Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

126 - 150 of 156 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Jesse A C

May 18, 2019

Solid course. Lectures were sometimes jumbled and hard to understand, but overall it was well put-together.

By Sriram R

Mar 24, 2018

Simple explanations made math more easy to handle. Thanks to the prof's for timely responses in Forums.

By Adnan M

Apr 16, 2019

The course encourage you to start thinking, it's easy but can be first step towards thinking. :)

By yousef i o

Apr 05, 2020

There is Somethings that I found hard to understand during the explanations of some hard topics

By Joseph A D

Dec 24, 2017

I enjoyed the course. I would like more depth or more clear explanations from A Shen.

By SWARNAPRATIM M

Oct 24, 2017

Good course.Great puzzles.A big thank you to the instructors.Thank you once again.

By Yufan Z

Jul 19, 2018

Some explanations might be a little confused for me. But this is a good course!

By Aren T

Nov 20, 2019

An excellent warm-up course to the world of discrete mathematics.

By arsalan k

Dec 27, 2018

The audio feels "too mechanical" sometimes

By Alberto B

Oct 23, 2019

Good concepts to know and nice examples

By Amer A

Feb 02, 2019

very good

By Nguyen K T

Jun 27, 2019

good

By Sebastian M

Mar 29, 2020

I definitely learned a thing or two about types of proofs, but this class could have been constructed much better. The biggest flaw was that even after going through the entire course, the professors only rarely connected the material to computer science, despite the course being called "Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science". I appreciate their approach of "solve puzzle" -> "learn about relevant proof to be able more efficiently solve similar puzzles" but the course would be better if they tied each concept into computer science / algorithms etc at the end of each section. Beyond that, there are some general course construction issues. The professors often make mistakes in the videos, but rather than actually fix the videos, they just put a comment screen over the video pointing out the error. Speaking of the comment screens, they often ask questions relevant to the lecture, but they cover the whole screen and you can't actually see the content they are asking about, so you have to skip the question, go back, and then let the comment screen appear again before you can reasonably attempt to answer the question; this is an annoying process. To improve this, the content needed to answer each question should be shown within the comment screen itself.

By Steven W

Dec 03, 2017

This course is pretty great. You get to play with puzzles thats always fun. I think the course could use some refinement. The material feels a little unfocused. What I'd like is for the course to be focused on induction fundamentally. As a learner I want to be introduced to the concept of induction, build skills in applying induction and, develop intuition in reasoning about induction. The course ends up being a sampler for the rest of the courses in the series and, I think it's worse off because that.

By Dimitry K

Feb 19, 2020

Material is good, but some of the explanations were very clunky and hard to comprehend. Really missed some smoother connections from topic to topic. The quality of explanations are very uneven between the lecturers. Some were excellent, while others - not so much.

Still, I enjoyed the course, and it was a good introduction to mathematical thinking, as the creators intended, I hope.

By Mohamed A J

Dec 08, 2018

It's a very stimulating course, though not caring for students much. The material sometimes should elaborate more on concepts, say in week 6, it should've been clearer to student what are permutations in a clearer sense.

By Sumit A G

Jun 05, 2018

The lectures were really good, however explanation of more exercises would be a bit helpful as the videos are fairly short, I had problem understanding some of them due to limited number of examples.

By yasuhiko k

Mar 26, 2020

The material was interesting however the instructor Alexander Chen was incomprehensible. He was unable to verbalize a thought or explanation without sounding nonsensical.

By Novak D

Mar 31, 2020

I wish it went a bit more in-depth. I also wish there were more examples to practice. Overall, however, it was a good course, I have learned a lot.

By Neeraj G

Feb 10, 2020

The course was very basic for me when I compared the material with the book of Discrete Mathematics

By Ambarish B

Aug 24, 2019

The lectures aren't good and the assignments are not well explained as to what we need to do.

By Hearan

Sep 17, 2019

The quiz were all very interesting, but sometimes it was hard to understand the lecturers...