beginners, rather this course would discourage beginners from even pursuing a career path in accounting.

By Al-Khatab N A

Jun 09, 2020

too difficult to follow up with him

maybe it's the topic that is very different for me

but his way of teaching is also weird

By Mauricio R

Aug 13, 2017

The teacher is the worst fucking teacher I found on this fucking website so fucking far, please delete his shit!

By Claudia C

Jun 11, 2020

I prefer more interactive courses, with some exercises. I find it quite boring and not immediate to understand

By Ratish K

Jun 09, 2020

Too complicated and too many terms, best for intermediate level and not beginners

By sarath c

Jun 19, 2020

full of bugs in the tests ,and not allowing us to pass the tests

By Navdeep S

Jul 07, 2020

This is an excellent introductory course to Financial Accounting. However, it is fast paced, and the professor will throw curveballs at you every now and then, which means this course is not for the faint of heart. I also found the wording of certain questions to be a bit vague and confusing, so I had to resort to other learning resources to comprehend what was being asked. And the animations can be a hit or miss, but I think the ones that asked questions or asked for more elaborating were spot on. Prof. Bushee does seem to know where students might struggle and doesn't shy away from elucidating complex topics.

All things considered, I feel this was an immensely rewarding and intellectually challenging course. The final exams tied together the subject matter of every module beautifully, and now I feel I have a really solid grounding if I want to pursue more advanced courses in accounting.

I would recommend this course to everyone who wants to learn about accounting and/or start a career in finance. For those who have had no prior exposure to accounting, this course may seem a bit daunting at first. But fret not. An immense amount of resources is available online, completely free of cost, which you could refer to in order to better comprehend the concepts. If you stick with it, I can assure you that you will find this course worth your time and effort. I found it very rewarding, and I hope so do you!

By Yanshen S

Apr 25, 2020

I really like this course. My main purpose to learn accounting is to better understanding financial statements of public companies so that I can invest in stock better. Before this course, I only have rough understanding of accounting, but not knowing much on the relationships and changes between different items. Professor Bushee made this topic self-contained and very easy to understand. He instructed this course both intensively and extensively, with numerous examples to help us memorize concepts (well I personally think that remembering examples is the best way to remember new concepts, that's how human learn though).

I specially like his virtual students. I can imagine that Professor Bushee took a lot of efforts to make these funny animations, e.g. students have different nationalities, accents (I like that French student's accent haha) and characteristics (some students are cautious when asking questions, while some are "prudent"). I also liked the scene that all students fell asleep, that they quit class for coffee, and that they quit the last class for preparing final exams). Nevertheless, I found the questions by these virtual students very insightful and close to what I have in mind! This again proves Professor Bushee took much time to understand students' common questions throughout his career and put them on the screen for us!

By Rina C M G

Sep 02, 2018

Professor Brian Bushee made learning financial accounting very enjoyable! Not only was his lecture videos informative (of course), he finds ways of injecting humor in his lectures to stir away from the boring subjects and very serious matters. His lecture notes files are also named in a very organized way that corresponds to the week that they were taken up in so back referencing during exam reviews would be a breeze. He also made a point of including A LOT of examples and examples after examples that covers about everything in the course so the student will not be surprised during exams of items that were not taken up. I just wish the virtual students could have better audio and accent in terms of delivering the statements but this was well compensated in the speech bubbles that come with the appearance of the virtual student. Over all, these helped in my understanding of the concepts better. This course is highly recommended to everyone. I am an engineer by profession and I used to fear accounting subjects prior to my finishing the degree. But taking up this course made that fear go away.

By William H

Aug 12, 2016

Professor Brian Bushee is a wonderful teacher. He makes Financial Accounting interesting by illustrating how it can be practically applied in real life scenarios. There are many examples so that you don't have to conceptualize everything and the material is more comprehensible. He makes it entertaining by introducing virtual students that ask him questions that real students would ask and a few that i hadn't thought to ask but provide beneficial information.

There is a lot of material. It is quite complex. Financial Accounting is a mix of rules, intuition, terms that must be learned, very particular processes, and last but not least, some math. This isn't for the faint of heart. That said, I found it interesting and learned more than I had planned on. I may take the follow up course as well. I can't imagine learning this material from a typical instructor. I wouldn't enjoy it and i wouldn't be able to take as much from it. Superior course. Apologies for any typos.

