Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

126 - 150 of 361 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Mihir N

Jul 11, 2020

All the 4 instructors were just amazing! Excellent Course. I loved the way Shen Sir explains the most.

By Ketan A

Jul 16, 2020

an extremely well taught course. the use of real illustrations of algorithms helps tremendously!

By Anton I

Jun 07, 2020

I really enjoyed the course, although it was sometimes challenging. Feels like back to the uni.

By Priya K

Enjoyed this course. Thank you for all the interactive problem solving examples.. it was fun.

By SAYED A M

Sep 07, 2020

I am very glad to be part of this course. Thanks coursera. I've learned what I've expected.

By Supakorn S

Jun 26, 2020

This course is great for anyone who are new to mathematics or want to revise ones' skill.

By Margi V

Jul 09, 2020

The use of interactive puzzle was really helpful and the course was pretty interesting.

By Hamza K

Jul 11, 2020

Amazing. This is very good. Tons of exercises and challenges to get your brain going.

By Daniyar Z

Sep 15, 2018

Nice course! I want to say thanks to teachers. Course was informative and new for me!

By Sandesh C

Jul 19, 2018

Excellent concepts! Had fun and was challenged decently throughout the whole course.

By Matthew M

Dec 27, 2017

This is an excellent introduction for anybody needing a foundation for higher math

By Rex K

Jun 18, 2018

I really like the appearance of the professor. He looks like my dad, seriously.

By Ghulam M

Jun 18, 2020

From the course I learnt a lot. The way tutors were teaching that was fabulos.

By Pazhamalai M

May 11, 2019

Super good teaching + awesome tools for practicing = Great learning experience

By Tuan N

The puzzles are fun, the instructors are good but the assignments quite easy.

By Odumosu B

May 22, 2020

Love the course, ain't good at maths, but this course simplifies mathemactics

By Yang G

Apr 03, 2020

Teachers are great. Except the server for external tool shut down for 2 days.

By Eduardo Z

Sep 18, 2018

The course is well structured, and made interesting with interactive puzzles.

By Kuldeep K

Apr 14, 2020

Thanks a lot for creating such a wonderful course. I learnt a lot this week.

By Wagner F

Aug 12, 2020

Really liked the course, the Puzzles are very intriguing and fun! Thank you

By Jorge L M A

Jul 30, 2020

really good course, a bit complicated at parts but overall really enjoyable

By A A

Jul 08, 2020

I could strengthen the foundation of math for computer science.

Good course.

By SOURAV M

May 28, 2018

Very nice course. Please include more puzzles and programming assignments.

By Guo F

Jul 31, 2020

Very well designed course! Looking forward to the update to the course!

By Aayush K S

Jul 04, 2020

It's well organized course for a beginner. I really enjoyed the course.