Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science, University of California San Diego

4.4

About this Course

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

By AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

By JV

Oct 16, 2017

I really liked this course, it's a good introduction to mathematical thinking, with plenty of examples and exercises, I also liked the use of other external graphical tools as exercises.

91 Reviews

By jonathan cunningham

Apr 19, 2019

I stuck with this course for 4 weeks however i share the opinion of a few people on here...the course is very poorly explained.

The course requires basic maths and basic python however i feel it is asking a little more than that especially when it comes to programming the mathematical concepts the presenter discusses. Very little programming guidance is provided and no explanation is provided on the solution.

I feel there is better courses out there...and the course requirements are a little misleading

By Het Patel

Apr 17, 2019

Best

By Adnan Mahmood

Apr 16, 2019

The course encourage you to start thinking, it's easy but can be first step towards thinking. :)

By Cynthia McGinnis

Apr 13, 2019

This took a lot of thinking! Some parts are easier than others. I'm a mathematician and am use to being stuck on problems and having to think them through. I also believe that if you're going to be a computer scientist, you need to learn to deal with not getting an answer correct the first time or even the 10th time.

By Anton Malmygin

Apr 04, 2019

Great course with variety of different mathematical puzzles.

Two things can be improved:

1) It's not always obvious which global subject is discussed during the week and what is a connection with puzzles, some kind of review video at start of each week will be helpful.

2) Sometimes explanations not clear at all. I did watched some videos 2-3 times before completely understand what is going on. It will be great to have a rigours proof of theorems as supplementary reading material.

By Aneesh Deshmukh

Mar 26, 2019

By Md. Habib Hasan Shakil Buya

Mar 15, 2019

Best course for start off.......

By Lee Chian Yee

Mar 06, 2019

course is poorly explained. such a bad course.

By Amritya Vaibhav Dembla

Feb 12, 2019

very very fun way to understand simple things

By Gourav Chatterjee