By D. T W

Feb 13, 2020

The professor provided a wonderful course. He took a subject that seems scary and made it enjoyable and fun. I thought his jokes, and the use of his virtual students, were an unexpected element that I actually enjoyed more and more throughout the class. For the virtual students, their use of valid questions I may/may not have thought of were great as well as sometimes just saying slow down and repeat. This shows the professor's excellence over his subject AND teaching it.

The material was presented logically and in bite-sized pieces that were easier for a non-business person to understand and retain. The two running examples, Relic Spotter and 3M, were great to synthesize all of the information that had been learned in the current and previous week(s).

While I will definitely have to go through the materials again to cement them into my head, I have learned a lot from this course and thoroughly enjoyed it!

By Manoliakis P

Nov 08, 2015

This course is presented in a surprising comprehensive way that will let you understand the basic functions of accounting. It will help you build the concrete foundations that will enable you to make sense of more complicated concepts as you progress in your career. Professor Brian Bushee is in my opinion a gifted tutor since he possesses the ability to transfer his knowledge in a simple interesting and comprehensive way that will let you understand the logic behind the accounting principles and the way of thinking without requiring from you any related background. He helped me expand my horizons and actually find a job in the accounting sector but most of all he made me understand and form my way of thinking around accounting in a robust and confident way. I give my thanks and gratitude to the maestro of Debits and Credits and I hope he will help you in the same way and even more.

By Anto C

Apr 19, 2020

I'm convinced Professor Bouchee is the A in Accounting. His ability to clearly communicate and engage me in this class was of pleasant surprise. I used to consider Accounting to be a daunting (and quite honestly, tedious) subject. Turns out it is a very valuable and essential tool in tracking and analyzing the overall operation and financial health of a business. I could not have come to this realization and intuitive feel for the subject if it wasn't for the professors' impressive teaching ability.

I would like to note his usage of '"virtual students" to bring in important questions and different perspectives to the concepts at hand. Many times, their interjections and the arguments generated from them were a big help when trying to understand these such concepts.

Overall, the course is top notch, will definitely recommend it.

By Maprang

Jul 18, 2020

I have no prior experience in Accounting, yet I did not expect to learn so much from this course given that it's merely an introductory course but how wrong I was! Accounting is essentially a very dry subject but so important in doing and understanding business operations. Prof. Bushee did a really great job at making Accounting as fun as it can be with the help of the virtual students which I find not annoying at all. I learned so much from just this one course than I learned from another Maths Specialization (ahem not gonna say which one). I like Prof. Bushee so much that I will take his other courses on Coursera. For those of you who need to know Accounting for some reasons (personally, I wanna invest in stock market), just enroll in this course it's really worth it!

By Ahmad R D

Mar 09, 2016

I found this course as addictive of studying with all its facility materials

I pray and hope a better life for Professor, Brian J Bushee. and wish he could cooperate thousands of knowledge seeker those who(m) are unable to pay for studying in university in Financial Accounting course as students from Afghanistan, or Africa, Middle east and other countries who(m) are eligible to improve their knowledge in Financial Accounting term.

once again I appreciate President (Chancellor), Professors and all members of Wharton University of Pennsylvania that they really facilitate this course for all people around the world and specially for me where I will find my prospective job by studying most of lessons.

Sincerely,

Ahmad Reshad Darwishy

By José M A O

Mar 24, 2020

Having near to zero knowledge about accounting this was a great introductory course for me. In other "introductory" accounting courses, I find often times lecturers forget the lack of literacy of students, and basically throw everything at you, which makes things a lot harder.

That is where this course stands out. The professor really takes his time to break down and explain concepts while providing many examples. The virtual students are a great idea! I did find them useful to reinforce imporant aspects while bringing a bit of humor to the class.

Now be prepared to invest some time into this, I found workload of week 3 especially big!

In summary, great course for beginners. I look forward to take other courses from this professor.

By Ketevan T

May 15, 2020

I’ve just completed this course and have to say I have learned a lot! The professor Brian Bushee is very good, meaning that he explains everything in details and an easy understandable language. Which is very important when you learn something like financial accounting and financial statements and most challenging in a language which is not your first language. Course is very interesting and informative. P.S. before starting course I’ve read most asked questions and one of them was about virtual students, but I have to say I did enjoy going through this course with them :) learning accounting something could get boring, but they definitely brought some fun and most importantly asked questions I wanted to ask!

