Back to Business Analytics Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business Analytics Capstone by University of Pennsylvania

4.4

The Business Analytics Capstone Project gives you the opportunity to apply what you've learned about how to make data-driven decisions to a real business challenge faced by global technology companies like Yahoo, Google, and Facebook. At the end of this Capstone, you'll be able to ask the right questions of the data, and know how to use data effectively to address business challenges of your own. You’ll understand how cutting-edge businesses use data to optimize marketing, maximize revenue, make operations efficient, and make hiring and management decisions so that you can apply these strategies to your own company or business. Designed with Yahoo to give you invaluable experience in evaluating and creating data-driven decisions, the Business Analytics Capstone Project provides the chance for you to devise a plan of action for optimizing data itself to provide key insights and analysis, and to describe the interaction between key financial and non-financial indicators. Once you complete your analysis, you'll be better prepared to make better data-driven business decisions of your own....

CJ

Jan 26, 2017

I took this together with 4 other modules in the Business Analytics Specialisation. I like the case study in which I am able to apply what I learn to real world issues.

JA

Sep 25, 2016

Great course! Very well structured and easy to follow. Videos always went into the subject matter in depth and explained the core concepts.

76 - 86 of 86 Reviews for Business Analytics Capstone

By Jason G

Sep 25, 2017

Lots of the instructions and expectations were not clear.

By Rami S

Aug 06, 2016

good closing course but peer reviewing and no prof is little untraditional.

By Morten B

May 19, 2016

Good to be able to apply the lessons from the individual courses in one, single project, but I missed having actual teachers to review my work as well

By Frederic L

May 19, 2016

I was disappointed by the Capstone. I expected we would get some data set we would use to apply the analytics skills we learned. Instead we got an "open-ended" problem description with few if any input on Yahoo's operations. The only data available was public data (e.g. annual report, executive interviews, etc.).

By Ria C

Oct 26, 2016

The whole course is nice and there were lot of new things to learn. I am not from an IT background but still found it very useful. However the capstone was a bit of disappointment. I believe they should have included some teaching authority to check the Capstone projects for my better understanding. The whole capstone is reviewed by peers which is great but as per certification I believe there should be some professional help too. I even tried to speak to someone over the phone but there was no number available. I ended up with chatting with some one on the help center but that was not very helpful either. The course content for operation analytics and People Analytics were indeed very useful. Thanks.

By Matthew S

Apr 02, 2017

I enjoyed the other courses in this specialization, but the capstone was disappointing. The course was not very structured and did not draw from the other courses in a substantial way. It was often difficult to see how the readings related to the projects. The course could use a lot more curation and direction.

By Michael D

Aug 05, 2016

This course was terribly underwhelming. There is no interaction from the Wharton staff, nothing that connects this to anything learned in the specialization, and nothing that even resembles a case study. Grades are subjectively assigned on a very narrow grading scale by peers and the format of the assignment doesn't allow for enough explanation to develop a thesis. of Any information given to the student is from magazine/newspaper/journal articles without data and we are tasked with identifying a business solution to a problem with little context. Very disappointed in this offering. After taking the Data Analysis specialization offered through Duke University I know what a capstone course should be and this course is so far from that it should be removed from the course catalog.

By Robert B

May 10, 2016

From my perspective, the individual courses that made up the "Capstone" (people, customer, accounting, and operations analytics) were both educative and interactive. These individual courses contained data focused problems and gave a general overview of the specific field.

However, the final "Capstone" project was entirely disappointing and something I even plan to complain to Coursera about. After having a two month delay, the course not only lacked any direction, but seemed to be put together last minute without any real thought or plan. The entire "Capstone" was driven by hypotheticals, almost all of which did not have any relevance to the past four courses. An educated individual could easily complete this "Capstone", without any knowledge whatsoever from the previous four courses. The "Capstone" provided a few articles and videos related to the issue (Yahoo Ad Blocker) to help us solve the problem, but clearly the course heavily lacked content. I was expecting the course to contain hypothetical data for us to interact with and predict how the Ad blocker problem and our proposed solutions would drive the data of Yahoo's business. However, the course merely was driven by complete hypotheticals that only required one to be educated about general business functions. This "Capstone" hardly related to the previous four courses, and it is a scam that this course cost $99.

By Jonathan Z

May 17, 2016

Provided nothing of value or relevance to the previous courses. Additionally there was essentially no input from Wharton instructors.

By Salvador N

Aug 10, 2016

The preceding courses were interesting and helpful. This capstone project lacked substance. The project did not allow itself to apply many of the concepts learned throughout the course. It's almost exclusively about customer analytics. I would not be surprised if Yahoo! worked with Wharton and Coursera to launch this course in order to crowd-source ideas on how to turn around the company.

By Jeffrey H

Aug 20, 2016

As others have said, the first four courses were good - I learned a lot from the videos and materials. However, the capstone project was a waste of time. Why a company failing in its industry was chosen as the focus is beyond me. In addition, the concepts learned in the previous four courses were only about 1/3 of the requirements of this capstone project - the problem statement and strategy portions could have been done without having taken the four previous courses at all. This seemed like a very generic project with almost no collaboration between the professors who taught the previous four courses. I expected a lot more from a Wharton-led course - very disappointing.