Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

JK
Jan 8, 2021

I personally have very limited coding skills. this course was able to build my funadmentals in both math and science while understanding more of the bridge between the two. Very thankful for it.

126 - 150 of 403 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Mohaimen S

Sep 5, 2020

This course was amazing.Alexander Shen sir has awesome power to take attention.His sound and the style of teaching is really nice.

By Alagappan S

Jun 10, 2020

Would be better if we could get a hold of the python algorithm to solve the 15 puzzle. Couldn't learn/solve that by the end

By Prakhar j

Sep 1, 2020

this course is quite good for implementing logics behind mathematical problems in programming i really like the course !!!

By PURVA G

Aug 10, 2020

Made my basics very strong. The course is designed very well and gives you everything you expect out of it , even more .

By Mohit

Jul 6, 2020

This was a very well taught course with an interesting curriculum. Note: Previous python experience is recommended

By djm

Aug 22, 2020

Exceptional explanation by professors. The problems were worth solving and I have enjoyed a lot in the process.

By Liz M

Aug 16, 2020

This is a great course. It supplemented my discrete maths courses at school and helped solidify many concepts.

By Marcos M M

Sep 1, 2020

Excelente curso, recomendable, he sufrido un poco por el inglés; debería haber también en español. GRACIAS.

By Sanjesh C

Jun 30, 2020

This course is really engaging and fun. I really enjoyed it. Anyone who loves puzzles must check the out.

By Mihir N

Jul 11, 2020

All the 4 instructors were just amazing! Excellent Course. I loved the way Shen Sir explains the most.

By Ketan A

Jul 16, 2020

an extremely well taught course. the use of real illustrations of algorithms helps tremendously!

By Anton I

Jun 7, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, although it was sometimes challenging. Feels like back to the uni.

By Priya K

Enjoyed this course. Thank you for all the interactive problem solving examples.. it was fun.

By SAYED A M

Sep 7, 2020

I am very glad to be part of this course. Thanks coursera. I've learned what I've expected.

By SUPAKORN S

Jun 26, 2020

This course is great for anyone who are new to mathematics or want to revise ones' skill.

By Margi V

Jul 9, 2020

The use of interactive puzzle was really helpful and the course was pretty interesting.

By Hamza K

Jul 11, 2020

Amazing. This is very good. Tons of exercises and challenges to get your brain going.

By Daniyar Z

Sep 15, 2018

Nice course! I want to say thanks to teachers. Course was informative and new for me!

By Sandesh C

Jul 19, 2018

Excellent concepts! Had fun and was challenged decently throughout the whole course.

By Matthew

Dec 27, 2017

This is an excellent introduction for anybody needing a foundation for higher math

By Rex K

Jun 17, 2018

I really like the appearance of the professor. He looks like my dad, seriously.

By Ghulam M

Jun 18, 2020

From the course I learnt a lot. The way tutors were teaching that was fabulos.

By Pazhamalai M

May 11, 2019

Super good teaching + awesome tools for practicing = Great learning experience

By Tuan N

The puzzles are fun, the instructors are good but the assignments quite easy.

By Odumosu B

May 22, 2020

Love the course, ain't good at maths, but this course simplifies mathemactics