Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science, University of California San Diego

About this Course

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

By JV

Oct 16, 2017

I really liked this course, it's a good introduction to mathematical thinking, with plenty of examples and exercises, I also liked the use of other external graphical tools as exercises.

By KL

Nov 29, 2018

The course is excellent and most stuff is being taught in a nicely presented way. The main disappointment is 15-puzzle, because it's too difficult to understand without proper material.

69 Reviews

By Mohamed Al Jalanji

Dec 08, 2018

It's a very stimulating course, though not caring for students much. The material sometimes should elaborate more on concepts, say in week 6, it should've been clearer to student what are permutations in a clearer sense.

By Thomas J. Haslam

Nov 29, 2018

More like logical puzzles that get solved with basic math than your typical high school classes in algebra or calculus. Definitely wakes up your brain. If like myself you've not been doing serious math for a while, a good way to reactive the required neural circuits.

By kirill leonov

By Nyam-Ochir Bold

Nov 08, 2018

Nice course little python programming and very good resources. clear teaching and explanation for theories and it's proofs

By Vijay Ram

Nov 05, 2018

What a waste of time.

By Praveen Kumar Rana

Oct 19, 2018

The course is structured well but we need more explanation for the last week lecture. And more topics inside logic section. The assignment had really helped me in understanding the course.

By Miguel Diaz

Oct 03, 2018

Perfect!

By Eddy Pan

Sep 23, 2018

There are many very interesting cases in this course! I will definitely recommend it to others!

By Eduardo Zavala

Sep 18, 2018

The course is well structured, and made interesting with interactive puzzles.

By Daniyar Zhadyrassyn

Sep 15, 2018

Nice course! I want to say thanks to teachers. Course was informative and new for me!