Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

51 - 75 of 153 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Aditya P

Jun 23, 2019

Awesome course.....helping me too much as I don't want to leave learning maths .It's my favourite subject.Thanks a lot to all of them who are providing these to us.

By Md H R

Mar 31, 2020

BRILLIANT. BRILLIANT.

I had never thought Math could be taught like this.

Thank you teachers. Now looking forward to the second course of this specialisation.

By Chris L

May 25, 2018

It's good, wish it didn't rely so heavily on python for the coding assignments, but now is as good a time as any to get comfortable with it I guess.

By Avinash K C

Jul 13, 2019

Excellent Course! The explanation of basic mathematical concepts was very helpful in understanding Software Engineering principles.

By Animesh S

Apr 04, 2020

A really fun experience. I would recommend this course to all beginners in the field of computer science and data science.

By N B

Nov 08, 2018

Nice course little python programming and very good resources. clear teaching and explanation for theories and it's proofs

By Mohammed R

Apr 30, 2019

Absloutely Fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn data structures and algorithms thoroughly.

By Saikat M

Jan 02, 2018

Enjoyable and interesting...also easy to follow for people like me who have been out of college long time back.

By Ernest D

Jan 05, 2019

this is a very nice course ,its has broaden my whole knowledge about maths

thanks to the creator of this course

By HAILEMICHAEL Y M

Oct 12, 2019

The course is very good at equipping the basic math concepts for computer science. I highly recommend it!

By Ashish D S

Jul 11, 2018

This is excellent course. Make sure that you have basic knowledge of Python before taking this course.

By Arka M

Jul 10, 2018

Great and Interesting course. Last week is a the best. Thank you for letting me have this experience

By Swarnava S

Jun 13, 2019

Awesome course for beginners. It helped me alot to understand the logic and how to solve problems.

By Sanjay A

Sep 18, 2017

I was waiting for such a great course on discrete Mathematics in coursera.

By Dmytro N

Oct 05, 2017

I like the course. Still some mistakes and bugs, but course is really interesting to pass. Thanks

By Putcha L N R

Jul 09, 2019

An amazing course really!! The interactive fun assignments make it all the more interesting!! :D

By Eddy P

Sep 23, 2018

There are many very interesting cases in this course! I will definitely recommend it to others!

By Andrew M

Oct 26, 2017

A great introductory course and well organized. You can feel that professor loves mathematics.

By Rafael D d L P

Aug 02, 2018

Great introduction to mathematical thinking and how to apply it to computational problems.

By KUMAR A

Jan 24, 2020

This was the one-stop that I'll never regret learning things again in a different manner.

By Mahavishnu R

Sep 07, 2019

Puzzles are great. Seems Instructors put lots of efforts into it. Different approach !

By Daniyar Z

Sep 15, 2018

Nice course! I want to say thanks to teachers. Course was informative and new for me!

By Sandesh C

Jul 19, 2018

Excellent concepts! Had fun and was challenged decently throughout the whole course.

By Matthew M

Dec 27, 2017

This is an excellent introduction for anybody needing a foundation for higher math

By Rex K

Jun 18, 2018

I really like the appearance of the professor. He looks like my dad, seriously.