By Danielle F

Feb 16, 2016

Excellent introduction! Professor Bushee is clear, organized, and best of all goofy. A high-quality course right down to the formatting of the slide and video presentations. Plus, it covered exactly what I was looking for – starting with basic journal entries on the general ledger (including adjusting and closing entries) and then building into the foundations of some key financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statement) and ratio analysis thereof. And the price is right! Free to audit (including graded assignments) and only $95 for the certificate (which not everyone will need, but it's still a huge bargain considering the cost of university per unit). A+!

By Swati S

Jun 11, 2019

When I started with the course, It took me some time to adjust to the style the course was delivered. I thought it might get boring, especially since I am completely from a non-finance background. But as I made progress with the course, I must say, Professor Brian has really done a great job, explaining the details of the concepts. I really liked the detailed case study analysis. It was lot of information, a very fast tracked course, but since we can always revisit the videos, they can give one a very good start. Thanks to the virtual class room, they are an acquired taste, towards the end of the course I got used to them, and missed their interesting questions. Thank you Prof. Brian.

By shivram s

Aug 27, 2020

Prof. Brian J Bushee has created an excellent course that is very interesting, entertaining not to mention you learn a lot within a few weeks of your time.

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn or brush up their understanding of the fundamental principles of financial accounting.

Thanks for your self deprecating humor- it put us at ease. I felt as if I am sitting in your class, listening to your course live. I can't wait for your follow up course to attend.

In addition to being a great teacher with the mastery of the subject, Prof. Brian Bushee can be a full-time creator of a highly successful animation show packed with a great sense of humor.

Go Blue.

Shivram

By Alessio P

Jan 21, 2018

Very complete and in depth course for a beginner. Lots of info and material for future reference. Very clear lectures. I had started the same kind of course on another platform were the way the subject was taught was completely different, I found it hard and for other reasons decided to enroll in this one, which in comparison is way more linear and logic in the way it introduces the topics.

Only one suggestion to make the course a bit easier to understand, would be to use a bit of flow charts to better visualize some concepts. But that's only because some people may be more comfortable memorizing images.

Great work, terrific value for money!

By Christopher P

Apr 07, 2020

Excellent course. I found it quite challenging and learned a huge amount. The course was well structured and extremely well prepared for this online learning format. The instructor did an outstanding job of presenting the material systematically and patiently, with lots (tons!) of examples. He definitely understands the persistence required to understand the subject and teaches the course the same way one must learn a language, a comparison he made from the beginning. The virtual students were fun and loved the quirky humour and forehead-slapping puns. Professor Buschee, I take my hat off to you, sir!

By Olesia A

Apr 21, 2018

This course will introduce you to accounting in the efficient and smooth way. Most importantly, the professor really knows how to teach it! We all know that accounting is boring and many of us are struggling to get even the basics. However, if you stay tuned throughout the course you will see that the professor is doing exceptional work while introducing Cash Flow Statement (which is the most challenging part of financial accounting to many newbeies). I highly recommend the course to those who just started studying Accounting OR who wants to review the basics before landing a new job or internship.

By Diane Z

Jul 10, 2020

I am a rising high school junior who just completed this course during the summer. I am highly interested in business, so this course was relatively fun for me. Professor Bushee's lessons were easy to understand, straightforward, and very get-to-the-point, which I enjoyed. Personally, this course was a bit of a challenge. Since it is a college-level course, some of the topics were harder for me to understand and get a hold of. But overall, I think that as long as one tries to understand the lectures and memorizes the important equations, the course is great. I greatly enjoyed this course!

By Leonardo P

Oct 02, 2016

By means of this course, I got to understand the most fundamentals concepts of financial accounting. Professor Brian is very good at explaining this concepts, with a very entertaining way of teaching. I needed to go back to classes to take and retake the tests, so it shows that you must comprehend the concepts in order to pass the Tests. I would recommend this course to anyone that wants to learn about accouting. For my case, which is related to process to becoming an investment banker, this course was a great foundation, and the stepping stone into the other courses offered by coursera.